Coach Friedgen is Amazing

BLACK WATCH

Helluva Engineer
Friedgen has done real well at Maryland...I DO remember two years back when he met a Good team in the Orange bowl..He got BLEW out..Spurrier could have scored 80 points NO LIE that night...

Originally posted by oldgoldbee:
Just think if GOL had left one year
earlier for Notre Fame.

Where we would be now?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">OGB:

Ralph Friedgen is an excellent coach who has done a remarkable job at Maryland. I think he would have done well anywhere. Him getting a HC's job took way too long - I remember him saying it was because of the way he looked (dumb thing)! I remember the Thursday night ESPN crew comparing him to Joe Tiller who took the Purdue job and did wonders there - they look the same and can coach!

Noticed your Notre Fame comment. In 1978 there were bumper sticks made up before the game with them at BDS. I remember getting one from Kent Hill when I was in the AA one day - DUCK NOTRE FAME! Had it on my Camaro for years and always use to get folks tooting their horns at me with a THUMBS UP!

Even more amazing the man hasn't had a heart attack on the sidelines. I'm just glad he won't be on our sidelines when the inevitable happens. Stay out of the Fridge, Fridge!

JJacket, I agree, his health may be the only thing to stop his success at Maryland.

Father Time

Actually Patriot, this may be sacrilige, but MD is probably a great place for the Fridge. My daughter goes to MD and I can tell you it's a beautiful campus, in a large metro area, that offers virtually every major you can think of and the school is huge. They have something close to 30,000 undergrad. It's a good school and getting better (kind of like Ugag but they have about 5 programs rated in the top 25). If you can't recruit to a school like MD you have to be trying not to. In fact, one of the advantages that Fridge has IMO is that the talent level on hand when he arrived was way better than most gave them credit for. The previous coach just couldn't coach.

Quote by ET:
Had it on my Camaro for years and always use to get folks tooting their horns at me with a THUMBS UP!

Should have figured. Why admit to owning a Camaro?
wink.gif

If it was pre '68, my apologies. Otherwise, where is the best deal on puka shells and air brushed apparel in the same tent?

If Tech men are so smart, why did we not hire Ralph instead of BL? Or for that matter, Spurrier instead of Curry, or Dickey instead of Carson? Why?

Originally posted by texstinger:
If Tech men are so smart, why did we not hire Ralph instead of BL? Or for that matter, Spurrier instead of Curry, or Dickey instead of Carson? Why?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Because hindsight is 20/20? Bill Lewis, I believe, was college football coach of the year in some publications before coming to Tech. Who knew? Why didn't we hire Erk Russell? THAT would have been the stroke of genius and a dig at Dooley (and hence UGetanescAlade) for letting his ego not hire his obvious heir apparent. Every recruit in the state and many more from around the south would have wanted to come here.

Originally posted by texstinger:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">ahhh, texstinger, ahem...

We did hire Spurrier as QB coach, dinn't work out though he left for greener pastures (Duke?)..

Bud Carsen went on to become the brains behind the Pittsburg defense and the HC of the old Cleveland Browns....

Originally posted by JJacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by texstinger:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Because hindsight is 20/20? Bill Lewis, I believe, was college football coach of the year in some publications before coming to Tech. Who knew? Why didn't we hire Erk Russell? THAT would have been the stroke of genius and a dig at Dooley (and hence UGetanescAlade) for letting his ego not hire his obvious heir apparent. Every recruit in the state and many more from around the south would have wanted to come here.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Just for the record, I had this wierd feeling at the time when we hired Lewis.

I was a dumb and ignorant student at the time, but so was everyone (well maybe not a student) in the absence of the internet. I do remember thinking exactly what was the reason we hired him? He only had one good season.

I think Lewis was one of the first mid-level programs to go undefeated or something and get a lot of press. His name became hot, and we hired him. I do blame Homer for it. He bought into the frenzy.

Actually Homer became enamored with Lewis while he was DC at Ga and decided that he would hire him someday. I had the chance to see more of him at ECU and had a bad feeling about him from the start.

Fridge wasn't the slam dunk choice in '92 that he was 2 years ago. Remember that was before his stint in the NFL and his selections as assistant coach of the year.

Maryland averaged 4 wins/season between 1986 and 2000, and went through an 11 yr bowl drought. Coach Friedgen arrives and immediately turns that program around with two 10 win seasons, one BCS Bowl and a victory over Tenn. in the Peach. Amazing!

No doubt he is a good coach. That cream puff schedule however has padded his record a little more than he is worth.

I know one cream puff team he destoyed last year!

South Georgia Jacket

Just think if GOL had left one year
earlier for Notre Fame.

Where we would be now?

Originally posted by LLCoolJacket:
Quote by ET:
Had it on my Camaro for years and always use to get folks tooting their horns at me with a THUMBS UP!

Should have figured. Why admit to owning a Camaro?
wink.gif

If it was pre '68, my apologies. Otherwise, where is the best deal on puka shells and air brushed apparel in the same tent?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">1967!

Originally posted by ncjacket:
Actually Homer became enamored with Lewis while he was DC at Ga and decided that he would hire him someday. I had the chance to see more of him at ECU and had a bad feeling about him from the start.

Fridge wasn't the slam dunk choice in '92 that he was 2 years ago. Remember that was before his stint in the NFL and his selections as assistant coach of the year.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I never wanted GT to look outside. I wanted them to go with O'Leary or Friedgen - they both wanted it! I was very disappointed back then. I felt comfortable that they would continue what Ross had started, knew the environment, the players and continue the process.

I was extremely disappointed when they hired Bill Lewis. I considered him the one year wonder at ECU. Unfortunately, he didn't even have that 'one year wonder' here!

Back