Chad Morris ded

gtrower

Dodd-Like
Maybe Vandy. Other than that no chance. It would be AD malpractice to hire an option coach after seeing our transition out.
This season would have looked a lot different with Braun and Adams in the lineup. Not to mention two more OL starters lost for the year. I still maintain that we have a good chance at winning the Coastal this year with Braun/Adams.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Does Morris get any credit for bringing SMU back? Did Belema(?) screw up ark this bad?

Would be surprised if they dont court memphis coach.
Norvell would be a great hire. If I were him, I would hold out for something better, though. He should have his pick of some good jobs.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
This season would have looked a lot different with Braun and Adams in the lineup. Not to mention two more OL starters lost for the year. I still maintain that we have a good chance at winning the Coastal this year with Braun/Adams.
We'll never know. We can only play the hand we are dealt.

One or both could have been hurt for the year on the first scrimmage snap. And we'd complain about all the darn luck. Instead, we get ready for Poly.

Diseqc

Dodd-Like
Arkansas is gonna be a tough job with both Alabama and a rejuvenated LSU in the same division.

AmpuTECHture

Drain Lake Powell
Norvell would be a great hire. If I were him, I would hold out for something better, though. He should have his pick of some good jobs.
Norvell has serious skeletons in his closet. Arky (and msu) already passed on him the first go around so I wouldn't expect to see him end up anywhere soon actually.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Norvell has serious skeletons in his closet. Arky (and msu) already passed on him the first go around so I wouldn't expect to see him end up anywhere soon actually.
Wasn't aware of that. We supposedly talked to him. F$U may not mind some skeletons.

Walton

Damn Good Rat
1) I doubt Johnson gets a Power 5 job

2) Vandy makes a little sense but is too much like Tech/Navy. Why would Johnson want to be so outgunned by the competition?

3) Arkansas has a history of run first and great RBs. Their fanbase likely knows they have to be different to compete plus they aren’t a football first school. Johnson wouldn’t have any recruiting restrictions. IMO, it would make sense for Ark but still not sure Johnson would take it.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
We'll never know. We can only play the hand we are dealt.

One or both could have been hurt for the year on the first scrimmage snap. And we'd complain about all the darn luck. Instead, we get ready for Poly.
My point was that losing our best OL and DL - both likely all conference players - played a part in making the transition away from the option so difficult.

GTMoney

I Don't Make Trash, I Burn It
Wasn't he the OC that left Clemson and we thought they were going to take a step back as a result?

BeeStorm

The Dark Side of the Force
I bet they hire PAUL JOHNSON and win 9 games next season. They’ll beat Alabama three times in Tuscaloosa, win bowl games, and finish in the Top Ten. But, man, when he leaves them in eleven years, they won’t have enough talent to beat The Citadel or win three games.
wherever he winds up will become my other favorite team..

Walton

Damn Good Rat
Interesting comments in a The Athletic article. I recommend subscribing but I'll post an excerpt here. (if that isn't allowed, let me know). Basically, shows how easy it is for a transition to go bad. Given where GT was to where it wants to go in 3-4 years, I think Collins is doing a great job with the players/locker room/culture. It will eventually pay off.

"Sources have told The Athletic that Morris made it clear early in his tenure that he didn’t intend to play certain guys. That’s probably part of the reason why it seems like older players — Bielema recruits — weren’t upset with Morris’s firing.

“It was made known to a lot of the players that they weren’t going to be used or they didn’t fit the scheme, and they gave them enough time to know that you might as well jump in the transfer portal instead of being here,” said a parent who agreed to talk under the condition of anonymity. “Some decided to stay and get their education, and some just went ahead and jumped ship.”

Players, such as tight end Cheyenne O’Grady, admitted earlier this season that the locker room was somewhat divided last year, and many quit on the team effort-wise after a few of the early losses. Some of the division that was mentioned then, perhaps, stemmed from Morris’s alleged attitude toward the players he inherited. A source said many felt disrespected by the emphasis he put on his incoming recruits (this year’s freshmen) as the focal point of the new era of Arkansas football.

“It made a divide because many of them felt like he was making it known that they were not his players,” the parent said on Sunday. “That’s how they felt. He didn’t come in and embrace them as his players, like, ‘You’re my players, too.’”

https://theathletic.com/1365750/2019/11/11/a-divided-locker-room-what-doomed-chad-morris-arkansas/

Olgoldandwhie

Flats Noob
Where’s Frank Broyles when you need him?
I remember when Morris was the flavor of the week.

GTFLETCH

Dodd-Like
Interesting comments in a The Athletic article. I recommend subscribing but I'll post an excerpt here. (if that isn't allowed, let me know). Basically, shows how easy it is for a transition to go bad. Given where GT was to where it wants to go in 3-4 years, I think Collins is doing a great job with the players/locker room/culture. It will eventually pay off.

"Sources have told The Athletic that Morris made it clear early in his tenure that he didn’t intend to play certain guys. That’s probably part of the reason why it seems like older players — Bielema recruits — weren’t upset with Morris’s firing.

“It was made known to a lot of the players that they weren’t going to be used or they didn’t fit the scheme, and they gave them enough time to know that you might as well jump in the transfer portal instead of being here,” said a parent who agreed to talk under the condition of anonymity. “Some decided to stay and get their education, and some just went ahead and jumped ship.”

Players, such as tight end Cheyenne O’Grady, admitted earlier this season that the locker room was somewhat divided last year, and many quit on the team effort-wise after a few of the early losses. Some of the division that was mentioned then, perhaps, stemmed from Morris’s alleged attitude toward the players he inherited. A source said many felt disrespected by the emphasis he put on his incoming recruits (this year’s freshmen) as the focal point of the new era of Arkansas football.

“It made a divide because many of them felt like he was making it known that they were not his players,” the parent said on Sunday. “That’s how they felt. He didn’t come in and embrace them as his players, like, ‘You’re my players, too.’”

https://theathletic.com/1365750/2019/11/11/a-divided-locker-room-what-doomed-chad-morris-arkansas/
So it would seem Coach Collins is doing it the right way! I mean CGC could turn out to be the next PJ Fleck...just look at Minn.... Or he could ens up like Chad Morris... Only time will tell!

Walton

Damn Good Rat
So it would seem Coach Collins is doing it the right way! I mean CGC could turn out to be the next PJ Fleck...just look at Minn.... Or he could ens up like Chad Morris... Only time will tell!
I think in "that way" he is doing a great job. Honestly, it would have been understandable if he had thrown the players under the bus given the change in scheme but everyone is glad he didn't and the examples from Arkansas, FSU and others is that is the wrong way to do it and typically turns on you.

And still some fans criticize him for anything that they think is a vague or veiled criticism of the old staff or the players.