CCG or CPJ in the NIL/Portal world

Which of our previous coaches would have prospered more under the NIL/Portal rules of today?

• Chan Gailey - his NFL connections/knowledge would have attracted players

Votes: 35 38.5%
  • Paul Johnson - he could have pulled in players that better fit his system than their previous school

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • Neither - we would have been poached by the other schools

Votes: 23 25.3%

• Total voters
Chan Gailey failed because he couldn't develop a QB. Imagine Haynes King with Calvin, Choice, etc. We sure a hell would've put up more than 6 against WF and all of those UGA games the last few years were close, but frustrating losses that turn into wins.

Chan Gailey failed because he couldn't develop a QB. Imagine Haynes King with Calvin, Choice, etc. We sure a hell would've put up more than 6 against WF and all of those UGA games the last few years were close, but frustrating losses that turn into wins.
No doubt....

One of the saddest things I have ever seen at BDS was Calvin Johnson’s body language after the last play of CoFH. 2005 maybe - we were in or close to the Red zone and Calvin ran a corner route but we passed incomplete to someone else. All I could think about was him having a year to wonder why they didn’t give him the chance.

There were days when I actually hated Pat Nix.

Under portal/NIL:

Chan - We would have probably lost Calvin to some other program; but kept Choice. Chan may have picked up a true QB who was stuck at 2nd string somewhere else and coached him up, thus moving Reggie to some dynamic all purpose player who complimented Choice and other receivers we picked up.

Johnson - We wouldn't have lost too many guys (nobody is poaching G5 size 3-0 guys right??) and would have picked up more Anthony Allen types who weren't getting playing time where they were at; the bigger story could have been picking up some DL guys who were 2nd string in some of the bigger programs. Offense would have still clicked and we may have gotten some much needed defense help.

Under portal/NIL:

Chan - We would have probably lost Calvin to some other program; but kept Choice. Chan may have picked up a true QB who was stuck at 2nd string somewhere else and coached him up, thus moving Reggie to some dynamic all purpose player who complimented Choice and other receivers we picked up.

Johnson - We wouldn't have lost too many guys (nobody is poaching G5 size 3-0 guys right??) and would have picked up more Anthony Allen types who weren't getting playing time where they were at; the bigger story could have been picking up some DL guys who were 2nd string in some of the bigger programs. Offense would have still clicked and we may have gotten some much needed defense help.
No way we lose Calvin in the portal. Too close to his family. I think CPJ would’ve done OK with attracting underutilized talent but not retaining it. He was a pretty tough coach from my understanding

CPJ would have been a net win. He would have been better at attracting guys who weren’t getting playing time elsewhere. At the same time, fewer people would be poaching his players.

CCG would be the opposite. He was good at picking out 2-3 stars who were really 3-4 stars. Those guys, once identified, would have gotten pulled away by the transfer portal.

I get having a chance to get a MNC, but that leaves it to about 10 schools who have a realistic shot at getting one. So the possiblility of GT having a player better than the other hundred schools and them being better than the players at the 10 are fairly slim. Other than playing for a MNC, the exposure at GT will get you first round draft status as we have seen if you are that good.

CPJ would have been a net win. He would have been better at attracting guys who weren’t getting playing time elsewhere. At the same time, fewer people would be poaching his players.
You don't think the factories wouldn't be all over players like Dwyer, Roddy and Bebe?

You don't think the factories wouldn't be all over players like Dwyer, Roddy and Bebe?

Yeah, I feel like our 2009 roster wouldn't have faired well in the previous off-season, but I think we'd have had more shots at a 2014/2016 type roster. Maybe a wash in the end, but who knows.

CCG would be the opposite. He was good at picking out 2-3 stars who were really 3-4 stars. Those guys, once identified, would have gotten pulled away by the transfer portal.

This is the correct answer.

UGA could have recruited Dwyer and Roddy in the 2007 class. They signed the running back from Greater Atl Christian Academy and passed on Dwyer.

pretty sure those were all guys Chan recruited.
But we aren't talking about HS recruiting. We're talking about retention from The Portal, which would have been under CPJ.

UGA could have recruited Dwyer and Roddy in the 2007 class. They signed the running back from Greater Atl Christian Academy and passed on Dwyer.
And in Dwyer's sophomore year he gained more yards (while averaging nearly 7 YPC) than King had in his entire college career (where he eventually was ruled academically ineligible). You think they didn't notice and would pass again?

Why would PJ have been better at attracting players? He was a notoriously poor and stubborn recruiter. Gailey would have been pulling transfers into a pro style offense, an elite defense system knows for blitzes and high sack numbers, and a program that was known for developing multiple NFL players each year.

There's no better answer to the OP's hypothetical question than this right here. Coaches of the X's and O's mindset like PJ can get a lot of W's out of 2 and 3 stars that most likely aren't going to get poached by other P5s. This is the type of value GT needs to seek in order to be a strong contender.

I read this yesterday in regards to BC's coach:

“He wants to go coach football again in a league that is all about football,” a source close to Hafley told ESPN. “College coaching has become fundraising, NIL and recruiting your own team and transfers. There’s no time to coach football anymore."

On that note, I think coaches like PJ will be harder to come by.

But we aren't talking about HS recruiting. We're talking about retention from The Portal, which would have been under CPJ.

And in Dwyer's sophomore year he gained more yards (while averaging nearly 7 YPC) than King had in his entire college career (where he eventually was ruled academically ineligible). You think they didn't notice and would pass again?

Well, that was just the one class, 2007, due to the coaching transition. Now do all of Paul's classes from 2008. I assumed RacerX was talking about recruiting classes by the coach who recruited them.

"You think they didn't notice and would pass again?"

Sure, once King showed his true colors, in a portal world they would try to find a transfer replacement if needed. But again, if they decided Dwyer was a good portal choice for them, he was recruited by Chan. Dwyer first showed out on a big stage up in South Bend in 2007. Everybody knew he was good in 2007. From wiki: Choice battled leg injuries during the course of the 2007 season, which led to Dwyer rushing for 436 yards on 82 attempts and nine touchdowns. He was named to the ACC All-Freshman Team.

Back