Coffee is for Closers Paul!

A one win season against power 5 may have had a bigger impact than you expected?

Umm...no?. The class looks about the same as pretty much every other one for the last 20 years. Doesn't appear that the coach or the on field results have much to do with it. Shocker.

There are three types of coaches in college football:

Those that can manage a game, but can't recruit (Paul Johnson)
Those that can recruit, but can't manage a game (Butch Jones)
And - the rarest ones - those that can do both (Nick Saban)

The reality of GT football is this: it is a tough place to recruit and it doesn't pay competitively enough to justify keeping the coaches that can manage games and recruit. We can go down a division and pick up someone like Tom Herman, and he will likely get us a few 4 stars, but he will leave us when a $5mil/yr job opens up. Then we have to spin the wheel again.

Our recruiting has virtually unchanged in 20 years. While I agree that CPJ needs to make up ground with the fans after last year's debacle, I don't anticipate us jumping into a top 10 class any time soon. So ask yourself this:

Do you want a guy that can recruit and manage a game? If yes, you will have 3 years of glory, a NY6 win, and the coach will be poached.

Or would you rather have a coach that can win, but can't recruit? That's what we've got today and it took us to the same NY6 and we got to keep the coach.

What "winning" do you speak of?

Great vs MSU. But 14-24 vs 5 biggies we usually play, or want to beat the most. 6-18 vs ugag/vt/um.

Just me, but I don't see beating Elon, acorn state , cuse, mtsu (dammit!), puke (sob), kansas (öööö), uwhine&cheese (öööö) as "winning".

What "winning" do you speak of?

Great vs MSU. But 14-24 vs 5 biggies we usually play, or want to beat the most. 6-18 vs ugag/vt/um.

Just me, but I don't see beating Elon, acorn state , cuse, mtsu (dammit!), puke (sob), kansas (öööö), uwhine&cheese (öööö) as "winning".

I would gather that CPJ's overall record against good opponents is probably no worse than other coaches. I would also go as far as to speculate that his record against those teams is better than most of their other rivals. (Ex. VT vs UVA)

Unlike CPJ's predecessor he has actually notched two wins against UGA, but as you have noted, there have been struggles against certain other teams. A big outlier for us with CPJ is his record against FSU. That is pretty impressive.

To answer your question, I would ask you another question: given our average recruiting ranking of ~50 over the past 15 years, could you name any other coach in Tech history that could have taken us to 2 OBs and 3 ACCCGs in a 6 season span of time?

Hard to understand how the "play tougher competition" crowd is seriously out in this thread, at this time, in our program's history.

Let's ööööing recap:

We had the hardest schedule in a couple decades,
We had the worst luck in recent memory,
We had a gigantic wall of injuries, and
..That led us to only win 3 games.

Although we were a good team, as the win over FSU and the laundry list of close losses shows, we were just snake bit. And when you're snake bit in your toughest schedule in decades, you only win 3 games.

AND, WHEN YOU ONLY WIN 3 GAMES, YOUR RECRUITING CLASS SUCKS.

That last capitalized bit is pretty much a universal axiom of college football, by the way. Nobody with a record like ours recruits well, even if they've got big titty bitches and free degrees.

So the solution is to win more next year with the (quite good) class we got last year, and hope that this year's class turns out to have more quality than we amateurs can estimate.

Hard to understand how the "play tougher competition" crowd is seriously out in this thread, at this time, in our program's history.

Let's ööööing recap:

We had the hardest schedule in a couple decades,
We had the worst luck in recent memory,
We had a gigantic wall of injuries, and
..That led us to only win 3 games.

Although we were a good team, as the win over FSU and the laundry list of close losses shows, we were just snake bit. And when you're snake bit in your toughest schedule in decades, you only win 3 games.

AND, WHEN YOU ONLY WIN 3 GAMES, YOUR RECRUITING CLASS SUCKS.

That last capitalized bit is pretty much a universal axiom of college football, by the way. Nobody with a record like ours recruits well, even if they've got big titty bitches and free degrees.

So the solution is to win more next year with the (quite good) class we got last year, and hope that this year's class turns out to have more quality than we amateurs can estimate.

Thread is over two years old, man.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

This class is actually pretty good, and the negativity is just short memory. Finally, we have a class that addresses what has been our key need every year since Johnson got here: defensive linemen. We have 5 DL in the class--two of them 4*--and then we have some more coming in as PWOs. Who are our big misses besides Donavaughn Campbell and Romeo Finley? No school wins every recruiting battle. There was Demetris Robinson, but from an interview of his online, I doubt he would have made it at Tech.

BRANDON-ADAMS-150701-PRO.JPG
JORDAN-WOODS-140204-PRO.JPG
4_4040613.jpg
CHRIS-MARTIN-150915-PRO.JPG
4_3688674.jpg

I like the quality in the class.

However we fell short on numbers 17/20. They said they'd be selective and not waste schollies, but 3 short is like probation.

I understand due to our history of giving schollies to walk-ons we are getting a higher quality guy there. I also understand transfers are on the rise. Seems like natural attrition does a good job of providing for those types of folks though.

Falling short numbers is falling short numbers.

I agree. But this class is ok just self probation again.

And roof may be a better recruiter but where has that showed up exactly? With who? We are getting the guys we always get. Then u add he sucks as a coach. The staff is not good imo. I like owens. I like pelton. Maybe cook. Thats it.

LOL @ falling short on the numbers....how does this always happen to GT? Atleast sign a couple of corpses to fill it in, geez!!

LOL @ falling short on the numbers....how does this always happen to GT? Atleast sign a couple of corpses to fill it in, geez!!

our staff is inept. I thought they were getting better with this but they werent. If you know you have 17 open, plan on at least 18 or 19 this happens EVERY year.

our staff is inept. I thought they were getting better with this but they werent. If you know you have 17 open, plan on at least 18 or 19 this happens EVERY year.

Fill me in... Aren't there a few guys announcing today that we could potentially still pick up?? The kid who had the "altercation" with a cop at the game last season in one, I think.

We should hire some Democrats - they know how to get corpses to vote so finding a body to sign shouldn't be that difficult.

Think of the salesmen (head coaches) we've had in either sport. Cremins and Hewitt blow CPJ, O'Leary, Gailey out of the water as salesmen IMHO.

As true a statement as I've heard.:biggthumpup:

PJ said they were not committing all their scholarships available - next year's class is really small in terms of graduating seniors so holding a couple back helps balance out the roster in terms of years.

And weren't most of the guys we signed last year committed to us before we won the Orange Bowl? By my count, 21 had committed before we beat Georgia in 14. We got five after the Orange Bowl, two of them - Alexander and Stewart - very late in the process.

come to georgia tech, punching bag of uga, miami, virginia tech and probably most of the sec. a place where the student population is nothing like you and half could care less who you are.

these kids are treated like gods at sec schools. trust me, as a current student ive been to oxford, auburn , and athens plenty of times and whenever football players roll into bars you would think brad and angelina just showed up. im sure having big boi really brought in recruits...cause the players really enjoyed that... in the locker room. gailey was good because he ran a pro style offense and georgia recruiting was heating up. the acc also had a better reputation with vt,wake,miami,bc.

That's complete bull öööö. Maybe the öööö qb but a bunch fraternity kids at Miss don't get a öööö about a 330 lb black defensive lineman.

Gailey's recruiting classes were ranked poorly too. Your whole post makes zero sense. The state of GA produces well over 150 recruits ever year. We don't have to beat UGA or even Ole Miss for a respectable class. We need to beat teams like Duke for the 3 freaking top 75 kids they pulled out of GA. I am not saying we should have top 10 classes but a good recruiter with the absurd talent in GA and Power 5 scholarships to sling around could consistently pull in top 40 classes. Something we've not done since O'Leary left.

I don't think GT is as easy a "sell" as some think it is. Perhaps we should take off the gold-colored glasses and look at our program objectively.

Let's assume there are only 25 teams recruiting the top 250 players (HA!). An even distribution (unlikely) would mean that we should get 10 of those players. Not bad. Now we all know that GT, unlike virtually everyone else, requires 4 years of math and science, so now if one of these top 250 kids want to come to Tech they have to go above and beyond what's required for 95% of other programs. That probably knocks out at least half of our pool, which means we'd only get 5 of the top 250. Still, not a bad class. Of course throw in the other 50 AQ teams recruiting these kids and our lot gets diluted even more, maybe 1 or 2 guys.

Without exceptions from the Hill, I don't see how we can reasonably expect to get more than 1 or 2 four star players every year. The top 250 are already heavily sought after by programs with far more lenient entrance requirements and easier coursework.

Also, our uniforms are made by Russell. That has to account for a couple of elite guys not giving us the time of day.

Geez man, we aren't recruiting the top 250. We only got 5 out of the top 150 in GA. Get 12 of the top 150 in GA and maybe 5 of the top 75. Is that impossible? We can't even do that.

I like the quality in the class.

However we fell short on numbers 17/20. They said they'd be selective and not waste schollies, but 3 short is like probation.

I understand due to our history of giving schollies to walk-ons we are getting a higher quality guy there. I also understand transfers are on the rise. Seems like natural attrition does a good job of providing for those types of folks though.

Falling short numbers is falling short numbers.

Where are you getting your numbers from? We signed 18 guys. Plus another thread stated we are at 85 schollies now.

Back