Coach G "Bennett never showed consistently in practice"

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
"that he could be that kind of player", Matt Hayes quotes HC Gailey from the ACC Media days when discussing any 2nd thoughts about not playing Bennett more last season. Also, in this real good item for The Sporting News, Hayes writes Gailey said "We just didn't see it." I reckon COACH was as surprised as I was with what happened at the Gator Bowl:laugher:.
Phillip Wheeler has some excellent quotes inre to DC Tenuta.
Notice at the bottom of the page who Matt Hayes picks as the ACC Coach of the Year & Defensive Player of the Year:biggthumpup:.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=244700

I've posted this about 2 dozen times now, but Bennett's second half performance in the Gator was nothing special. He still has a lot to prove, and there are a lot of question marks.

Nix did a poor job of figuring out WVU's halftime coverage changes. Bennett is a hard worker like Godsey was. So, there is reason for hope, but Bennett still has to prove that he is a quality QB.

"that he could be that kind of player", Matt Hayes quotes HC Gailey from the ACC Media days when discussing any 2nd thoughts about not playing Bennett more last season. Also, in this real good item for The Sporting News, Hayes writes Gailey said "We just didn't see it." I reckon COACH was as surprised as I was with what happened at the Gator Bowl:laugher:.
Phillip Wheeler has some excellent quotes inre to DC Tenuta.
Notice at the bottom of the page who Matt Hayes picks as the ACC Coach of the Year & Defensive Player of the Year:biggthumpup:.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=244700

If you watched every snap he took last year, he was always looking off, throwing to the TE, leading receivers. Maybe he looked poor in pratice but in games he was obviously the best QB on the field. FWIW, his second half performance was his worst performance and yet Gailey seemed impressed.

Watch every snap in the Duke game if you have it on tape. RB was horrible and TB was borderline perfect. Ask Greg Smith who the better QB was.

This is not a shot at RB; i think Gailey dropped the ball big-time with his lack of use of TB last year and I was not surprised one iota in the GB. If TB had played against UNC we likely would have won by 28 points or more which would then have given him reason to play vs. Ugag. I expected TB to lead us to victory in the 2nd half and was disappointed he did not.

You have to realize that TB isn't going to throw for 300 yards and 4 TD's every game. Yes he played great in the Gator but let's see how he does taking every snap for the entire season. He still has alot to prove. He'll have his good games and his bad just like RB. The idea is to minimize those bad performances and it's obvious RB had more than we were hoping for.

Watch every snap in the Duke game if you have it on tape. RB was horrible and TB was borderline perfect. Ask Greg Smith who the better QB was.

I see your point, but borderline perfect?

Reggie
7/13 122 yds 3 TD 1 INT

Taylor
6/12 126 yds 2 TD 1 INT

I see your point, but borderline perfect?

Reggie
7/13 122 yds 3 TD 1 INT

Taylor
6/12 126 yds 2 TD 1 INT

My comments had nothing to do with statistics. Watch the tape; i assuem you weren't at the game. When a QB throws a pass that hits the DB in the hands and the best wR in the country takes it away, I credit the WR not the QB for the TD.

Benett's INT was perhaps a great throw, the route seemed to be cut for no reason by an inexperienced WR. TB did not get to throw to the same WR that RB did. RB's INT was a perfect throw right between the numbers to the Duke defender with no GT WR in sight.

RB was horrible, TB was great. I'm still leery if we would ahve beaten Troy if the ref didn't call the Cox "catch" a catch which rivaled the worst throw ever made in the game of football.

My comments had nothing to do with statistics. Watch the tape; i assuem you weren't at the game. When a QB throws a pass that hits the DB in the hands and the best wR in the country takes it away, I credit the WR not the QB for the TD.

Benett's INT was perhaps a great throw, the route seemed to be cut for no reason by an inexperienced WR. TB did not get to throw to the same WR that RB did. RB's INT was a perfect throw right between the numbers to the Duke defender with no GT WR in sight.

RB was horrible, TB was great. I'm still leery if we would ahve beaten Troy if the ref didn't call the Cox "catch" a catch which rivaled the worst throw ever made in the game of football.

I haven't seen the game tape but I was there.
I see what your saying thwg, and I do agree that Taylor was the better QB that day. But I just think we should give the coaches the benefit of the doubt because they watch these guys every day and know who gives us the best chance to win.

When a QB throws a pass that hits the DB in the hands and the best wR in the country takes it away, I credit the WR not the QB for the TD.

Sounds exactly like Bennett's throw into triple coverage that set up the only TD that GT scored in the second half of the Gator.

Our QBs have not been well coached. I hope that Bond will change that.

I watched RB and TB warm up together, and invariably I saw that at warm up speed Reggie threw the ball better. At game speed Reggie struggled to lead a receiver well. He underthrew long balls, threw jump balls to the sideline, etc. In the Duke game and first half of the Gator, Taylor seemed to be less distracted by the game speed and pass rush and we saw receivers not having to break stride to catch the ball. I just hope that continues in '07.

Actually, I do, and your posts are nearly exclusively one of three things:

1. Bashing Nix.
2. Defending Reggie.
3. Devaluing Bennett's performance in Jax.

What sort of insecurity requires you to personally attack other posters? While your observations are incorrect, if you don't like the subject of my posts, don't read them. If you disagree with a post, offer a cogent retort, rather than a personal attack on the poster.

My posts are in keeping with the rules of this board. I don't believe that you have been appointed as board censor.

How exactly is pointing out that you post the same thing over and over and over again attacking you?

You have to realize that TB isn't going to throw for 300 yards and 4 TD's every game. Yes he played great in the Gator but let's see how he does taking every snap for the entire season. He still has alot to prove. He'll have his good games and his bad just like RB. The idea is to minimize those bad performances and it's obvious RB had more than we were hoping for.

While it's true WVU didn't have the best pass defense, our offense still gained more yards and got more points than any other team WVU played, except for Louisville. And if not for that bounce on the third quarter kickoff, we would probably have won that game.

Pass Efficiency Ratings versus West Virginia last year:

1.JPG

Pass Efficiency ratings vs. UGAy and Wake Forest last year:

2.JPG

3.JPG

Somehow we went from the 2nd worst passing offense teams had seen all season to the 2nd best. If Bennett was not responsible, how do you explain it?

Back