CGC Comments at FCA Luncheon

Good answer to the question about beating UGA. The real answer I think will be 3-4 years.

why-lie-u-love-that-jesus-juice.jpg

Great write up.

Was this a GT chapter of FCA, or a larger encompassing group?

Again, thanks.

I thought it was live or die by the triple option playbook and star rankings didn’t matter

He was definitely a believer in his scheme, but I don’t think he ever said recruiting wasn’t important. He just wasn’t as good at it as CGC has proven to be so far. There were probably comments about star rankings, but that was likely more directed as criticism to the recruiting services than to needing quality players (i.e. adding stars to players that commit to factories) .

So while I would say CGC’s “scheme doesn’t matter” statement is a 180, I don’t think the players/recruiting part is. Maybe more of like a 45-90.

Edit: as to not completely derail and DUT this thread up...thanks for taking notes OP. Good read!

Last edited:
He was definitely a believer in his scheme, but I don’t think he ever said recruiting wasn’t important. He just wasn’t as good at it as CGC has proven to be so far. There were probably comments about star rankings, but that was likely more directed as criticism to the recruiting services than to needing quality players (i.e. adding stars to players that commit to factories) .

So while I would say CGC’s “scheme doesn’t matter” statement is a 180, I don’t think the players/recruiting part is.

I see - thank you

I recall several occasions when Paul Johnson said emphatically that superior players usually trump schemes.

The quote was: "physical superiority cancels all theories." I remember that in reference to the Orange Bowl game vs. Iowa in which Iowa's D put the clamps down on the offense (IIRC, Iowa had like 7 or 8 of the 11 on d that night play in the NFL, including Adrian Clayborne, who is back with the Falcons).

Back