CCG Retiring

Yall that like to dig at the man who kept the ship from sinking amidst several systemic problems are stupid morons

It could have been a lot worse than not one losing season while we were on probation

Bunch of ungrateful dumbasses you are

Gailey is the deadest horse in the history of dead horses.

I'm sure the debate will continue for decades to come but put me down for "dear God, can we just stop talking about this guy?"

What made 51-7 worse then 42-10 in 2012?

I am asking out of ignorance and curiosity as I was not a fan until I was enrolled at Tech until 2006.
51-7 was witnessing a complete dismantling of the team where significant portions of the team completely quit giving a öööö during the game. It showed a complete lack of pride or motivation. If you were there you'd never forget it. I was not around for Lewis years, but imagine that is what the "team quit on the coach" felt like but for an entire season.

I was not happy with the hiring of CCG, but I gave him a chance. He won some big games for sure, AU and Miami come to mind, and he did take us to the ACCCG, but as we know that game was a total debacle, and there were plenty of mind-boggling losses (I sat through the entire 51-7 nightmare).

My lasting memory of Chan Gailey is an interview he gave to Chris Dimino, think it was a couple of weeks before he was let go from GT, he honestly thought he had done a good job -he "won the games he was supposed to" were his exact words. He seemed to have the Dave Braine mentality that you could never win 8-9 game consistently at Tech.

Nice guy, met the man at a few speaking engagements, but I was glad to see him go.

I know all NY Jets fans will miss that exciting Chan Gailey offense much like many Tech fans yearn for and harken back to those days Chan exploited our opponents Saturday after Saturday with dazzling offensive game plans.

Go Jackets!

I'll be nice. He hired Tenuta, signed Calvin and was a good judge of talent. He had some great players - Wheeler LB, M Johnson DE, Robertson DE, Morgan DE, Anthony Allen RB, Tashard Choice RB, Andrew Gardner OT, Gary Guyton LB, Darryl Richard DT, Vance Walker DT, Anoia DT, James Butler S, PJ Daniels RB, Eric Henderson DE, Dawan Landry S, Chris Reis S, Kenny Scott CB. Almost 70% of those guys had decent pro careers despite most not being highly recruited. Just could never develop a QB, hired P*t N** (BAD MOVE) and had some unlucky losses to UGA.

51-7 was witnessing a complete dismantling of the team where significant portions of the team completely quit giving a öööö during the game. It showed a complete lack of pride or motivation. If you were there you'd never forget it. I was not around for Lewis years, but imagine that is what the "team quit on the coach" felt like but for an entire season.
ogletree-slam2-11-24-121.gif

And we got goal-posted @ Duke
(I'm actually a CCG fan, but I'll also pile on as needed.)

Since we're on Chan and 51-7 got brought up....

Wanna see some crazy öööö that disappeared down the memory hole?

Look, it's our base offensive formation:

GTSO.jpg

Oh, but wait. That's actually from the 51-7 game.

Chan freaking Gailey actually installed a Paul Johnson style option package using WR Jonathan Smith as QB.

I've never seen anyone mention this, ever.

This blew my mind. The announcers in this game talk about it for a bit. Mentioning they watched it in practice, and even bring up Paul Johnson.

I didn't see us run any actual option out of it. Just hand offs to the "B back".

I don't know how much time was put into it, or how involved they got. I'd guess not very. Seems like something he abandoned pretty quickly.

Last edited:

GTSO.jpg

Chan freaking Gailey actually installed a Paul Johnson style option package using WR Jonathan Smith as QB.

This blew my mind. The announcers in this game talk about it for a bit. Mentioning they watched it in practice, and even bring up Paul Johnson.

I didn't see us run any actual option out of it. Just hand offs to the "B back".

I don't know how much time was put into it, or how involved they got. I'd guess not very. Seems like something he abandoned pretty quickly.

very cool

GTSO.jpg

Eh. The formation doesn't mean much without the motion, the option, etc.

He brought us Calvin, Bebe, Dwyer, Nesbitt, MJ, Hawaii 5-0, Ant, Morgan Burnett, Wheeler, Vance, Roddy, Bedford, and Derrick Morgan. We had one of the best DLs in Tech history thanks to his recruiting. Kept us from any losing seasons during sanctions. I give him a tip of the hat. But I'm still glad he's gone.

His tenure felt like being hushed at the library. If you dared get excited about a possible championship or win streak, you'd get punished with a 9-6 loss to Wake in the cold rain. And the nail was never beating Mark Richt.

Last edited:
You guys talk about 51-7 like there was only one of those.
No one gives two öööös about the other one. The UGA 51-7 is the only one that matters. VPISU is ööööing irrelevant.

Back