Collins

Once upon a time it was the winning that was fun. No one expected practice and training and all the rest of it to be fun. Can't help but see this as part of a much larger change in generational expectations.
Want us to get off your lawn?

I don’t think it was just about being tough when players make mistakes. There did not seem to be a great enthusiasm or joy with the teams recently. I liked Paul Johnson and liked his spread option offense. But, I think in the second half of his tenure he lost a lot of his own enthusiasm for recruiting, for enjoying the players, and developing overall team chemistry. The messaging was more negative than positive. Players don’t like to lose. But, when graduating seniors tell you they appreciate Collins for rejuvenating their passion for playing football that is significant. Even those of us who really liked Coach Johnson can see this.

Once upon a time it was the winning that was fun. No one expected practice and training and all the rest of it to be fun. Can't help but see this as part of a much larger change in generational expectations.

Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I found practice fun. Save a few things I pretty much enjoyed all of it, I wasn't the only one. For others, playing time status might affect how much practice was fun.

I haven't been to a practice yet, but if they're doing that thing where they separate and everyone's getting reps during practice, then I could see how that could be a lot more fun than just standing there getting mental reps.

In my experience - namely at work - it's not just an age-based thing but a result of people of all ages having it so good that they simply don't see failure as a possible consequence. Hatred of failure is not a negative or pessimistic view, but that kind of aggression seems increasingly verboten in almost all social settings.

I had some really good coaches in high school. One particularly hard-assed one gave a lesson that's stuck with me to this day. "Guys, I want playing on this team to be fun for you. You know what's really fun? Winning." He was dead serious and was also completely right.

Probably not a starting QB at any other P5 school though. I doubt he would fit our new system as the starting QB.
Surely you aren't serious. JFN was a 5.8 rated 4* dual-threat QB prospect with offers from UF, UGA, FSU, and USC-E. He had a cannon arm and bought in to the new scheme and put that on the shelf to become what we all know him as. He would've thrived in a more traditional offense as well.

I don’t think it was just about being tough when players make mistakes. There did not seem to be a great enthusiasm or joy with the teams recently. I liked Paul Johnson and liked his spread option offense. But, I think in the second half of his tenure he lost a lot of his own enthusiasm for recruiting, for enjoying the players, and developing overall team chemistry. The messaging was more negative than positive. Players don’t like to lose. But, when graduating seniors tell you they appreciate Collins for rejuvenating their passion for playing football that is significant. Even those of us who really liked Coach Johnson can see this.

You make a good point. For most of the team this is their last opportunity to play a sport that they've dedicated half their lives to. They should enjoy it and their college experience.

Looking back I wished I had enjoyed college more; but honestly, I don't think I could have without either taking the M train or going to a different school. But then again, Ma Tech isn't the grinder that it used to be (and that's a good thing).

Surely you aren't serious. JFN was a 5.8 rated 4* dual-threat QB prospect with offers from UF, UGA, FSU, and USC-E. He had a cannon arm and bought in to the new scheme and put that on the shelf to become what we all know him as. He would've thrived in a more traditional offense as well.
Yeah, JN would have stayed at qb at a lot of places, but there was discussion of him moving to safety. Not sure the coaches gave that any thought but if he didn't pan out at qb they would have wanted him on the field elsewhere.

The consensus was JN was brought in as 1A qb prospect and Threet as 1B. When Threet figured out Gailey was not going to be kept around and the 3O was a real possibility he transferred so the path was clear for JN whether Gailey stayed or not. I'd say JN had a future at quarterback at all but about 5 or 10 schools. 80% at least. Saying he would not have started at quarterback at any other P5 school is ignorant.

Nesbitt was not recruited to uga to be a QB. A Strong Safety, perhaps.

I've heard that as well from several UGAy fans. End of the day...the same vocal group will not be supportive until we win. Even then, they may have too much 3-O sand to flush before they can support the team.

FWIW, my UGA friends (yes, I have several) say we finally got a real coach and are worried on a number of levels.

If I had any U[sic]GA friends (I don’t: I have standards), I would have told them that Jim Donnan was definitely the man for the job there.

I’m sure your friends thought Gailey was just fine, too.

JRjr

FWIW, my UGA friends (yes, I have several) say we finally got a real coach and are worried on a number of levels.
Did they think Chan Gailey was a "real coach" too? Because if I was inclined to have relations with my sister, I would have been a vocal supporter of Chan Gailey when he was coaching at Tech too.

I've heard that as well from several UGAy fans. End of the day...the same vocal group will not be supportive until we win. Even then, they may have too much 3-O sand to flush before they can support the team.

Who gaf what those assholes think about anything?

Yeah, JN would have stayed at qb at a lot of places, but there was discussion of him moving to safety. Not sure the coaches gave that any thought but if he didn't pan out at qb they would have wanted him on the field elsewhere.

The consensus was JN was brought in as 1A qb prospect and Threet as 1B. When Threet figured out Gailey was not going to be kept around and the 3O was a real possibility he transferred so the path was clear for JN whether Gailey stayed or not. I'd say JN had a future at quarterback at all but about 5 or 10 schools. 80% at least. Saying he would not have started at quarterback at any other P5 school is ignorant.

Close. Threet was supposed to be the savior, a true QB and the best QB prospect that Gailey had been able to recruit. Threet was the 1A qb prospect coming out of high school and we would have never been his choice if he thought for a second he was going to be riding the bench behind Nesbitt. It wasn't just a discussion of Nesbitt moving to safety, he did move to safety after his triple option QB days were done because that was his natural position.

Nesbitt went undrafted in the 2011 NFL Draft but was signed by the Buffalo Bills as a Defensive Back. On September 3, 2011, he was cut from the Bills' final 53-man roster, but was signed to the practice squad the following day. Nesbitt was signed to the Bills 53-man roster as a safety on November 15, 2011.[3] He was waived/injured by the Bills on August 22, 2012, and subsequently reverted to injured reserve on August 24.

Nesbitt was a great player for us and I am not trying to take anything away from that; but as QB he benefited greatly from our move to the option offense. You have to wonder if he would have had a better NFL career if he had switch to Safety in college though.

Did they think Chan Gailey was a "real coach" too? Because if I was inclined to have relations with my sister, I would have been a vocal supporter of Chan Gailey when he was coaching at Tech too.

Chan was viewed as a recruiter because of his NFL ties, experience, and NFL style system.

Close. Threet was supposed to be the savior, a true QB and the best QB prospect that Gailey had been able to recruit. Threet was the 1A qb prospect coming out of high school and we would have never been his choice if he thought for a second he was going to be riding the bench behind Nesbitt. It wasn't just a discussion of Nesbitt moving to safety, he did move to safety after his triple option QB days were done because that was his natural position.

Nesbitt was a great player for us and I am not trying to take anything away from that; but as QB he benefited greatly from our move to the option offense. You have to wonder if he would have had a better NFL career if he had switch to Safety in college though.

I hope CGC makes the right decisions with all the NFL caliber players he was left with from CPJ

In my experience - namely at work - it's not just an age-based thing but a result of people of all ages having it so good that they simply don't see failure as a possible consequence. Hatred of failure is not a negative or pessimistic view, but that kind of aggression seems increasingly verboten in almost all social settings.

I had some really good coaches in high school. One particularly hard-assed one gave a lesson that's stuck with me to this day. "Guys, I want playing on this team to be fun for you. You know what's really fun? Winning." He was dead serious and was also completely right.

+1

Sounds familiar.

If I had any U[sic]GA friends (I don’t: I have standards), I would have told them that Jim Donnan was definitely the man for the job there.

I’m sure your friends thought Gailey was just fine, too.

JRjr
Oh, they liked Gailey. They ain't liking what they see in Collins.
Who gaf what those assholes think about anything?
Meh. Just FWIW.

Back