Chip Kelly proposal to save college football

The $EC or E$PN will never go for it.
This. The SEC and B1G will never go for it. They now control CFB. Add in ESPN, Fox, NBC, CBS funneling in the $$$ for the made for TV games.

Not sure if some of you saw, but the SEC is going to flex games out Thanksgiving weekend between Thanksgiving night through Saturday. Outside of the COVID 2020 season, we’ve never seen this in CFB. I assume this will now become the norm for all conferences starting as soon as next year.

Kelly’s idea of separating CFB from the other college sports is what truly needs to happen. Let the P4 run themselves without the NCAA. The NCAA can still oversee G5 and below.

the other conference should be GFY not GoF
As evidence of the current 4 team CFP, the other 4 conferences let the SEC run the show and get their way. And now, it’s 2 conferences running the show (B1G, SEC). Supposedly per “insiders” rumors are Sankey and Petitti have pretty much made it known that if they don’t agree to any changes related to the new 12 team CFP, they will have their own Playoff to determine a champion. So yet again, there’s nothing the ACC + ND, B12 or now defunct P12 could do about it.

The top ranked G5 component is what will likely go away the minute a G5 team isn’t undefeated.

This. The SEC and B1G will never go for it. They now control CFB. Add in ESPN, Fox, NBC, CBS funneling in the $$$ for the made for TV games.

Not sure if some of you saw, but the SEC is going to flex games out Thanksgiving weekend between Thanksgiving night through Saturday. Outside of the COVID 2020 season, we’ve never seen this in CFB. I assume this will now become the norm for all conferences starting as soon as next year.

Kelly’s idea of separating CFB from the other college sports is what truly needs to happen. Let the P4 run themselves without the NCAA. The NCAA can still oversee G5 and below.
I think the non-SEC/B1G P5 teams have more leverage than they realize to force this. If the $EC and B1G$ balk to a lesser share (why wouldn't they?), the non-P2 teams could just say you need to play us more than we need to play you guys so we will not schedule any P2 teams until this happens. I mean, I don't think the B1G and SEC playing only each other during the regular season and post season is going to generate the eyeballs enough to warrant their mammoth TV contracts. The non-P5 teams would then just play each other as a more appealing and diverse package of games. My point is there could be more leverage for this than we think.

I think the non-SEC/B1G P5 teams have more leverage than they realize to force this. If the $EC and B1G$ balk to a lesser share (why wouldn't they?), the non-P2 teams could just say you need to play us more than we need to play you guys so we will not schedule any P2 teams until this happens. I mean, I don't think the B1G and SEC playing only each other during the regular season and post season is going to generate the eyeballs enough to warrant their mammoth TV contracts. The non-P5 teams would then just play each other as a more appealing and diverse package of games. My point is there could be more leverage for this than we think.
I agree with you, and don’t understand why the other conferences have always caved to the SEC (especially when it was 4 conferences to 1). But as mentioned above, now Sankey has a playing partner in Petitii.

Supposedly per “insiders” rumors are Sankey and Petitti have pretty much made it known that if they don’t agree to any changes related to the new 12 team CFP, they will have their own Playoff to determine a champion. So yet again, there’s nothing the ACC + ND, B12 or now defunct P12 could do about it.

The SEC / B1G feel they are the 2 conferences who determine a champion, and would be just fine playing a Playoff between themselves to crown a MNC.

They (SEC / B1G) have all the leverage at this point. They know they could poach ND, Clemson, FSU, Miami, etc if push comes to shove and don’t agree with proposed changes, etc by the ACC, B12.

The other factor is all of this CFB reorganization is based upon an unsustainable business model of bigger and bigger contracts from broadcasting corporations that have been undergoing contraction ever since the streaming video broke their business model of eyeballs = $$$ to charge advertisers. The broadcasters are hemorrhaging money and only lives sports has maintained its value but that house of cards will eventually collapse as you can extract blood from a bleeding turnip for so long. Once capitulation finally happens from the broadcasters it will be a blood bath.

I have always believed basically this. The sec/big make these threats that they’ll just start their own league with their own champion. PLEASE MAKE THAT LEAGUE AND GO AWAY. Let their fans enjoy their very limited circle jerk while the rest of the country plays college football. Very quickly, the only people in the world who will care about that league will be fans of the involved schools, and literally no one else. It will be öööötier than the nfl absent the allure of college football.

The other factor is all of this CFB reorganization is based upon an unsustainable business model of bigger and bigger contracts from broadcasting corporations that have been undergoing contraction ever since the streaming video broke their business model of eyeballs = $$$ to charge advertisers. The broadcasters are hemorrhaging money and only lives sports has maintained its value but that house of cards will eventually collapse as you can extract blood from a bleeding turnip for so long. Once capitulation finally happens from the broadcasters it will be a blood bath.
Nailed it. And this is why Kelly has said CFB needs to break off from the other NCAA sports. The CFB $$$ carries the other non revenue sports. CBB $$$ would become their own TV deal.

I have always believed basically this. The sec/big make these threats that they’ll just start their own league with their own champion. PLEASE MAKE THAT LEAGUE AND GO AWAY. Let their fans enjoy their very limited circle jerk while the rest of the country plays college football. Very quickly, the only people in the world who will care about that league will be fans of the involved schools, and literally no one else. It will be öööötier than the nfl absent the allure of college football.
I mean, it’s the NFC (SEC) and AFC (SEC) at this point, right? Feels like things are just heading towards the NFL model.

Both conferences have shown they will just turn CFB into relegation in a way if the ACC, B12 push back at any of their demands related to the CFP. They’ll just keep adding bigger programs (ND, FSU, Clemson) and push out others (ex. Rutgers, Maryland, eventually Vandy).

I know June Jones proposed the G5 move to Spring a play for their own MNC about 10 years ago, and while that doesn’t look like it will happen, it very well could end up being the leftovers from the ACC, B12 + G5 have their own CFP and MNC in the future unless something changes the SEC / B1G momentum.

Given the amount of bitching on this forum over not playing FSU and Clemson enough and playing WF or Cuse too much, I'm not sure I believe you that the rest of CFB could call the bluff and not have fan revolts.

Add in how much the other reasons given for wanting certain teams more is for more visiting fans to sell tickets to.

And they also announced Monday Night in the SEC to compete with MNF. Their egos are unbridled now.

What do you mean? Lot of college games have been played on Thanksgiving and Friday after. Tech/Dwags played on Thanksgiving twice in the 1990s.

What do you mean? Lot of college games have been played on Thanksgiving and Friday after. Tech/Dwags played on Thanksgiving twice in the 1990s.
They are going to flex the games later in the season like the NFL does. Meaning, they are set for Saturday now and could move to Thursday night, Friday and Friday night as Thanksgiving weekend gets closer during the season.

They are going to flex the games later in the season like the NFL does. Meaning, they are set for Saturday now and could move to Thursday night, Friday and Friday night as Thanksgiving weekend gets closer during the season.

May as well. No one attends in person anymore.

Given the amount of bitching on this forum over not playing FSU and Clemson enough and playing WF or Cuse too much, I'm not sure I believe you that the rest of CFB could call the bluff and not have fan revolts.

Add in how much the other reasons given for wanting certain teams more is for more visiting fans to sell tickets to.
Of course everyone would love to have the marquee teams on their schedule. However, given our very long term survival in CFB is at stake, I'm sure we would unite on this front if it forced our way to the table. At this point, I'd rather have the whole thing burn down than become part of what it has become, which is the NFL without rules on free agency and no salary cap. There's a reason the NFL maintains its popularity and that is because everyone has an equal chance and a level playing field. Imagine the NFL without a salary cap or FA movement restrictions? Jerry Jones would have bought 10 championships by now.

Do we (the ACC) not also have a contract with ESPN?
Our deal is like that Gatlinburg timeshare you signed up for because it seemed like a good idea at the time, but now you know the salesman (Swofford) was just screwing you and padding his own pockets.

The SEC/BIG10 deals are like getting the keys to that ski chalet in Park City.

Back