Changes to Overtime Rules in 2021

RoanokeJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We have no shortage of math nerds, so one of y'all check me. I think if the first team makes theirs the second team has to have a stretch somewhere of 3 out of 4 good outcomes, which seems uneven. If the first team misses then the second team only needs one good outcome, which also seems more uneven.

I guess that is the same thing as having drives is now but one play each seems more random, especially the very first play.

ramblinwise1

beware the zealot
Why don't they do something really stupid? Like have a player tee up the ball on the 20 yard line, put one defender between him and the goal and make him have to kick it under the cross bar and inside the uprights? Give each team 5 tries and the team making the most wins.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
Ga tech vs Tennessee or vs georgia in 2014
We had no business losing that game to Tennessee, but the stakes were just so much higher in the 2014 UGA game. Both were definitely roller coasters, though.

athensjacket

Varsity Lurker
That's sort of the point. I'm not sure why you prefer the pro overtime then, though, since it even more heavily favors the team that wins the coin toss.
Not according to this:

First call: Would NFL be better off going with college overtime rules? | TribLIVE.com

"In the NFL, 52.7 percent of teams winning the overtime coin toss (and receiving) win the game at some point in overtime, according to Ross Tucker of SiriusXM NFL Radio. In college football, the team that wins the coin toss (and defers) wins 54.9 percent of the time."

RamblinWreck09

Greatly appreciated amongst mid 30s Turkish males
Overtime should be replaced by a 5 vs 5 game of dodge ball.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
Not according to this:

First call: Would NFL be better off going with college overtime rules? | TribLIVE.com

"In the NFL, 52.7 percent of teams winning the overtime coin toss (and receiving) win the game at some point in overtime, according to Ross Tucker of SiriusXM NFL Radio. In college football, the team that wins the coin toss (and defers) wins 54.9 percent of the time."
Got me there. Nonetheless, an NFL team isn't even guaranteed a possession, which is just silly, especially as the league trends toward offensive-friendly rules.

Walton

Damn Good Rat
I like the idea of no FGs or extra points in OT. As others pointed out, the current rules give the 1st defense team a huge advantage.

I’m fine with calling a game a tie if it is still tied after 2 OTs.