Coffee is for Closers Paul!

Total stars, not average stars, are the correct way to look at this class. Presumably we took the best first to fill up 16 and if we had 25 slots, we would have had to have done worse. It was a tough year with a lot of turnover in coaches and still somewhat mediocre results.

I disagree because that puts too much emphasis on the number of players in the class. I would rather have 14 3 stars than 22 2 stars because I have a better chance of some of the 14 seeing the field.

To HELL with all these oooo# projected recruiting "rankings"--the ONLY ranking that counts is the final AP etc. end year POLLS. That's what I care about. Coaching is "supposed" to upgrade marginally "ranked" recruits into successful college players. If the HC and his staff fail to produce a satisfactory "final" product on the field then WOE be to them (and us). Certainly a recruit needs to be "talented" to rec. a scholly--but--it is coaching that finally counts. Our defense sucked last year (discounting the last 2 games) due to poor coaching (IMO). Roof is certainly a + factor and we will be BETTER this year due to an improved D. I want a 4* or 5* final season stat, not concerned with "projections".

I don't know where you get the number 18. All I've heard was CPJ saying that he was willing to take two more (up to 16). As it is, the average star rating is about where it's been the last several years.

I have a serious question for you. As I understand it, one of the things we do promote when we recruit is the GT degree and a committment to support players as long as they're working. Would you prefer that we not renew scholarships for the weaker players so that we can take closer to 25 each year?

Because, if you want to look at the overall ranking rather than average stars, it seems that you want us to oversign or drive guys away like the big boys.

I cannot try to reason with someone who doesnt pay attention to simple math.

You complained that Paul wasn't a salesman. I was engaging that opinion and taking it seriously. I mentioned two guys that have a reputation for being great recruiters because of their salesmanship, Lane Kiffin and Dabo Sweeney. Imo, they're not great coaches, and their teams don't live-up to the expectations of their recruiting classes. On the other hand, CPJ's teams out-perform their recruiting ranking.

The fact that you claim to not have read further just shows that you're an extremely immature person who would rather throw tantrums than engage opinions different from your own. You don't have to agree with a different opinion or change your mind, but a mature person will engage the opinion. An immature person will stop reading, name-call or throw a tantrum.

I'm sorry, but Clemson finished 9th and 11th in final polls last year. They've finished 17th, 14th, and 23rd in the recruiting rankings on Scout the last three years (and 12th most recently). So, how are they "underachieving" again? They've played in and won as many ACC Championships as us in the last five years.

I'm sorry, but Clemson finished 9th and 11th in final polls last year. They've finished 17th, 14th, and 23rd in the recruiting rankings on Scout the last three years (and 12th most recently). So, how are they "underachieving" again? They've played in and won as many ACC Championships as us in the last five years.

People love to hold on to the Dabo is a clown thing, but the reality is that he taken Clemson up a notch since taking over for Bowden.

So we are at parity with Clemson in reality without the grand recruiting rankings. You make a very good point by trying to illustrate how Dabo and the Kitty Cats are superior to Tech but actually we beat their ass as often as they beat ours and our record is very similar.

All this goes to demonstrate that the recruiting game is way over rated. It is coaching and player development that win the day. We can do better at both and our Head man recognizes that and is addressing it.

Go Jackets1

I wouldn't expect you to try and reason. Given your posting history, you might strain yourself.

Did you count the scholarship transfer of Nick Brigham? Did you count the possibility of CPJ wanting to give Byerly or someone else a scholarship?

EDIT: By the way, my original question was a serious question. I didn't have any idea where to find the numbers of players we have on scholarship from which to do the simple math.

Last edited:
So we are at parity with Clemson in reality without the grand recruiting rankings. You make a very good point by trying to illustrate how Dabo and the Kitty Cats are superior to Tech but actually we beat their ass as often as they beat ours and our record is very similar.

All this goes to demonstrate that the recruiting game is way over rated. It is coaching and player development that win the day. We can do better at both and our Head man recognizes that and is addressing it.

Go Jackets1

The tide has turned a bit. People always talk about how mediocre we've been the last 3 years. Well we are 1-2 against them in the last 3 years. Yes, our record is great against them in the last 10 years but the overall trend is not good against them and everyone else.

You miss out on giving Robby and the transfer from Auburn a scholarship. These are the extra two you keep talking about. They were never there. There were only 16. My guess is we fill all these slots and we are very please with the last two.

You miss out on giving Robby and the transfer from Auburn a scholarship. These are the extra two you keep talking about. They were never there. There were only 16. My guess is we fill all these slots and we are very please with the last two.

Robby? You mean Godhigh? He was already counted. He was on scholarship this past year.

but this part of the problem in my opinion. Gailey didn't have to recruit against the Bama, Auburn, or Clemson that we are recruiting against right now. Prior to 2006 Bama didn't sniff the top 10 in recruiting. Plus you have South Carolina rising as well.

GT is taking a back seat to these SEC powers as they rise to dominance. That's why we need to get out of the Southeast, imo. We'd have much better success getting hickville talent in the Midwest to fall in love with Atlanta, then trying to convince SEC boys to come play for us.

but this part of the problem in my opinion. Gailey didn't have to recruit against the Bama, Auburn, or Clemson that we are recruiting against right now. Prior to 2006 Bama didn't sniff the top 10 in recruiting. Plus you have South Carolina rising as well.

GT is taking a back seat to these SEC powers as they rise to dominance. That's why we need to get out of the Southeast, imo. We'd have much better success getting hickville talent in the Midwest to fall in love with Atlanta, then trying to convince SEC boys to come play for us.

Agree with this. I know a lot of people hate Mark Bradley but him along with others on this board have said that GT is thought of in a higher regard outside of Georgia than inside. And other parts of the SE are tough to recruit in because of the rise of the SEC.

Yes he did. Look at the national champs during his time and three of them came from the SEC. I'll agree that they weren't as dominant, but the PAC and Big Ten started sucking as well as the ACC. Southeast recruiting has been hard for a long time since it seems only dumbasses are great football players.

There's no doubt that Chad Morris has helped turn things around there, and Venables has helped a lot. I was speaking about more than just last year. They've had top 20 recruiting classes almost every year for a while. I think 2009 or 2010 they had a "bad" class at 33. Yet they weren't top 20 every year. That was my point.

We absolutely have to go out of state for recruiting. We get bashed more than any program in the history of programs bashing history.

Is this what Paul Johnson was referring to (out of state stuff) when he said he was going to "change his philosophy" in regards to recruiting?

Yes he did. Look at the national champs during his time and three of them came from the SEC. I'll agree that they weren't as dominant, but the PAC and Big Ten started sucking as well as the ACC. Southeast recruiting has been hard for a long time since it seems only dumbasses are great football players.

GTcrew4b has a valid point. From 1998 to 2005 the only SEC BCS Champions were LSU and Tennessee. During that some time period VT, FSU, and Miami appear in the BCS Championship game 6 times winning 2 (only 1 was an ACC team at the time). In fact, in 2004 and 2005 the SEC wasn't even in the BCS championship game. Since 2006 the SEC has won every championship and in 2011 the SEC had both teams in the BCS Championship. The environment that Gailey recruited in wasn't a cakewalk; but it wasn't as lopsided as it is now.

We absolutely have to go out of state for recruiting. We get bashed more than any program in the history of programs bashing history.

Is this what Paul Johnson was referring to (out of state stuff) when he said he was going to "change his philosophy" in regards to recruiting?

When did he say that? Seriously, I don't remember hearing that quote.

And you probably know nothing about sales and have never had to sell yourself or your company. Like I said, blinder engineer types need not comment.

Oh! So YOU'RE the tranny on Spring and Ponce. You get a lot of sales, huh? Hey, I'm not judging.

Lol, you sound like one of those narcissistic small business owners that finds success early and eventually runs their company into the ground. I'm sure you'll find work in two years. I'm also sure it won't be recruiting 17/18 yr old kids to GT.

Oh! So YOU'RE the tranny on Spring and Ponce. You get a lot of sales, huh? Hey, I'm not judging.

Lol, you sound like one of those narcissistic small business owners that finds success early and eventually runs their company into the ground. I'm sure you'll find work in two years. I'm also sure it won't be recruiting 17/18 yr old kids to GT.

My slogan is "Luring em in since 1990".

Back