Check This Out

CornerBlitz

To be the man you have to beat the man
95418993-F704-4B59-A2E5-7808F2D94A75.jpeg
I just found this cleaning out my basement. I was at the game as a kid to witness the GT victory. I forgot how long we were with Russell. Thought some of you old timers would appreciate.

I just found this cleaning out my basement. I was at the game as a kid to witness the GT victory. I forgot how long we were with Russell. Thought some of you old timers would appreciate.

That’s really cool!

Tech was a good team in 1985. Beat UGA and had one of Auburn’s best Bo Jackson teams beat.

Old guy check-in thread?

Old guy here, my wife and I were at that bowl game, it was evening of Dec 31, 1985. Also notable for the date that singer Ricky Nelson and some band members died in a plane crash.

But I don’t have that bowl game shirt though, glad you shared that. And we did win that game too but it was close, an entertaining game with the win.

I was there also. My mom died Memorial Day weekend suddenly and I have been cleaning out her home and basement since then. I have found all kinds of crazy stuff like that.

But I am younger than CGC so I can’t be an old-timer. Lol

I was there too. Remember our last drive where Todd Rampley threw an incomplete pass on 4th down late in the game but MS got a roughing call giving us a first down. Also, I believe Andre Rison was named the MVP as voting took place before the game was over. Malcolm King should have won the award.

Last edited:
Were we with Russell? Before my time, but I thought we were STARter in 1990.

I was at the beach in Pensacola during the game and didn't get to attend. But I listened (or watched?). We were a good team that year and going to that bowl felt like 'Tech was back'. Still the second-best season of the post-Dodd era on a win-percentage basis (after 1990 obvs).

I was there too. Remember our last drive where Todd Rampley threw an incomplete pass on 4th down late in the game but MS got a roughing call giving us a first down. Also, I believe Andre Rison was named the MVP as voting took place before the game was over. Malcom King should have won the award.
I've got the paper with Malcom King's picture on front page of Birmingham sports section of paper somewhere in my collection. I was HS student at time. Dad took the family to game. My mom said yes if it wasn't on Christmas Day in the rain, which was our last bowl. All American Bowl was one great time and memory.

I was there also. My mom died Memorial Day weekend suddenly and I have been cleaning out her home and basement since then. I have found all kinds of crazy stuff like that.

According to my daughters, we’re both old timers and CGC is ancient.

I was probably in middle school when I attended. I recall everyone chanting “ACC, ACC” as we walked out of the stadium. Without looking it up, I believe it was at Legion Field in Bham.

Sorry about your Mom bro. Hopefully this is uplifting.

I was there too. Remember our last drive where Todd Rampley threw an incomplete pass on 4th down late in the game but MS got a roughing call giving us a first down. Also, I believe Andre Rison was named the MVP as voting took place before the game was over. Malcolm King should have won the award.

IIRC, it was an interception, not an incompletion. King had a long run to get us down inside the 10 late. We had not had much offense before that.

Watched it on tv and remember the announcers jinxing the MS RB (White?) by talking about him not fumbling and he fumbled in that series to give us the win. Without our QB playing, I thought there was no way we win that game.

Yeah, I'm old, too.

Wasn’t Gary Lee suspended for this game as well? Malcolm King was incredible. Ted Roof played lights out. Andre Rison was unstoppable. Birmingham was the pits.

According to my daughters, we’re both old timers and CGC is ancient.

I was probably in middle school when I attended. I recall everyone chanting “ACC, ACC” as we walked out of the stadium. Without looking it up, I believe it was at Legion Field in Bham.
Yep would guess we are the same age. Fun times. We stayed at the same hotel that night as the MSU band. It was a little loud! lol

I, 26 years old in 1985, was at the game with my Dad. Tech finished 9-2-1, with a loss to George Welsh Virginia and a tie to Tennessee after Jerry Mays got injured versus Auburn the week before.

I was there and it was cold. I didn't have that shirt, but one like it and I think I still have my kazoo from the halftime show. Dewberry was suspended and that is why Rampley was playing.

Back