CCG or CPJ in the NIL/Portal world

Which of our previous coaches would have prospered more under the NIL/Portal rules of today?

• Chan Gailey - his NFL connections/knowledge would have attracted players

Votes: 35 38.5%
  • Paul Johnson - he could have pulled in players that better fit his system than their previous school

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • Neither - we would have been poached by the other schools

Votes: 23 25.3%

• Total voters
Why would PJ have been better at attracting players? He was a notoriously poor and stubborn recruiter. Gailey would have been pulling transfers into a pro style offense, an elite defense system knows for blitzes and high sack numbers, and a program that was known for developing multiple NFL players each year.

PJ could win anywhere from 6-8 on average and have a run at 9+ now and then by recruiting players that most likely wouldn't have been able to play at the P5 level, much less in the portal. CG could recruit your socks off but you're going to get 7-5, and you will like it. Hard to say if CG's recruiting would result in having more players in NFL vs the portal. I'm going to lean towards portal because GT doesn't strike me as the kind of university that will have the levels of NIL money to keep players around like Crayola University up the street does.

Why would PJ have been better at attracting players? He was a notoriously poor and stubborn recruiter. Gailey would have been pulling transfers into a pro style offense, an elite defense system knows for blitzes and high sack numbers, and a program that was known for developing multiple NFL players each year.
Paul got some transfers in over the years, We don't really know how he would have done at attracting in coming portals. Maybe he would have been a better recruiter for portal players.

Now Chan on the other hand, talk about stubborn, How many transfers would he attract over the losses with his offense genius Pat Nix running the show? And his stellar QB development program? Maybe on defense he could have come out on the plus side. Again, we will never know.

I can chime in about one thing. When CPJ took over for CCG, we stood a good chance at losing Dwyer except that Dwyer already had a good relationship with Johnson because Johnson recruited Dwyer quite heavily while Johnson was at Navy.

RB is a GT man and has a GT heart. I loved his competitiveness but he lacked the passing skill that a QB like HK has. Those 'circus' highlight reel catches by CJ were bad passes from RB. CJ was just able to come down with them with his huge wing span and natural ability of a 5 star WR. Those were the easiest examples. Couple that with a so-so OC and we could never get past 7-4/6-5 or beat UGAY during CGCs tenure.

Players wouldn’t have had to sit a year, so guys like AA would be available right away. Guys trying to leave would get stuck with the system tag, just like when they were getting nfl draft evaluations.

Gailey would be a net loser in my opinion. Bring in an under recruited guy. Develop him and what him walk away to a factor school for his last two years.

That is a look as the game is today. Had the portal existed at the time they were coaching, it would have been worse for CPJ. I think without losing a year of eligibility, most the 08 defensive would have left plus Dwyer and Thomas.

Calvin wouldn’t have left, because he chose Tech over factories anyway. Choice probably wouldn’t have gone anywhere. I’m not sure the defense would have looked so good, however. I don’t think any quality DL would stay as long as they were forced to under the old system.

Players wouldn’t have had to sit a year, so guys like AA would be available right away. Guys trying to leave would get stuck with the system tag, just like when they were getting nfl draft evaluations.

Gailey would be a net loser in my opinion. Bring in an under recruited guy. Develop him and what him walk away to a factor school for his last two years.

That is a look as the game is today. Had the portal existed at the time they were coaching, it would have been worse for CPJ. I think without losing a year of eligibility, most the 08 defensive would have left plus Dwyer and Thomas.

Calvin wouldn’t have left, because he chose Tech over factories anyway. Choice probably wouldn’t have gone anywhere. I’m not sure the defense would have looked so good, however. I don’t think any quality DL would stay as long as they were forced to under the old system.
Sure, CPJ would have pulled in RB transfers - he did that anyway. Do you think we would have been able to recruit defensive transfers to a ööööty D that practiced against then option 90% of the year, do you think he would have been able to retain Gotsis, Attachou, Etc on D?

Players wanted to play for those Tenuta defenses. We got after the passer and blitzed more than anyone. I don’t think it would have been hard for them to pull in players. On offense, Gailey put multiple TEs, OLs, RBs, WRs and a FB in the NFL. Again, he would have had a lot to sell.

One of the saddest things I have ever seen at BDS was Calvin Johnson’s body language after the last play of CoFH. 2005 maybe - we were in or close to the Red zone and Calvin ran a corner route but we passed incomplete to someone else. All I could think about was him having a year to wonder why they didn’t give him the chance.

There were days when I actually hated Pat Nix.
2004-2006 we had no excuses to beat them. SMH.

You don't think the factories wouldn't be all over players like Dwyer, Roddy and Bebe?
There are two separate questions here, I was answering the second.

1.Had the portal been in place, would it have hurt CCG or CPJ worse?
2. Would the portal hurt a CCG or CPJ program more?

For the first question, I think CPJ loses a ton of the existing team in 2008, including all of the best players except JfN and Roddy.

I don’t think the portal hurts CCG any worse than fluckgate his first few years.

But I don’t see a Gailey program retaining any of the gems he found and developed.

A CPJ program looks more like the 2012-2018 years. Maybe a guy like Vad or Hill leave, but tge program impact isn’t so great. Your OL like Mason are safe. You’re QB like JT5 are safe. Basically, your stars are safe from pilfering except a guy like Sneezy, but like Calvin he picked (Groh) over factories.

Sure, CPJ would have pulled in RB transfers - he did that anyway. Do you think we would have been able to recruit defensive transfers to a ööööty D that practiced against then option 90% of the year, do you think he would have been able to retain Gotsis, Attachou, Etc on D?

Players wanted to play for those Tenuta defenses. We got after the passer and blitzed more than anyone. I don’t think it would have been hard for them to pull in players. On offense, Gailey put multiple TEs, OLs, RBs, WRs and a FB in the NFL. Again, he would have had a lot to sell.

Gotsis - safe late bloomer
Attachou - had offers anyway

We didn’t have a lot of defensive stars from 2012-2018 to get stolen. Mostly guys who were good for us, not top talent.

PJ could win anywhere from 6-8 on average and have a run at 9+ now and then by recruiting players that most likely wouldn't have been able to play at the P5 level, much less in the portal. CG could recruit your socks off but you're going to get 7-5, and you will like it. Hard to say if CG's recruiting would result in having more players in NFL vs the portal. I'm going to lean towards portal because GT doesn't strike me as the kind of university that will have the levels of NIL money to keep players around like Crayola University up the street does.
I firmly believe George Washington would have been better than Abe Lincoln if both had the use of nuclear weapons.

I am pretty confident that a CPJ program would have benefited from the portal. I think we would have had a better shot at Justin Thomas types in the portal than out of HS, because the HS kids are still naive while portal kids would realize that GT is one of their only opportunities to continue pursuing that dream.

Honestly, I have a feeling we would have pulled a lot of kids who flamed out at factories, along with some overachieving WR/RB tweeners at small schools that saw us as a shot to go P5.

Overall we may have taken a little bit of a hit on defense, but I think our offense would have been significantly better, as good as it already was.

Reactions: eg1
RB is a GT man and has a GT heart. I loved his competitiveness but he lacked the passing skill that a QB like HK has. Those 'circus' highlight reel catches by CJ were bad passes from RB. CJ was just able to come down with them with his huge wing span and natural ability of a 5 star WR. Those were the easiest examples. Couple that with a so-so OC and we could never get past 7-4/6-5 or beat UGAY during CGCs tenure.
RB would have been a BAMF under CPJ

S Days and Z Laskey were a 1-2 punch B Back wise for CPJ. 6'2" and 6'3" and over 200 lbs. They ran over people.

PJ never recruited a full slate of players and that wouldn’t have changed with NIL.
Actually, I think the portal as it stands today would incentivize any coach to "over-recruit", even CPJ. It's easier to rationalize that the kids you "process" can find opportunities at another school better suited to their talents.

I think the question should have been who would be the most successful in the 12 team CFP? I believe that it would have been Paul Johnson. I also think Brent Key gives us a great chance also if he can keep building on what he has started! We have Hope!

Back