Clemson's hype train is bigger than ours

Clemson doesn't look that impressive on paper, to me. Not great size at LB. I don't know why everyone thinks they are going to be so tough.

Clemson is in trouble. Wow at the attrition. A 4th year senior DT leaving is going to hurt.

Tim Byerly had a higher total QBR (98.5) than Watson (90.8) in 2014.

Watson's playing time was against (team passing defense ranking):
- NC State (#55)
- Florida State (#56)
- South Carolina (#88)
- North Carolina (#117)

People seem to be putting an awful lot of faith in a guy who has limited playing time against poor defenses.

So, let me get it straight. The guy checks out of certain defensive looks, and he's Peyton Manning? Get back to me when Watson practically calls his own plays

So, let me get it straight. The guy checks out of certain defensive looks, and he's Peyton Manning? Get back to me when Watson practically calls his own plays

I mean öööö, Tevin Washington did that too. Guess we didn't know what we had there.

Clemson's hype train is an annual occurrence, people. As is their annual disappointment and annual amnesia. It sells tickets in a town of people with the memory of a goldfish.

This year, 14 Clemson players from last years team signed a deal with an NFL team. They are completely rebuilding. I think they may well be the most overrated football team ever. There are half a dozen teams on our schedule that concern me more than Clemson. I cannot tell you how much I am looking forward to watching online as their Gomer Pyle fanbase slips into the darkest depression they have ever experienced. The joy I'm going to get from that schadenfreude is going to rival snorting... Well I probably shouldn't finish that here.

I remember when ppl viewed GT/Clemson as a friendly rivalry.

I do too, but that ended a few years ago after Clemson started winning just a little bit and their fans went from being friendly to arrogant, insufferable and delusional.

This year, 14 Clemson players from last years team signed a deal with an NFL team. They are completely rebuilding. I think they may well be the most overrated football team ever. There are half a dozen teams on our schedule that concern me more than Clemson. I cannot tell you how much I am looking forward to watching online as their Gomer Pyle fanbase slips into the darkest depression they have ever experienced. The joy I'm going to get from that schadenfreude is going to rival snorting... Well I probably shouldn't finish that here.

I would honestly be less surprised by the season ending with Dabo unemployed than I would by Clemson ending up in the ACCCG.

I would honestly be less surprised by the season ending with Dabo unemployed than I would by Clemson ending up in the ACCCG.

Dabo would need to string together several bad seasons to lose his job. They could miss a bowl game and he'd still be safe. He's on contract through 2021 for $3+ m per year.

What he said :biggthumpup:

If USCe beats Clemson again to make it 5 out of 6 (IIRC), that alone might sink Dabo. I think he would have been fired had he lost to USC last year.

If USCe beats Clemson again to make it 5 out of 6 (IIRC), that alone might sink Dabo. I think he would have been fired had he lost to USC last year.

I don't think it would be that simple, but I also don't buy into the idea that Dabo is untouchable. Looking at their schedule, it would actually be pretty hard for them to not make a bowl game, but 5 losses is not unthinkable. It would take a total meltdown, missing a bowl and losing to USCe but it's not impossible with the way things are going up there.

Some of you guys won't let your obsession with Dabo go. I'm SO glad we have PJ and would literally not trade him for any other coach, but to pretend like Dabo has done anything other than an incredible job at Clemson is ignorant.

Also, consider that his overwhelming success at Clemson has come at a time when the usually pathetic instate rival is having BY FAR the most success it has ever had or will ever have. Ever since Danny Ford left, Clemson has had a bunch of Chan Gaileys. Now they are an elite program and a yearly playoff contender. What changed? The coach.

Clemson is not a top 5 team this season, for the aforementioned reasons. Their OL has been soft for years, as OL recruiting has not been up to par with the rest of their recruiting until this past season. Watson may be a beast, but unless something major changes, they will not have a power run game to take pressure off of him, and will continue to struggle in short yardage situations. I think there's a good chance we split with them this season, with our win coming in the ACCCG.

I think there's a good chance we split with them this season, with our win coming in the ACCCG.

This is what I am thinking too. It's hard to win up there, and I would much rather take them in the ACCCG anyway. Watson is a talent but they have to keep him upright and healthy all season if they are going to have any hope of success.

Back