Coach G shoulda took the penalty. Will he learn

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
this college game???? Instead of pushing BYU nearly outta GT territory & bringing up a 3rd & 13 from the GT 48, Chan refuses the penalty & lets the Cougars have a 4th & 3 from Tech's 38. Crowton catches James Butler, Jon Tenuta & Chan Gailey asleep at the switch, goes for it on 4th & throws over the top for a runaway TD. This puts BYU's 1st pts on the board for a 7-3 lead.

You see, in the pros, when it's 4th dn in the opponents territory, but too long to try a FG, the pros 'pooch' punt hoping to get the opponent in side the 10. They do it every single time rather than taking the chance of letting the opponent start on the 38-40 yd line. (The pro's stat's shows that FAR more pts are scored by the opponents when the opponents start at the 40 rather than inside the 20).
But the college game is quite often different. Many college coaches don't give a hoot about the 'pooch' punt & quite often will go on 4th dn in the opponents territory if they feel the FG try is too long.
This faux pas by Coach G is strikingly similar to calling the TO vs Clemson, hoping to get a KO return, but instead letting Bowden decide to go for the TD on the last play & getting it, screwing Chan 2 ways.
If Gailey is too hard headed to learn these college risk-taking gambits, he will continue to get out-foxed all yr long.

GT ACE isn't that a strech to pick on that call and expect a team to go on forth and 3 at that position on the field. Looks like you are trying to find fault because hardly any coaches will do that.

Nope. Sure seemed like a no-brainer to me to take the 10 yd penalty. Rarely will a college coach turn down 10 yds, especially in his own territory. Next play PLOP touchdown.
I knew Gailey was outcoached right there. Perhaps u feel Gailey was as 'on top of his game' as Crowton was, but I don't. BYU is a rambling, gambling team under Crowton, always has been, always will be.
Did anybody not figure that Crowton would go 4th & 3 from the GT 38??? Why NOT push them back 10?
Personally, I hope Gailey improves, starts winning & stays at GT for 11 more yrs. I hope he learns his game, which is college football, & picks up more on what his opposition HC might do rather than what he would do himself. It may help him. I dunno, I just dunno.

No, Gailey will never learn the college game.

Now go to bed and suck your thumb.

Don't understand the problem...if it's 4th and 3 or 3rd and 50 when your safety gets toasted it really doesn't matter

Originally posted by bellyseries:
No, Gailey will never learn the college game.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">belly,
You and I don't always agree; but, as much as it pains me to say, it certainly appears that you have never spoken truer words!!!

Now, now fellas. Gailey is learning. Think of the Clemson game last year and look at how far we've come in a year.

Originally posted by Father WASP:
Now, now fellas. Gailey is learning. Think of the Clemson game last year and look at how far we've come in a year.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">
laugh.gif

Father Wasp, I don't know you personally
but I would really like to meet you!

That was a classic post/remark!!

I almost peed in my pants from laughter
after reading it!!!!!!!

Man, what a comeback!!!!!!!!!!!

"Ain't Life Grand"

NC Jacket in case you don't know
it's called tongue-in-cheeck humor
down here in God's Country!!!!

I've said this before, and I'll say this again. Gailey's TO against Clemson was THE RIIGHT THING TO DO. ANYDAY I'll take a team with 4th and 3+ and an oppurtunity to go for it, and call a TO. I would rather them go for it than take the almost auto-matic 3 points. ANYDAY!

But you fools who think because clemson scored, that made it the wrong call. If only you understood. Take the TO, let Bowden consider going for it, and, most times, you stop them with 0 points. This time, it just so happened, they scored. I feel embarassed explaining this.

BEERNUTTS

Let's See. The Sky is Falling. The Sky is Falling. Man you guys would jump on Coach if he drink powerade instead of gatorade. Get real GT. FIVE TIMES COUNT EM FIVE TIMES BYWHO HAD 3rd and LONG AND GUESS WHAT.
YEAH THAT"S RIGHT THEY CONVERTED. So why in the world do you not give your defense a chance to get off the field. you wanna talk about the call and maybe the lack of prep of their te
rant.gif

fine we'll discuss that but some of you guys have nothing better to do than get your panties in a wad over every lil thing w/ this program. Yeah i was ticked w/ the game and mad about the ultra conservative play calling. But Man i'll be at bds loud and proud on Sat tailgating w/ all the crew. WILL YOU? Man sometimes i actually believe ahso about your agenda towards the man.
Why do you guys hate him so?
As the stews say. And I'm GONE!
Go Jackets Sting Em

Beer, I'm not following your logic. Clemson is hurrying their FG unit on the field cause they have only a few seconds left in the half. No timeouts left. You're gonna call timeout, let them think about it and prepare for a shot for six? That is exactly what happened. Why is it you see teams almost celebrating when holding someone to three? FG's aren't automatic either, so we had at least some decent odds of them getting nothing, three at the most. Take those extra four off the board and we have a shot. This is not nit picking a tough call, this was basic strategy and coaches need to simply know what to do.

Great post, ACE.. If I was you I would consider a security system for my house, tho... We are into the season & all the gailey whores are getting angry.. They HATE having to explain all his screw ups !! This goofball Beernuts is the one of the worst ones.. don't be surprised if he shows up on your doorstep... Keep the porch light on...

Originally posted by BeerNutts:
I've said this before, and I'll say this again. Gailey's TO against Clemson was THE RIIGHT THING TO DO. ANYDAY I'll take a team with 4th and 3+ and an oppurtunity to go for it, and call a TO. I would rather them go for it than take the almost auto-matic 3 points. ANYDAY!

But you fools who think because clemson scored, that made it the wrong call. If only you understood. Take the TO, let Bowden consider going for it, and, most times, you stop them with 0 points. This time, it just so happened, they scored. I feel embarassed explaining this.

BEERNUTTS
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You should be embarassed.. All your relatives are...

Originally posted by BeerNutts:

BEERNUTTS
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I don't agree, BeerNutts, but so what? You make a decent argument, you're pulling for GT, and you're not glorying in your belly button. I like that.

You were attacked by someone who does not know how to be a fan of his own team, and who apparently thinks GT football should be played only for his pleasure. Ignore him and enjoy the White and Gold.

Originally posted by bellyseries:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by BeerNutts:

BEERNUTTS
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I don't agree, BeerNutts, but so what? You make a decent argument, you're pulling for GT, and you're not glorying in your belly button. I like that.

You were attacked by someone who does not know how to be a fan of his own team, and who apparently thinks GT football should be played only for his pleasure. Ignore him and enjoy the White and Gold.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Correction, belly... your boy, Beernuts called the posters who disagreed with him fools.. No more free lunch for you & your gailey apologists...

Originally posted by BeeBad:
Correction, belly... your boy, Beernuts called the posters who disagreed with him fools.. No more free lunch for you & your gailey apologists...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You see, BeerNutts, this is exactly what I mean. PeePad thinks that attacking him is the same as attacking Georgia Tech Football. To him, his own navel is the size of BDS. He can't stand it that he's just a poster like you and me, and he can't stand it that we are actual fans with our own opinions, instead of agreeing with his "expertise." Of course he isn't the only one whom this shoe fits.

And his "free lunch" remark implies that he has some sort of power he can exercise. It's just more lint from his navel, but he thinks he's powerful. As Beeware says, it's sad.

I will give him one thing: he recognized that he was the one being referred to in my previous post. He knows he's a doodlehead. On the other hand, maybe he thinks ALL posts are about him.

Back