Coach Collins on College Football Now with Roddy Jones

Geoff Collins will recruit like no other coach at GT has ever done before. I'm sure we will struggle to keep some eligible--- but Stansbury will help.
Make no mistake, Collins players will require much larger uniforms.
The time our lines of scrimmage get pushed around like an FCS team, by the likes of Duke, South Florida, Minnesota and Pittsburgh is coming to an end.
Kirby Smart and Dabo Swinney have had free run to recruit the state of Georgia. That too is about to end! Clemson and Georgia WILL LOSE OFFERS to Collins and GT!

Yes, Stanford and Tech have similar types of student athletes. The issue is would you rather have a Stanford degree or GT? I am fiercely proud of my GT degree but Stanford is definitely a stronger academic brand name and why I conjectured we would not win many head to head battles with Stanford for academically-inclined players.
I think this is an illusion. 'Academically-inclined players' of the 4 and 5 star variety like Andrew Luck, Christian McCaffrey and Bryce Love want the best back up plan in terms of degree. But make no mistake. Their eyes are on the NFL, and mostly they want to play on the best team with the best coaches and players. Before Jim Harbaugh came along, Stanford did not recruit any better than us and was worse on the field on average, enduring a streak of losing seasons we hadn't since the 80s.

If we build it, they will come. CGC is working on the culture change. Then must come the onfield success to raise the profile of the program in the eyes of recruits.

Certainly, Notre Dame has the better brand and will always be hard to recruit against. But we can get to where Stanford is without service academy gimmicks.

I think this is an illusion. 'Academically-inclined players' of the 4 and 5 star variety like Andrew Luck, Christian McCaffrey and Bryce Love want the best back up plan in terms of degree. But make no mistake. Their eyes are on the NFL, and mostly they want to play on the best team with the best coaches and players. Before Jim Harbaugh came along, Stanford did not recruit any better than us and was worse on the field on average, enduring a streak of losing seasons we hadn't since the 80s.

If we build it, they will come. CGC is working on the culture change. Then must come the onfield success to raise the profile of the program in the eyes of recruits.

Certainly, Notre Dame has the better brand and will always be hard to recruit against. But we can get to where Stanford is without service academy gimmicks.
Damn good point. Sold me!

I've read many articles on how ND, in particular, doesn't have any place to hide their athletes similar to GT. Stanford, from what I read, also has a much higher floor for athletes than the average P5 conference.
Quick sample, first 5 I looked at:

Dexter Williams - africana studies
Troy Pride Jr - film, television, and theater
Ian Book - marketing
Jamir Jones - psychology
Liam Eichenberg - american studies

https://und.com/roster.aspx?roster=60&path=football

Quick sample, first 5 I looked at:

Dexter Williams - africana studies
Troy Pride Jr - film, television, and theater
Ian Book - marketing
Jamir Jones - psychology
Liam Eichenberg - american studies

https://und.com/roster.aspx?roster=60&path=football
<insert topic> Studies is always a bullsh*t major. I dont know much about film, television and theater but I do know fine arts usually requires some sort of talent to get in? Psychology and Marketing are real majors.

Edit swear word

I've read many articles on how ND, in particular, doesn't have any place to hide their athletes similar to GT. Stanford, from what I read, also has a much higher floor for athletes than the average P5 conference.
Notre Dame doesn't have very good athletes compared to Top 5 programs.

<insert topic> Studies is always a bullsh*t major. I dont know much about film, television and theater but I do know fine arts usually requires some sort of talent to get in? Psychology and Marketing are real majors.

Edit swear word

One thing I wonder on those majors is while they Can be real majors, do they always Have to be?

One thing I wonder on those majors is while they Can be real majors, do they always Have to be?
They are usually good majors at any respectable school but certainly less rigorous than engineering. Psychology probably has two paths, one for clinical path and one for non-clinical. The clinical path will be extremely demanding.

Yes, Stanford and Tech have similar types of student athletes. The issue is would you rather have a Stanford degree or GT? I am fiercely proud of my GT degree but Stanford is definitely a stronger academic brand name and why I conjectured we would not win many head to head battles with Stanford for academically-inclined players.
I'd rather have degree in Civil Engineering from GT than one in Science, technology and society from Stanford. But I get what you're saying. Maybe if we pushed to expand our majors to more than just STEM we might be able to academically compete more with Stanford. We seem to do pretty well at everything we touch academically. We need a PR campaign for this type of expanded curriculum and for the BOR to publicly admit they will not allow it. Call them out for the hypocrites they are. This isn't just about football, but improving the state of Georgia as a whole. Look at the politicians, attorneys, media, teachers, etc. in this state. The majority are all mouth breathers from uga.

I’m not saying we can’t recruit better. The Calvin’s, the Dwyers, the Hamilton’s, etc are proof of that. But I had a conversation with the head of the Hill back during Gailey’s tenure. And to say it was enlightening, is an understatement. Hopefully, for Collins sake, it has changed.

I'd rather have degree in Civil Engineering from GT than one in Science, technology and society from Stanford. But I get what you're saying. Maybe if we pushed to expand our majors to more than just STEM we might be able to academically compete more with Stanford. We seem to do pretty well at everything we touch academically. We need a PR campaign for this type of expanded curriculum and for the BOR to publicly admit they will not allow it. Call them out for the hypocrites they are. This isn't just about football, but improving the state of Georgia as a whole. Look at the politicians, attorneys, media, teachers, etc. in this state. The majority are all mouth breathers from uga.

According to the ROI lists, GT ranks equal to or better than Stanford.

They are usually good majors at any respectable school but certainly less rigorous than engineering. Psychology probably has two paths, one for clinical path and one for non-clinical. The clinical path will be extremely demanding.
Depends on your strengths and what you mean by rigor. Any performance major would be up there with engineering or anything you could name in terms of time spent outside of the classroom and pressure on a daily basis for example.

Last edited:
According to the ROI lists, GT ranks equal to or better than Stanford.

That is in part because Stanford is significantly more expensive. Last time I looked the salaries for a BME from Stanford were higher than the salaries for a BME at GT.

Depends on your strengths and what you mean by rigor. Any performance major would be up there with engineering or anything you could name in terms of time spent outside of the classroom and pressure on a daily basis.

What is a "performance major"? I know I got a certificate/minor in psychology at GT and the rigor of those psychology courses were not of the rigor of my engineering major courses; but then you probably wouldn't expect them to be. I don't think that psychology would be as intense as engineering at the undergraduate level; which is why a psychology bachelors degree is not a very hot item.

What is a "performance major"? I know I got a certificate/minor in psychology at GT and the rigor of those psychology courses were not of the rigor of my engineering major courses; but then you probably wouldn't expect them to be. I don't think that psychology would be as intense as engineering at the undergraduate level; which is why a psychology bachelors degree is not a very hot item.
Something like music. Individual studio classes, multiple ensembles with practice and performance for each along with other classes. Had 2 daughters major in an instrument and they had very little time for anything but playing their instruments. Psych I would equate to something like history where there is a lot of reading, research and writing. Very different skill set from engineering but it can be demanding depending on the program.

Back