Charles Kelly to FSU as Linebackers Coach

fwiw, Hudson was making $305k/yr as FSU's linebacker coach starting in 2010 with a 3yr contract.

Rumors out in the twittersphere: Hudson to Purdue.

Candidates dropping like flies.

Rumors out in the twittersphere: Hudson to Purdue.

Candidates dropping like flies.

If Kelly was told the job wants going to be his, then we have to be pretty far along in the process and probably already know who the guy is.

Oh öööö. Big loss for us in terms of recruiting even though ours hasn't exactly been stellar. FSU doesn't really need help in that department but I'm sure their GA recruiting will get a big boost from Kelly.

I have to wonder if CAM is in the mix. He has real life experience with excellent results. Check is resume. It appeared to me he was the on filed go to guy for CPJ. I saw CAM take the brunt of several chewings. I think he would be a great hire. He has been successful and is recognized as a great recruiter.

I will miss CCK he appeared to bleed white and gold.

This is a shocking development. No sarcasm implied - I'm seriously surprised.

I wonder if more shakeups are coming...

I'm not. I said before I'd be surprised if Kelly were hired. CPJ is more circumspect and objective than the fans who have short memories and limited information.

The players in '01 (and some of the fan base) wanted Mac McWhorter to stay on as HC.

I'm glad someone else remembers this. Kelly was completely McWhorter redoux.

Couldn't have been too much worse if he had.

This is true but many fans went completely apeshit over him because he won one middling bowl game. It wasn't justified. It was ridiculous and bizarre.

The problem wasn't that we didn't hire McWhorter; it was that we hired Gailey.

I'm not. I said before I'd be surprised if Kelly were hired. CPJ is more circumspect and objective than the fans who have short memories and limited information.

Not shocked that CCK didn't get the DC job... but FSU LB coach? Bleh.

He was a good coach, but I am not sure he was HC material. He never got an offer for a HC anywhere else, which is surprising.

It's not like Chan was huge upgrade.

Why is it surprising he never got an offer anywhere? Were any schools ever sniffing around considering him? He was a HC for one year at West Georgia and immediately went back to a position coach job. It seems either he topped out or has no interest in more than Assistant Head Coach jobs.

For all the grief Chan has gotten he had a stint as a HC in the NFL on his résumé before GT and after GT. And I am guessing he will get an offer somewhere else within a year or two (if he seeks one.)

Not shocked that CCK didn't get the DC job... but FSU LB coach? Bleh.

What? This is an upgrade. I hope we have Lovie Smith or somebody coming in bc if the D is subpar next season it will be CPJ last season at Tech.

If I dressed my daughter up as the school mascot and then didnt get the job, I'd be pissed!

Well, that sucks.

Imagine we'll hear CPJ's choice in a few days, then ...

For all the grief Chan has gotten he had a stint as a HC in the NFL on his résumé before GT and after GT. And I am guessing he will get an offer somewhere else within a year or two (if he seeks one.)

And he'll probably be fired from that job within a few years too. You have to hand it to the guy. He's managed to make a great deal of cash for being a mediocre coach.

I think it's a piss poor stupid move by PJ to let the man out of the building.

What? This is an upgrade. I hope we have Lovie Smith or somebody coming in bc if the D is subpar next season it will be CPJ last season at Tech.

This. I can give you a pass on the first awful DC. I could even give you a pass on the second. But letting a proven commodity walk away like that is just ööööing stupid on every level.

Those of you talking about needing a DC with more fire have obviously never seen CCK during practice. Kelly had a fantastic blend of likability, demand for respect from his players, and willingness to teach. He could lay into players with the best of them though. I'll assure you that it was no fun to be on the receiving end of CCK's anger. I think he would have been a good hire, but wish him well at FSU.

Back