Coffee is for Closers Paul!

GTcrew4b has a valid point. From 1998 to 2005 the only SEC BCS Champions were LSU and Tennessee. During that some time period VT, FSU, and Miami appear in the BCS Championship game 6 times winning 2 (only 1 was an ACC team at the time). In fact, in 2004 and 2005 the SEC wasn't even in the BCS championship game. Since 2006 the SEC has won every championship and in 2011 the SEC had both teams in the BCS Championship. The environment that Gailey recruited in wasn't a cakewalk; but it wasn't as lopsided as it is now.

As coach from 2002-2007, what is your point? The SEC won the championship 3 out of the 5 years and was deemed the superior conference as a whole. Georgia has always been about the SEC. The momentum has been there for more than 30 years.

There's no doubt that Chad Morris has helped turn things around there, and Venables has helped a lot. I was speaking about more than just last year. They've had top 20 recruiting classes almost every year for a while. I think 2009 or 2010 they had a "bad" class at 33. Yet they weren't top 20 every year. That was my point.

And my point is that your recruiting class has an impact 3-4 years down the road, and you're seeing the fruits of their last 4-5 recruiting classes. They weren't just good last year, they were good the year before and their younger guys hit the wall near the end of the season.

And my point is that your recruiting class has an impact 3-4 years down the road, and you're seeing the fruits of their last 4-5 recruiting classes. They weren't just good last year, they were good the year before and their younger guys hit the wall near the end of the season.

I got your point, but you still seem to be ignoring mine. They had a top 20 class in 05, 06, 07, and 08. They were 37th in 09 with 12 recruits, getting 7 4*. They've had top 20 or top 10 classes every year since then.

During that same time, they've finished in the top 20 once since 2005 (last year with Chad Morris as OC and Venables as DC), and have had two seasons with 7 or fewer wins. Yes, they've had other top 25 seasons, but I don't think that undermines my point.

Bump. This staff needs a lesson in how to sell. cant close, can't meet numbers, and too many reaches.

Bump. This staff needs a lesson in how to sell. cant close, can't meet numbers, and too many reaches.

Funny that the year after you started this thread, we won the Orange Bowl. Probably Gailey's players though.

Funny that the year after you started this thread, we won the Orange Bowl. Probably Gailey's players though.

You mean two years. Started 3 years ago. So there was a football season of Vad in between.

Meh. I went with years instead of seasons. Was still the following year (plus one day).

More like 19 months. But look at the 2013 class and tell me I was wrong? If anything they suck more than I gave them credit for.

More like 19 months. But look at the 2013 class and tell me I was wrong? If anything they suck more than I gave them credit for.

You're knocking the class that brought us Antonio The Truth Messick and 6 Star Kicker Harrison Butker, our savior.
You need to step off.

This is the best recruiting class we've had following a 3 win season in a long time.

/ducks

There are three types of coaches in college football:

Those that can manage a game, but can't recruit (Paul Johnson)
Those that can recruit, but can't manage a game (Butch Jones)
And - the rarest ones - those that can do both (Nick Saban)

The reality of GT football is this: it is a tough place to recruit and it doesn't pay competitively enough to justify keeping the coaches that can manage games and recruit. We can go down a division and pick up someone like Tom Herman, and he will likely get us a few 4 stars, but he will leave us when a $5mil/yr job opens up. Then we have to spin the wheel again.

Our recruiting has virtually unchanged in 20 years. While I agree that CPJ needs to make up ground with the fans after last year's debacle, I don't anticipate us jumping into a top 10 class any time soon. So ask yourself this:

Do you want a guy that can recruit and manage a game? If yes, you will have 3 years of glory, a NY6 win, and the coach will be poached.

Or would you rather have a coach that can win, but can't recruit? That's what we've got today and it took us to the same NY6 and we got to keep the coach.

Good deal.

Stakes:
Bottle of Jameson.

Terms:

If CPJ is not fired at the end of the 2013 season, bet is off.

If he is fired, and GT's program is "no better than Duke" by the end of the 2015 season, Diseq owes Beej a bottle of Jameson. If GT's program is "better than Duke" then the other way around.

How would you like to define "no better than Duke" ..? I think ACC record would be a fair benchmark.

If the CPJ firing clause wasn't in here...

What is wrong with these recruits should be the question.

I mean, who the hell wouldn't want to spend some QT with Coach Nipple Rings??? Sewak is the coolest.

Back