Coffee is for Closers Paul!

We have a bunch of geek engineering types who are wall flowers and don't know how to put themselves out there who are defending these crap coaches from a crap job. People who don't understand sales shouldn't try to comment on it.

This was personified by the 'gator chomp' our student section did against FSU yesterday. And I've seen this before, standing in the student section as uga pounded us at home, again, I could hear students yelling 'HOW BOUT THEM GATORS.' What??? HOW EMBARRASSING. For öööös sake kids grow some öööö balls. Maybe the problem with Tech isn't the athletic recruiting, but the student body recruiting.

i would actually say it is harder to sell tech. i mean ole miss has WOMEN, parties, a great campus, and easy academics (like most of the sec). hell if i was a top college athlete, tech wouldnt even be a thought. unfortunately my playing days are over and i have to focus on an education. its a lot harder to sell tech these days than you think. these kids are looking to play in the league, not looking to work at microsoft or some business firm. and you think these kids are gonna want to go out to party in atlanta? or go find girls at spelman or state? that seems like a lot of work when you could be having the time of you life in a college town like oxford or even athens where the girls and parties are right at your feet.

Exactly why we need even better recruiters it would appear.

1. We have 14, potentially as many as 16.

2. We only had about 16-17 scholarships available. Are you advocating that we should have signed 25 this year? And if so, please list the 8+ players on our current roster we should have pulled scholarships from in February.

How about recruiting well enough to sign as many as we have ships for? Too much to ask?

We will find out about CPJ's recruiting ability on the field THIS year.

Did anyone really not see this class coming? I guess winning a bowl game got everyone's hopes up but this year was pretty much sucked. We didn't beat va tech in a down year. The only good win we had was UNC. We got killed by uga and we lost to mtsu. And we dropped our defensive coordinator. How many teams have had good recruiting classes after a year like that? (im actually serious. I would like to know)
its prob good we only had 15-16 spots with a year like that. I hope we can capitalize on 2013 and help what will be a 20+ recruiting class next year.

Did anyone really not see this class coming? I guess winning a bowl game got everyone's hopes up but this year was pretty much sucked. We didn't beat va tech in a down year. The only good win we had was UNC. We got killed by uga and we lost to mtsu. And we dropped our defensive coordinator. How many teams have had good recruiting classes after a year like that? (im actually serious. I would like to know)
its prob good we only had 15-16 spots with a year like that. I hope we can capitalize on 2013 and help what will be a 20+ recruiting class next year.

Re: # of ships - very good point I had not thought of.

Just seems to me, for 2013, CPJ best lay waste to some good teams on the field, and 2014 class (if he is still here) better be top 20.

He has been given more than enough time to come to grips.

Wow the sky is falling. Of course it is the resident complainer BOR. Facts do speak for themselves. CPJ avg star wise has out recruited the super talent evaluator Gailey. I hope all you remember sitting in Jacksonville losing to Wake Forest in that offensive shoot out in the rain. I do I was there.
CGOL did have classes in the top 25 if you research it. He was allowed 7 or 8 non qualifiers per class.
The facts are CPJ is graduating his players. That carries swag with the hill. Over time if we don't panic he will be able to get more exceptions and we will get better players.
We only had 16 to give gave out 14 and will probably sign one if not two more players. If we get Corn Elder this class will be öööö solid.

Wow the sky is falling. Of course it is the resident complainer BOR. Facts do speak for themselves. CPJ avg star wise has out recruited the super talent evaluator Gailey. I hope all you remember sitting in Jacksonville losing to Wake Forest in that offensive shoot out in the rain. I do I was there.
CGOL did have classes in the top 25 if you research it. He was allowed 7 or 8 non qualifiers per class.
The facts are CPJ is graduating his players. That carries swag with the hill. Over time if we don't panic he will be able to get more exceptions and we will get better players.
We only had 16 to give gave out 14 and will probably sign one if not two more players. If we get Corn Elder this class will be öööö solid.

+1. I'm so tired of the bigcry fest.

This was personified by the 'gator chomp' our student section did against FSU yesterday. And I've seen this before, standing in the student section as uga pounded us at home, again, I could hear students yelling 'HOW BOUT THEM GATORS.' What??? HOW EMBARRASSING. For öööös sake kids grow some öööö balls. Maybe the problem with Tech isn't the athletic recruiting, but the student body recruiting.

Most ridiculous, absurd crap I've ever seen. Extremely embarrassing.

There is a problem with recruiting whether you want to think it or not....and PJ only has one year to figure it out....Roof is in the waiting...

Of course, BOR is right, we could and should do better. However, we are gonna be limited in our ability in the current market.

First, we aren't in the SEC. So we aren't gonna get kids that wanna play in the SEC.

Second, our academics are hard, so we aren't gonna get kids that can't meet the Hill's standards. This has been discussed millions of times, so not gonna do it again here.

CPJ has made several changes this year to address the shortcomings. I say he gets a pass, but we all certainly expect a huge class for 2014.

Recruiting is a very complex issue and not simply a product of 'winning'. Winning certainly helps, but it's more than that. I agree with those that say GT needs better recruiters. Part of the game is knowing how to put on a show when the recruits visit, and I don't get the feeling we do that well. Another big factor is momentum. Programs with similar records to us (like Ole Miss) can achieve recruiting success in part because they have momentum, something for recruits to feel excited about. I don't think GT has a lot of excitement around our program right now, and it's killing us in recruiting.

Recruiting is a very complex issue and not simply a product of 'winning'. Winning certainly helps, but it's more than that. I agree with those that say GT needs better recruiters. Part of the game is knowing how to put on a show when the recruits visit, and I don't get the feeling we do that well. Another big factor is momentum. Programs with similar records to us (like Ole Miss) can achieve recruiting success in part because they have momentum, something for recruits to feel excited about. I don't think GT has a lot of excitement around our program right now, and it's killing us in recruiting.

What's killing us in recruiting is things like Sewak not keeping up with prospective recruits like the kid in Sandersville. There seems to be a lot of lazy in our effort that when we get a verbal, we slow down or stop, not realizing that kids are clueless on committment.

Second, our academics are hard, so we aren't gonna get kids that can't meet the Hill's standards.

I've asked this question before but haven't received a decent response yet. Why should the football coach not be granted as many academic exceptions as he wants? Why should the hill have a say so in it if the kid meets NCAA requirements? It is, after all, a self-policing issue with the APR standards set in place by the NCAA.

If the coach asks for too many exceptions and a good % of those exceptions don't make the academic cut, the APR will reduce the # of scholarships the football team is allowed to use. This will inevitably result in the firing of the coach.

Some of the kids who get the exceptions might fail out...others might make it. But why the hell should someone on the academic side tell the football coach who he can recruit just because "we don't think this kid can cut it at GT".

I've been told by two different people I trust that GOL was told by a member of the admissions office that Daryl Smith wouldn't survive one quarter at GT. Yet Daryl ended up playing 4 years at Tech.

This. I so want Paul to succeed and think he Could do huge things. But if he doesn't fix his talent issues which are obvious, he's gonna be shown the door. I think we have run out of time. Paul couldn't afford having a year like this, and he did.

Agree with this totally. I like the earlier sales analogy too. Like sales, his profession is a what have you done for me lately kind of gig. We all know PJ can do big things with just a few 4 star recruits.

What's killing us in recruiting is things like Sewak not keeping up with prospective recruits like the kid in Sandersville. There seems to be a lot of lazy in our effort that when we get a verbal, we slow down or stop, not realizing that kids are clueless on committment.

I'm with you on Sewak...he's useless and should have been let go years ago. But the statement about slowing down or stopping on babysitting commitments simply isn't true.

McCollum told the story this morning about the safety that we just signed from Panacea, FL that he had made a trip to Panacea at least once a week for the last year to visit the kid...having watched him wrestle, meet with the parents/grandparents, etc.

So from the OP there are 5 kids who can impact the depth chart. I'm assuming Custis, Devine, Butker, Griffin, and Jeune (??) So that's more than 1/3 Do we have another class where we thought that percentage would pan out?

This class depends on Elder. If he signs we will have the best RB recruiting class under CPJ, if not we'll be just alright. Those 5 game changers are at positions of need. We have no B-back that deserves mentioning in the same sentence as AA and JD. OL has gotten better but not bigger. Case in point: 3 DL from UGA were 5 yards deep in our backfield lots of plays because 350 lbs > any OL we had, fixed that. WR is a question now we have lots of projects. QB is stacked, don't need one. DL and LBs are going to shuffle so we don't know what we need. DBs are solid. Where is this mythical position we needed to recruit better for? Of course we need Adrian Peterson at B-back, and Colin Kaepernick at QB, but it doesn't work that way here

We get screwed in recruiting rankings because school sucks and we have pretty much everyone redshirt so they can get through the freshman classes. We have 5 classes of players filling up the roster, not 4 like everyone else. 85/5 is 17 per class on average, not including early departures, which doesn't compete with ATM signing 34, twice as many. It is what it is and it's never as good or as bad as it seems...

Back