Coleman on 680 Now...

**DONOTDELETE**

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Said nothing 'bout Tech until right at the end.. Arnie asked him to comment about Tech.. he chuckled and said he has already received a lot of flak for what he has said.. (any truth to the to the rumor that gnats67 sent Coleman a horse head?)... Said that Tech was a 7 or 8 win team before the academic casualties, 3 or 4 now...

Originally posted by BeeBad:
Said nothing 'bout Tech until right at the end.. Arnie asked him to comment about Tech.. he chuckled and said he has already received a lot of flak for what he has said.. (any truth to the to the rumor that gnats67 sent Coleman a horse head?)... Said that Tech was a 7 or 8 win team before the academic casualties, 3 or 4 now...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Should send him the horse's ass.

He actually also said the coach's feel good about this team so we'll have to wait and see. 4 wins is no different a prediction from most out there. Forget the bull___ homer predictions. If we end up playing 10-15 freshman, which at this point I say bring em on if they win the job, then it's going to be a learning year. 4 wins with freshman, tough schedule, but competetive would bring a sense that we are ok. We have 6 possible losses and 6 possible wins as I have said in MY OPINION. But the more freshman play, the more I would say 4 looks like a good prediction. Mine is 3-9. I still would much rather be able to redshirt these guys, but we cant afford to this year. So if Ball wins the job, play him from game 1 or 2. If Bilbo wins the job, but doesnt cut by game 4, play the freshman.

Originally posted by The Gnome of Zurich:
He actually also said the coach's feel good about this team so we'll have to wait and see. 4 wins is no different a prediction from most out there. Forget the bull___ homer predictions. If we end up playing 10-15 freshman, which at this point I say bring em on if they win the job, then it's going to be a learning year. 4 wins with freshman, tough schedule, but competetive would bring a sense that we are ok. We have 6 possible losses and 6 possible wins as I have said in MY OPINION. But the more freshman play, the more I would say 4 looks like a good prediction. Mine is 3-9. I still would much rather be able to redshirt these guys, but we cant afford to this year. So if Ball wins the job, play him from game 1 or 2. If Bilbo wins the job, but doesnt cut by game 4, play the freshman.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Agree completely. If Gailey can pull out 4 wins while playing a lot of freshman against this schedule, then I will say job well done by everyone. Anything more than 4 is just gravy for this year.

Let's see...

gimme games: UNC, Duke, WF, Vandy. Folks we could line up McEachern or Douglas County High School and beat these teams.

Other teams with lots of holes... Clemson, NCSU, BYU, and UGA. Look at the returning starters folks... these guys are playing freshmen/sophmores too and lots more than we are.

Originally posted by Beesnut:
Let's see...

gimme games: UNC, Duke, WF, Vandy. Folks we could line up McEachern or Douglas County High School and beat these teams.

Other teams with lots of holes... Clemson, NCSU, BYU, and UGA. Look at the returning starters folks... these guys are playing freshmen/sophmores too and lots more than we are.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Hate to tell you but we are gimme games to the same- that's why 4 is a good prediction like Coleman said on air. We will beat someone we shouldnt and lose to someone we shouldnt.

4 wins is what i expect, it is not acceptable , if we win only 4 show chan the door. it is a sad day in tech history when someone says 4 wins is acceptable.

How about DEPTH being a big issue? That too me speaks volumes for a lot of things this season. If true freshman have to line up as starters and we are playing this schedule - and have no depth, we are not going to cut it and compete.

You look at the good teams - and depth and talent makes them able to compete and not lose a step one a backup comes in. We even have problems with backups existing in some situations.

That's what always happened in the past - no depth and ran out of gas in the 4th quarter. Substituting in an easy game is needed, what about the tough ones? And then substituting with some experience and talent.

The NC State game of 2000 was a perfect example. After that loss in OT, O'Leary said we needed to play more players and told Ralph to start playing more freshmen on offense. He said we ran out of gas in the 4th qtr and OT. We then proceeded to go on to the 6 game winning streak.

As much as the QB is a big issues, the number of bodies being able to play and contribute w/o missing too many steps is scary!

That's my point all of these teams are relying on FRESHMEN to come in and help. UGA will be doing it, NCSU will be, BYU will be, Wake will be, Clemson will be.

We will see but I can see us in a seventh straight bowl.

Originally posted by Beesnut:
Where do you see playing 15 freshmen because frankly I don't see it.

OL? no. QB? Probably not. WR? No. LB? No. Secondary? No. DL? Maybe three at most if they get rotated in. RB? Grant may get some carries but there are a lot of other backs ahead of him. TE? No.

Sorry I don't see 15 freshmen hitting the field. Remember a RFr has been in the program for a year and we aren't playing many of them either.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">beesnut.. freshmen will play .. lots of them. we'll play freshmen at RB (grant), at WR (finess usher, chris dunlap), at LB (kamichael hall, nick moore), at DE (joe anoia, adamm oliver), at DT (mansfield wrotto, leshaun newberry) .. phew .. there's more .. at CB (kenny scott), at QB??

i don't know who we will red shirt.

but i get your point. i also agree with your assessment that tech will play its 7th bowl game in a row .. if a few things go our way
smile.gif

And the point to this is what?

Fact, we have depth problems.
Fact, we will have to play more freshmen the we would like.
Fact, the schedule is already set.

We'll play the guys the coaches think give us the best chance to win. If they are freshmen so be it. In some ways I think it will be refreshing, instead of redshirting guys who are actually better than the upperclassmen ahead of them we'll be playing guys based on talent and what they show on the field. Will we be successful? Don't know yet. For those who want to throw in the towel already, have at it. For those who say we won't compete, I say you're full of it. I believe these kids will give it everything they've got. With decent QB play and some breaks we will be fine.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
And the point to this is what?

Fact, we have depth problems.
Fact, we will have to play more freshmen the we would like.
Fact, the schedule is already set.

We'll play the guys the coaches think give us the best chance to win. If they are freshmen so be it. In some ways I think it will be refreshing, instead of redshirting guys who are actually better than the upperclassmen ahead of them we'll be playing guys based on talent and what they show on the field. Will we be successful? Don't know yet. For those who want to throw in the towel already, have at it. For those who say we won't compete, I say you're full of it. I believe these kids will give it everything they've got. With decent QB play and some breaks we will be fine.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">NCJ: My point is - HAVING TO PLAY THEM, not playing them because they stand out over veterans and are the better players. Sure teams play freshman but it's ususally because they come to camp - made an impact (ala Nat Dorsey) and they should play and won the position. Our scenario this year is different and it's scary.

Throwing the towel in is not what I was expressing and was not saying. I was not throwing the towel in - I was analyzing WHY we have to play them and how that hurts the situation. I was suggesting HAVING to utilize them to compete because of the numbers scenario and not have the luxury of redshirting a large amount and allowing a few who stand out - ala, Dorsey, Daryl Smith, Key Fox to play early early.

Redshirting is a luxury that coaches love to have but we will not only NOT have it, but are being put in the position to HAVE play most, that's what's scary.

One question? Are we talking about Gary Coleman, or Marco Coleman? If it's Gary I'd not listen since he is running for gov in the land of fruits and nuts. If it's Marco not sure I'd listen to him either. Granted he was great when he was here but is he close enough to the program now to speak with authority? (the Gary Coleman was a little joke only).

Originally posted by toe meets leather:
4 wins is what i expect, it is not acceptable , if we win only 4 show chan the door. it is a sad day in tech history when someone says 4 wins is acceptable.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I have not seen one post on Stingtalk that has stated 4 wins as being acceptable.

BeeSerk did say that any wins over four was gravy for this year due to all the freshmen having to play, but he did not say it was acceptable. Since some on the board and many sports writers are predicting 4 wins or less, BeeSerk's statement was not unreasonable.

I don't think any Tech fan thinks 4 wins is acceptable.

Father Time

MsTA, you said "we are not going to cut it and compete." Maybe I misunderstand, but to me that sounds like you've given up. Happy to hear it's not true.

I would rather not have to play the freshmen either, but that's what we're facing. I don't know what's to be gained by worrying about it.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
MsTA, you said "we are not going to cut it and compete." Maybe I misunderstand, but to me that sounds like you've given up. Happy to hear it's not true.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">My 'cut it and compete' verbage is about the numbers and depth. I don't care what I've said about this coach - I have ALWAYS said as a fan - I have never gone to a game and not expect us to win - even when I knew it wasn't in the cards - that's a fan whether it is me, you or anyone else on this board. I'm a realist but I am a fan.

PS - to me 'throwing in the towel' is giving up my season tix after 29 years, never watching them on TV, never saying I'm a fan of GT, turning in all the GT clothing and fixings and rooting for the other teams and never coming on this board again because I've left the GT fan family!

Originally posted by oldfoggy:
One question? Are we talking about Gary Coleman, or Marco Coleman? If it's Gary I'd not listen since he is running for gov in the land of fruits and nuts. If it's Marco not sure I'd listen to him either. Granted he was great when he was here but is he close enough to the program now to speak with authority? (the Gary Coleman was a little joke only).
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Coleman Rudolph

MsTA... you're not serious about "throwing in the towel" are you? Sheesh don't let folks on a fanboard ruin your fandom.

Back