Collins to Alabama?

Discussion in 'Football' started by EastboundJacket, Aug 7, 2019.

1. covingtonjacket

covingtonjacket Flats Noob

Loc:
    hinterlands
    Team:
    You can probably guess
    This is why I think they will need to plug in someone (or maybe 3) before Dabo would consider it. The Bama fan base would be completely insufferable to begin with. They need to wander in the wilderness for a while after Saban before they will appreciate anyone or any level of success, no matter how high.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 18in32

18in32 Petard Hoister

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Bro do u dobro?

3. JoeCakeEater

JoeCakeEater Dodd-Like

Loc:
    The South
    Team:
    The Institute
    Saban is so good. Not necessarily ethical, but one of the best there’s even been at playing this game to win. It’s the best job in the country, but most likely they will take a step back no matter who gets it.

I very much look forward to 3+ loss Alabama teams again...as long as UGA never accounts for one of those losses.

4. gtleviathan

gtleviathan Dodd-Like

Loc:
    The Sweet Spot
    Team:
    Ga. Tech
    Hell to the naw, dobrosephus.

5. GoGATech

GoGATech Big Dummy

Loc:
    GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Using this metric, it seems they can coach. Someone made a composite chart of what they call "Wins per talent score." Essentially, they divided each teams number of wins by the composite 24/7 talent score of that team. They then ranked each team from each conference by talent score, then "wins per talent score" to show which teams basically overperformed their talent level. Temple consistently played above their talent level the years CGC and his staff were coaching. I think he's assembled an even better staff here than he had there.

https://public.tableau.com/shared/W...nt=yes&:origin=viz_share_link&:showVizHome=no

• Like Like x 4
  6. gtg970g

gtg970g Flats Noob

Loc:
    Decatur, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    This is key! I don't want Bama to take a step down after Saban even if it means a weaker ACC due to Clemson loosing Dabo. Maybe the SEC East can get their act together before Saban retires but I don't want to count on that.

7. txsting

txsting Elite level sh*tposting

Loc:
    Knoxville, TN
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    That's a cool link, thanks. I could put some stock into that type of analysis. GT, as expected, looks pretty good on that metric too. But look at WF? Think maybe someone should hire Dave Clawson?? Crazy good job he has done.

8. GoGATech

GoGATech Big Dummy

Loc:
    GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Take a look at Navy as well. Always seem to exceedingly overperform.

9. Walton

Walton Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    It is the big long term question about Collins and the staff. If he can continue what he has done in this off-season and build slightly on it: recruiting, strength & conditioning, player motivation, etc; then I think for sure Tech can/will maintain what we have been in the recent past: above .500 team that can win the division once in awhile.

If we are going to be better than that, then we will have to out coach most teams we play. If you do a poor job, then coaches in this league and the SEC will eat you alive. If we can hold our own against the best coaches and win most of the others, then we will win a lot of games, which will help recruiting and take us to another level.

• Like Like x 1
  10. coit

coit Posting at a high level

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Georgia School of Technology

Curry’s recruits won them a Natty.

11. RamblinWreck27

RamblinWreck27 Flats Noob

Loc:
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    If Dabo is smart he dies and is buried in Death Valley where he is a do-no-wrong god. The best he can do at Bama is not screw it up. At Climpsun, he is the godfather of the program as people know it, and even with their recent track record, from what I can tell there is no elitist feeling from the fan base it is there god given right to be in the position they are in forever as there is with BAMA, OSU, ND, ect. He could go from being in the playoffs every year to once every 3 years and they wouldn't run him out of town, they will just name more stuff after him. Not the case for Bama. I think any desire from playing at Bama has to be overshadowed by tending to what he has created at Climpun.

• Like Like x 3
  12. IM79

IM79 Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Dunwoody
    Team:
    GT
    Yeah, well they would never admit it. Ol' Gene won it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TechPhi97

TechPhi97 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Davidson, NC
    Team:
    Seriously? Georgia Tech
    if he's in the conversation, we're probably a Top 10 team, so I hope he is

14. DeepSnap

DeepSnap Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Hartselle, AL
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Agree wholeheartedly..... if the UpState ever breaks away from South Carolina, it'll be named Daboland.

An interesting twist to this thread might be where would Clem's Son look for Dabo's replacement when/if he ever leaves. Their Big Three - Frank Howard, Danny Ford (MNC in 1981, the year after Ugag), and Dabo were Bammers first..... Charley Pell was the lone Bammer who didn't stay long enough before going to Florida (& leaving Clem's Son on 2 yrs probation).

Is Brent Venables Clem's Son's version of Bud Foster, a highly paid DC but never to be the HFC heir-apparent? Or would one of their co-OCs be HFC heir-apparent?

Just something for a summer Sunday morning down south a coupla weeks before "Game Week"......

15. yellowbritchies

yellowbritchies Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Atlanta,Ga
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Didn't Bama try a Tech man B4 with Bill Curry? How didthat turn out?

16. ramblin_wreck08

ramblin_wreck08 Class of 2012

Loc:
    ATL
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    And on the other end is FSU. Ouch.

17. Whatsthegoodword

Whatsthegoodword Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Simsboro, Arkansas
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I beg to differ. Texas, Florida, LSU, USC, maybe OSU, Penn State & UGA - are all better jobs than Alabama. Saban is just a genius.

18. Techbert

Techbert Dodd-Like

Dick Sheridan did not agree.

19. texstinger

texstinger Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Team:
    Ga. Tech
    Can not imagine any amount of money that would make a lot of the “Hot” coaches, when the time arrives, want to replace Saban.

I think the next BIG job opening might be Michigan ( depending on this year perhaps). And I think they might be willing to throw Saban type $ for the hire.

20. BigDanT

BigDanT Actually John Goodman

Loc:
    Lawrenceville
    Team:
    Yellow jackets
    “He used to play an old dobro, used to play it across his knee. I’d give ol curt my money and he’d play all day for me...”