Coach George O’Leary

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
But ND did him wrong. They should have done the background check before making the announcement. If they found the fake MS and the letterman comments, they could have either quietly told him to fix his resume or they could have quietly told him to stay at Tech. They didn't need to make the announcement then fire him a week later.

That limit is provable, objectives facts. You have a master's degree or you don't. You were a letterman or you weren't. Don't lie in general, but definitely don't lie about things that are easily provable.
I don't blame ND for that. I blame O'Leary's agent. 100% his fault.

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
But ND did him wrong. They should have done the background check before making the announcement. If they found the fake MS and the letterman comments, they could have either quietly told him to fix his resume or they could have quietly told him to stay at Tech. They didn't need to make the announcement then fire him a week later.

That limit is provable, objectives facts. You have a master's degree or you don't. You were a letterman or you weren't. Don't lie in general, but definitely don't lie about things that are easily provable.
The Ty Willingham PC faction was driving the O'Leary ambush. They got exactly what they wanted. And it came back to bite them in the butt.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
I used to go to Breakfast with Bobby (Ross) at 6 am on the Fri before gameday (home games only).

Awesome.

SGaJacket

Varsity Lurker
I actually felt bad for O'Leary when resume-gate exploded. Even made the monologue for Jay Leno on the tonight show. O'Leary made a stupid exaggeration on his resume that he likely forgot about and ND caught it. He deserved a better fate but its a lesson to the rest of us. You can fluff up your resume but there is a limit.
I was walking into the student center, headed through to class, and was accosted by a reporter asking me what I thought about O’Leary lying on his resume. I was barely awake and had no idea wha they were talking about. Quite certain my “What the hell are you talking about,” didn’t make the paper.

18in32

Petard Hoister
Don't lie in general, but definitely don't lie about things that are easily provable.
At the least make sure that you can take a contemporaneous photo of the proof and your accuser’s handle which you can post to prove him wrong.

GOL shoulda just posted a pic of him with a masters degree in hand.

18in32

Petard Hoister
I'll go with Heisman then Dodd then Ross then O'Leary but to each his own.
Or how about the national championship winning GT coach who entered the college football hall of fame before any of them?

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Based on the last dwag that was hired as a head coach at GT I would say that was a damn good reason not to hire McWorther.
And he never got a head coaching job. There is probably a reason for that. Same with Tenuta. He never took the next step. Apparently, there are issues

joeye

Varsity Connoisseur
Dodd was a Vol. We need to be ready, post Collins, to consider someone who may not be one of us.
nah...Collins is at his Noter Dame. This is his dream job. There’s no other job he wants....if he builds us into a powerhouse to where teams like Michigan/USC come calling, he’d still prefer to ride it out here and get his name on a building....

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
I hope that’s the case. Money talks. I guess we’ll cross that bridge when we get there.

GBurdell

One for each tiddy
Perhaps it is not widely known that when Homer Rice hired O'Leary in 1994, O'Leary's agent added a "Notre Dame" clause which stipulated that if ND ever came calling that any contract termination penalties were waived thereby allowing CGO to accept a ND offer without financial penalty.

I actually felt bad for O'Leary when resume-gate exploded. Even made the monologue for Jay Leno on the tonight show. O'Leary made a stupid exaggeration on his resume that he likely forgot about and ND caught it. He deserved a better fate but its a lesson to the rest of us. You can fluff up your resume but there is a limit.
it seems ND screwed the pooch as much as CGO. They should have done their due diligence prior to presenting an offer to him. doesn't excuse being fast and loose with your resume however.