Coach George O’Leary

FatJacket

Helluva Engineer
Anyone hear if CGO was planning in attending? And which sideline he will prowl?

He is getting inducted into the GT HOF
I remember calling the GTAA back when Homer Rice fired that dumbass right after the 1994 @MD game (that I attended) asking what was going on and was told they hired O'Leary - I was pretty disappointed and felt like we just took the simple way out.

Probably the wrongest I've been about GT ever.

He could have stayed and considered GT a destination job like Collins does
Perhaps it is not widely known that when Homer Rice hired O'Leary in 1994, O'Leary's agent added a "Notre Dame" clause which stipulated that if ND ever came calling that any contract termination penalties were waived thereby allowing CGO to accept a ND offer without financial penalty.

I actually felt bad for O'Leary when resume-gate exploded. Even made the monologue for Jay Leno on the tonight show. O'Leary made a stupid exaggeration on his resume that he likely forgot about and ND caught it. He deserved a better fate but its a lesson to the rest of us. You can fluff up your resume but there is a limit.

Also on the radio show, CGC said that CGO called him after the game to tell him how proud he was of Collins.
That. Means. Everything.

Collins is a pupil of O'Leary and like all the other pupils of O'Leary, they are wildly successful. I'll leave this to others but do a check on all the O'Leary assistants (fyi - Collins was an O'Leary assistant at Central Florida - wink, wink) and see how they fared. Start with Bill O'Brian.

Why we didn't welcome him back, hire Mac McWhorter, or try to lure Ralph Friedgen away from Maryland is beyond me. I could've done without the 7 years of mediocrity from "Slug" Gailey.
Wouldn’t have been the same. See: Bobby Cremins.

Why we didn't welcome him back, hire Mac McWhorter, or try to lure Ralph Friedgen away from Maryland is beyond me. I could've done without the 7 years of mediocrity from "Slug" Gailey.
I'm guessing you are not understanding the relationship between Friedgen and Debbie Yow (the AD at MD that hired him). Maryland was Friedgen's home - its where he belonged. Debbie Yow (former AD at Hawai'i) told Ralph the football program was his to run. And for about 5 years, it was. Then, in 2010, MD fired Debbie Yow and there went Ralph's protection. Ralph was an incredible coach but he didn't do well with alumni or the media which cost him his job.

That. Means. Everything.

Collins is a pupil of O'Leary and like all the other pupils of O'Leary, they are wildly successful. I'll leave this to others but do a check on all the O'Leary assistants (fyi - Collins was an O'Leary assistant at Central Florida - wink, wink) and see how they fared. Start with Bill O'Brian.

agreed

Not really. CGO was a stickler for details and he missed one. I hated it for him but he set a trap for himself.
But ND did him wrong. They should have done the background check before making the announcement. If they found the fake MS and the letterman comments, they could have either quietly told him to fix his resume or they could have quietly told him to stay at Tech. They didn't need to make the announcement then fire him a week later.

You can fluff up your resume but there is a limit.
That limit is provable, objectives facts. You have a master's degree or you don't. You were a letterman or you weren't. Don't lie in general, but definitely don't lie about things that are easily provable.

Back