Coach G "Bennett never showed consistently in practice"

Those are great, mm42. You mind doing a few more, just generally, vs teams we did well against and teams we did poorly against, to give us a frame of reference? You obviously picked the 2 worst and 1 best games, I'm curious how the rest of our games pan out.

If you could break up the first and second halves of the Duke game that'd be especially cool.

Last edited:
Those are great, mm42. You mind doing a few more, just generally, vs teams we did well against and teams we did poorly against, to give us a frame of reference? You obviously picked the 2 worst and 1 best games, I'm curious how the rest of our games pan out.

If you could break up the first and second halves of the Duke game that'd be especially cool.

I didn't intentionally pick the 2 worst and 1 best game, I just did the last 3. Clearly the last 2 were the worst, in fact 2 of the worst in history.

Somebody already broke out Duke by halves and the 2 QBs were pretty similar, so that doesn't tell us much beyond "Duke sucks".

Here are the ranks for the whole season (skipping Samford):

Notre Dame: #10 of 13
Troy: #9 of 13
UVa: #2 of 12
VPI: #1 of 13
Maryland: #9 of 13
Clemson: #9 of 13
Miami: #5 of 13
NC State: #7 of 12
UNC: #12 of 12
Duke: #1 of 12
UGAy: #12 of 13
Wake: #13 of 14
WVU: #1 of 13

The Troy game may actually be the worst one. The only teams we outperformed were Fla. International, North Texas, La-Monroe, and Alabama St.

Notre Dame: #10 of 13
Troy: #9 of 13
UVa: #2 of 12
VPI: #1 of 13
Maryland: #9 of 13
Clemson: #9 of 13
Miami: #5 of 13
NC State: #7 of 12
UNC: #12 of 12
Duke: #1 of 12
UGAy: #12 of 13
Wake: #13 of 14
WVU: #1 of 13

Wow. Talk about inconsistent.

We were either the best or nearly the worst vs everybody we faced. vs 7 teams we were 9th or worse, vs 4 teams were were 2nd or 1st, and only had 2 games that would be considered 'average.'

Not only that, we were wretched against both good and bad teams, and were excellent vs both good and bad teams. There's no trend.

This is one of the most telling statistics I think I've seen so far.

Not only that, we were wretched against both good and bad teams, and were excellent vs both good and bad teams. There's no trend.

Hard to tell without knowing the standard deviation. What was the difference in the 9th worst and 6th worst offensive performances against Maryland?

I think the trend is that our offense started to feel the pressure of having a big season. We needed UNC to clinch the division. Georgia was a big game that almost everyone but Vegas thought we should finally win. Wake was the Championship game.

Against Duke and WV, the offense didn't really have anything to lose. If we lost to Duke, we were still going to Jax. If we tanked against WV, it was because of an inexperienced QB.

Hard to tell without knowing the standard deviation. What was the difference in the 9th worst and 6th worst offensive performances against Maryland?

md.JPG

I haven't seen the game tape but I was there.
I see what your saying thwg, and I do agree that Taylor was the better QB that day. But I just think we should give the coaches the benefit of the doubt because they watch these guys every day and know who gives us the best chance to win.

I feel I gave our coaches the benefit of MANY doubts over the past few seasons. They are not just getting second-guessed by disgruntled fans; the decisions have been called into question by many commentators who have quite a bit of expertise themselves. It was hard to see an analysis of Calvin during the draft without hearing a mention of how his skills were underused at GT. It was the punchline of jokes on the Fox Sports show as well

The coaches watch the players in practice. But, if those coaches are experienced, they should know that some players perform better in games than in practice, and vice versa. When you have a player performing poorly, you owe it to the understudy to give them a shot. At any other position on the field, the backup would be in quickly when it became evident they weren't performing well. Then you could evaluate if they were an improvement.

I am usually the guy who is critical of the armchair coaches and QBs, but this thing went on for FOUR SEASONS. ALL the free passes were used up. I would respect Gailey more if he would simply admit that he should have given Bennett a shot much earlier. The fact that he continued to rationalize his decisions in the face of evidence he was wrong (at least on this one issue) is a clear sign of stubborness. You can see it in the interview at the Gator Bowl and read it in print interviews after the fact.

I hope he has learned his lesson and we will see th improvement this year. But he has officially used up every "free pass" or "benefit of the doubt" for every possible excuse over his tenure. It is time to produce without excuse.

Did we get new coaches in the Gator Bowl that hadn't coached in previous games?

No, we played a WVU team that had no film on Bennett. GT was shut out for the last 28 1/2 minutes of the game after WVU made its halftime adjustments.

No, we played a WVU team that had no film on Bennett. GT was shut out for the last 28 1/2 minutes of the game after WVU made its halftime adjustments.

Most of those drives were killed by offensive penalties (of which we had zero in the first half). WVU must be really smart if they can make adjustments that cause penalties.

Most of those drives were killed by offensive penalties (of which we had zero in the first half). WVU must be really smart if they can make adjustments that cause penalties.

Stop it MM42, don't you know facts aren't allowed lol

I've posted this about 2 dozen times now, but Bennett's second half performance in the Gator was nothing special. He still has a lot to prove, and there are a lot of question marks.

Nix did a poor job of figuring out WVU's halftime coverage changes. Bennett is a hard worker like Godsey was. So, there is reason for hope, but Bennett still has to prove that he is a quality QB.

Well, since Godsey we've been thhrough a stable of "quality quarterbacks" who didn't amount to much.

Did we get new coaches in the Gator Bowl that hadn't coached in previous games?

LOL!!! No kidding. Coaching is what lost us BOTH the Wake game AND the UGA game last year. Not to mention why we lost a perfect opportunity for a Conference Title and BCS Bowl berth. But lets not let that get in the way of a good RAH RAH!

Well, since Godsey we've been thhrough a stable of "quality quarterbacks" who didn't amount to much.

And my point is the same as yours--all of them have been coached by the same staff--including Bennett in the second half of the Gator.

Stop it MM42, don't you know facts aren't allowed lol

Want facts? Go look at Bennett's passing stats in the second half of the Gator. They were pretty average against a mediocre WVU defense. Those stats had nothing to do with penalties.

Not blaming Bennett--WVU made coverage changes and Nix had no answer. Just like UGa shut down the passing game and was giving up the run, but Nix kept calling passing plays to the point that Choice was visably upset. Also like Nix calling long passes against WF that Reggie was not hitting and WF was playing safeties to shut down...to the point that Tenuta got in a fight with Nix after the game.

Want facts? Go look at Bennett's passing stats in the second half of the Gator. They were pretty average against a mediocre WVU defense. Those stats had nothing to do with penalties.

Not blaming Bennett--WVU made coverage changes and Nix had no answer. Just like UGa shut down the passing game and was giving up the run, but Nix kept calling passing plays to the point that Choice was visably upset. Also like Nix calling long passes against WF that Reggie was not hitting and WF was playing safeties to shut down...to the point that Tenuta got in a fight with Nix after the game.

that was the theme of every game offensively last year. strong first half, defense adjusts and shut us down in the 2nd half. Nix's lack of experience made him weak at adjusting. Hopefully CJB can excel in this area.

LOL!!! No kidding. Coaching is what lost us BOTH the Wake game AND the UGA game last year.

Dude, watch the UGA game again. We lost because Reggie choked for 60 minutes strait. Every play where Reggie was supposed to do anything, he choked at it. The only coaching mistake vs UGA was not pulling Reggie.

Back