College Football Countdown 2019

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
The Orlando Sentinel has again decided to show their college football ignorance with this season's guesses in reverse chronological.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college-gridiron-365/

They started at 130, and are down to around 90 at the moment. I'll post some notables here.

121 - Georgia State
114 - Navy
112 - Kansas - Les Miles - Big 12
110 - Rutgers - B1G
100 - Oregon State - Pac 12

91 - Liberty - Hugh Freeze

87 - Georgia Tech ?

82 - Georgia Southern (lol)

64 - Western Michigan
60 - Troy
57- BC
54 - UVA
53 - USF
52 - Appy State

Last edited:

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
GSU is preseason ranked BELOW GSU????

texstinger

Dodd-Like
Have never followed this.

How have their predictions turned out from, say, last 2 seasons? Anyway to know?

I assume they were quite bad based on “football ignorance” comment, unless there is a problem with how they analyzed info instead of just giving opinion.

coit

Have never followed this.

How have their predictions turned out from, say, last 2 seasons? Anyway to know?

I assume they were quite bad based on “football ignorance” comment, unless there is a problem with how they analyzed info instead of just giving opinion.
Generally bad, with a typical overly rated bias of SEC/B1G/Pac12 and an underrating of ACC and Big 12.

I used the lists for 2 years and compared to the post season final rankings. I'll see if I can find those threads.

texstinger

Dodd-Like
Nice work up & analysis. Thanks.

So, if I understand, based on the end of season poll, this outfit “overranked” 13 of the top 25 and “underranked” 9, with one ending up as predicted?

Wonder how different those % are compared to other services? No doubt if the top 50 - 75 are analyzed the outcome would be much more dramatic.

Fun to speculate about these things this time of year.

coit

Nice work up & analysis. Thanks.

So, if I understand, based on the end of season poll, this outfit “overranked” 13 of the top 25 and “underranked” 9, with one ending up as predicted?

Wonder how different those % are compared to other services? No doubt if the top 50 - 75 are analyzed the outcome would be much more dramatic.

Fun to speculate about these things this time of year.

Yeah, that's a pretty fair way to summarize it. And another takeaway for me is that in the ACC, most of the middle to bottom teams ended up much higher than the OS projected them to be, which I think is a good measure of perceived conference strength from a top to bottom sense.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Bulletin board materials, IMO.

87, what a friggin joke.
Poorly researched, too. They mention Cottrell and Jarrett as our RBs even though they are both slot WRs. No mention of Mason and Howard who combined for 1100 yards last year.