Collins

HamiltonFan

Varsity Lurker
I get it. But I don't mind saying I am a bit uneasy about a season where you go 3-9 and get beaten by over 40 points THREE times as being the most fun your players have ever had playing football. Group hug, kumbaya?
Considering Cottrell get decidedly (a lot) more playing time under Johnson, his words are extremely interesting.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
I get it. But I don't mind saying I am a bit uneasy about a season where you go 3-9 and get beaten by over 40 points THREE times as being the most fun your players have ever had playing football. Group hug, kumbaya?
Why?

Its like work. Most people will take far less pay under a good boss vs a ööööty one and be much more happy. Players would rather be 3-9 and happy/positive than 6-6 and miserable/negative.

These posts tell you whatever this staff has it is real. Recruits can tell. I mean, seriously, even a bama commit is out there telling you what we have is real. Now I have no idea whatsoever how far they can actually take us when it comes to wins and losses, but I'm sure that we are going to recruit well and have a team that is a family and that fights for eachother. I had fun at a lot of games this year watching the players. Even during losses. Its a game and Im just one fan of negligible significance so I try to put perspective on it. I like that the coaches are keeping this game fun.

Recruits and transfers and walkons want to be a part of this fun. We will soon have better players on paper than almost everyone we face. If we can convert that into wins the bandwagon will get full.

(Yeah its a big if)

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
i don't mean that last post as negative to Johnson. Far from it. This isn't a zero sum game where I can't be fans of both coaches.

Strictly recognizing that what we have right now is unusual. Only parallel I can see is Dabo and Clemson where its all about the players.

bandman

Damn Good Rat
One thing that surprised me a long time ago was learning about people who take tests such as DISC. In the old days, it was my experience at Tech that there were a disproportionate number of D types in the student body (I didn't know what to call it at the time, but if you were not highly self motivated, you weren't going to make it). I expected to find that to be true in business as well. It wasn't.

When I was sent to "charm school" / leadership training by my boss, I had to learn how to deal with people who were not as driven and self motivated to personal and business success -aka winning. I also learned that the body of knowledge of sporting teams was not that the players were D types - the vast majority were in it for group/team/comrades, not winning. I finally understood someone could get their butts kicked in a game (or have a bad season) and be seen partying together that night, talking about how fun it was, or be smiling in a press conference. I really did care more than they did about the L(s). As someone who hated to lose even a game of cards, it was shocking.

It also caused me to look at coaches and see if they were the W or bust types, or the group types. They have different attitudes and approaches. This is a big part of the change we are going through. Not saying it is right or wrong, it just is what it is.

H-town

Helluva Engineer
I would take Chan Gailey but prefer George Oleary!!! Look what George Oleary did... takes over a horrible Bill lewis situation in 1994 (GT was 1-10) and wins 6 games in 1995... Geoff Collins takes over a 7 Win bowl team and losses to a bad FCS team, gets shut out by VT, and has the worst loss to Georgi ever only wins 3 games... Nevermind...maybe you all are to young to remember what George Oleary did.... Again Geoff Collins is no where near GOL he is more like Bill Lewis... the record speaks for itself, it can only be Coach Paul Johnson's fault so long....

FWIW... I heard how great Tobais Oliver was, but they never gave him the ball.. I heard how fast Nate Cotrell was..something like 22mph fastest on that gadget they use in practice... but they coud not find any plays for him on offense or use him as a mismatch....I saw nothing on the field this season that gives me hope about next year or the Collins Era moving fwd. Collins hasn’t shown me anything positive as a game day head coach yet. Nothing!!
O'Leary came to my English class and talked for an hour. I remember him saying that he was dissatisfied with the quality of athlete on the team. Wanted to change the team to big, long football players.

Sounds eerily similar to today's conversation.

DeepSnap

Flats Noob
2-9
3-8
7-4

That's Bobby Ross' GT record before 1990. I'm not suggesting Collins will get to the 1990 level, but I was one of the ones who saw Curry's kids quit vs UNC in the 2nd half of the 1987 game & only beat Citadel and Indiana State that year. It would be 1989 & only after opening that season with three straight losses before the ship got righted and we even won an ACC game under Boss Ross.

We've just finished Year Zero under Collins. I've talked with a number of former FB Letterwinners & to a man everyone is behind Collins. We GET it. This was Year Zero and the changes a lot of people wanted have come with a cost. We knew that. Yes there have been a few bone-headed decisions, but that's the nature of 20-20 hindsight. Too many of our OLs are shaped like this 70 YO TechEx. And when you're starting a walk-on on the OL & two walk-ons on the DL, you are in deep kimchee and yes, I was a walk-on. There is a difference.

Patience, grasshopper, patience. The real season, Signing Season, starts in two weeks.

THWG!

18in32

Petard Hoister
Once upon a time it was the winning that was fun. No one expected practice and training and all the rest of it to be fun. Can't help but see this as part of a much larger change in generational expectations.

User 10337

Why?

Its like work. Most people will take far less pay under a good boss vs a ööööty one and be much more happy. Players would rather be 3-9 and happy/positive than 6-6 and miserable/negative.

These posts tell you whatever this staff has it is real. Recruits can tell. I mean, seriously, even a bama commit is out there telling you what we have is real. Now I have no idea whatsoever how far they can actually take us when it comes to wins and losses, but I'm sure that we are going to recruit well and have a team that is a family and that fights for eachother. I had fun at a lot of games this year watching the players. Even during losses. Its a game and Im just one fan of negligible significance so I try to put perspective on it. I like that the coaches are keeping this game fun.

Recruits and transfers and walkons want to be a part of this fun. We will soon have better players on paper than almost everyone we face. If we can convert that into wins the bandwagon will get full.

(Yeah its a big if)
Nailed it

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
I think these upperclassmen are confirming what most observers would have surmised - that playing for Paul Johnson in the last several seasons was not a whole lot of fun.

gt2690b

PB time!
The only thing that gives me hope with the cgc era is that Dabo seemed to be a terrible game day coach too but luckily for Clemson wasn’t needed for success.. here’s to hoping Patenaude is a scape goat or turns a corner and cgc stays the rara guy like Dabo

knoxjacket

Dodd-Like
Once upon a time it was the winning that was fun. No one expected practice and training and all the rest of it to be fun. Can't help but see this as part of a much larger change in generational expectations.
Once upon a time Bobby Dodd had the players playing volleyball during practice. It can be both.

cincyjacket

Dodd-Like
CPJ rode the players hard when they made mistakes.

This coach gives hugs after losing 52-7.

That’s the difference in a nutshell.