Colorado Buffs first game starting quarterback throws for over 400 yards and 4 td's

statelinejacket

Damn Good Rat
Colorado Buffs first game starting quarterback throws for over 400 yards and 4 td\'s

True sophmore Joel Klatt against Colorado State a team in the same conference as BYU, therefore comparable in this, was the opponent. First career start! 400 yards 4 touchdowns! Buffaloes win by a touchdown in a highscoring game. And we barely took the wrappings off of Reggie Ball. True I am comparing a true freshman to a true sophmore, but it still 18 years old verse 19 years old and first starts. Plus this kid was starting against a in state rival that the Buffaloes have had a hard time beating the past few years. Talk about pressure on the kid! Biggest difference here between their first game starter and ours is dare I say it.... coaching.

Re: Colorado Buffs first game starting quarterback throws for over 400 yards and 4 td\'s

Can you say broken record?
rolleyes.gif

Re: Colorado Buffs first game starting quarterback throws for over 400 yards and 4 td\'s

That one year with the team is huge whether he started or not. Reggie is still learnig the campus and with three weeks of practice. A world of difference.

Biggest difference here between their first game starter and ours is dare I say it.... coaching
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You gotta be kidding, right? This is just bait to bring a rise outta someone? Surely this is tongue in cheek?

Klatt had all last year on the sidelines to learn the offense. He played in three games last year. Ball had 4 weeks to learn... and BTW, I think he was very well coached.

Originally posted by Big Buck:
That one year with the team is huge whether he started or not. Reggie is still learnig the campus and with three weeks of practice. A world of difference.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Don't kid yourself. Reggie Ball has had the playbook and been on campus since June. This is ridiculous. Who among the viewers of thursday game believes Reggie Ball could have done a helluva lot more with a more open gameplan with playcalling design to take advantage of Reggie's talent. And not play pitch left, pitch right with P.J. Daniels.

Originally posted by statelinejacket:
True sophmore Joel Klatt against Colorado State a team in the same conference as BYU, therefore comparable in this, was the opponent. First career start! 400 yards 4 touchdowns! Buffaloes win by a touchdown in a highscoring game. And we barely took the wrappings off of Reggie Ball. True I am comparing a true freshman to a true sophmore, but it still 18 years old verse 19 years old and first starts. Plus this kid was starting against a in state rival that the Buffaloes have had a hard time beating the past few years. Talk about pressure on the kid! Biggest difference here between their first game starter and ours is dare I say it.... coaching.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Both teams' defense were very porous and predictable. Colorado State is the favorite in the Mountain West Conference this season and they played a heck of a game. Colorado just had the ball bounce their way a few times which really made the difference because overall CSU really outplayed them. But, despite the high scoring game, I think Tech and BYU could beat both CSU and CU. It will be interesting to see how this season pans out...

Dang, you weren't kidding, were you?

C'mon, stateline, get real. Any way you cut it Klatt had a full year longer than Ball to learn the playbook, and his offensive teammates didn't go through a change of offensive coordinator from last year.

There are no similarities at all in this situation.

Please give it a rest Stateline..

If you are that disgruntled.. go talk to the coach.. you were at the practice field a few weeks back.. did you have a talk with Gailey then?
I know he will talk to people, because I talked with him myself...

By the way.. what kind of Harley you got.. maybe we could meet up and ride in the mountains one day.. (I ride a Fatboy)

A year makes a big difference. I think that sort of a performance from a 1st time starter is a freakish thing that has less to do with coaching than things just clicking. That guy may be a great quarterback for the rest of his career, but I wouldn't count on days like that week in and week out. Barnett has never had any other quarterbacks who could do that.

The one point I will give Stateline is that those results required cutting Klatt lose and not remaining focused on his inexperience (and keeping it overly safe). While it wasn't exactly cutting it all loose, Gailey did let Ball throw deep two or three times. I expect that the playbook and Ball's responsibilities will be expanding with each game.

Besides, although it wasn't much, Klatt did play in three games last season:

link

i cannot believe how anyone with a brain can compare the situation of starting a sophomore with starting a true freshman.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">How do you explain the variance between the development of David Greene vs. the development of DJ Shockley? Same coach (Richt is highly regarded as a QB mentor), same OLine, same receivers, different results.

Originally posted by nathogt:
A year makes a big difference. I think that sort of a performance from a 1st time starter is a freakish thing that has less to do with coaching than things just clicking. That guy may be a great quarterback for the rest of his career, but I wouldn't count on days like that week in and week out. Barnett has never had any other quarterbacks who could do that.

The one point I will give Stateline is that those results required cutting Klatt lose and not remaining focused on his inexperience (and keeping it overly safe). While it wasn't exactly cutting it all loose, Gailey did let Ball throw deep two or three times. I expect that the playbook and Ball's responsibilities will be expanding with each game.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thank You! That is the one and only point I am trying to make and why I am so angry about that game and what I expect to see in the future. If Chan Gailey wanted to take it easy for a half I easily see the reasoning. But the second half was more of the same. Reggie Ball never got a chance to make a play execpt for a couple throws downfield. His elusiveness in the open field was obvious on that run of over 30 yards in the first half, after a pass play had broke down. But nothing imaginative was planned for the 2nd half and as the weekend went along I really started getting steamed about that. I'm not trying to get a rise out of anyone just trying to make one point. If he wanted to be so cautious with Reggie he should have stuck with Damarius Bilbo and worked Reggie in slowly. Who can argue with that. Heck we did'nt score an offensive touchdown. Bilbo could'nt do worse than that could he? Coach Gailey says Reggie gives us the best chance and then puts him in chains. Sorry folks but that makes no sense to me.

Originally posted by jacketguy:
Please give it a rest Stateline..

If you are that disgruntled.. go talk to the coach.. you were at the practice field a few weeks back.. did you have a talk with Gailey then?
I know he will talk to people, because I talked with him myself...

By the way.. what kind of Harley you got.. maybe we could meet up and ride in the mountains one day.. (I ride a Fatboy)
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Heritage Special, yes lets hook up soon for a ride. A bite to eat and discussing our mutual interest of Harleys and Tech football would be a pleasure. I'll check with you next week and see if we can set something up.

Originally posted by ContactBuzz:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by statelinejacket:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">How do you explain the variance between the development of David Greene vs. the development of DJ Shockley? Same coach (Richt is highly regarded as a QB mentor), same OLine, same receivers, different results.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Contact Buzz: If I followed Georgia football as I do Tech I might be able to give you a good answer. I can't answer you directly. But indirectly I could say there is nothing wrong with DJ Shockleys development. Its just that David Greene is far surpassing what most observers believed he was capable of. Just as George Godsey did for us.

4 different teams? 2 different players?

Sheesh...checkmate dude...you win.

Why do you people spend all day and night hating?

True I am comparing a true freshman to a true sophmore, but it still 18 years old verse 19 years old ...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Klatt is 21.

If Chan Gailey wanted to take it easy for a half I easily see the reasoning. But the second half was more of the same. Reggie Ball never got a chance to make a play execpt for a couple throws downfield. With our TOP in the second half, that seemed to be a little difficult - and throw in the Red Zone TO's and I think that tends to handcuff an offense.

If he wanted to be so cautious with Reggie he should have stuck with Damarius Bilbo and worked Reggie in slowly. Who can argue with that. Wasn't Bilbo handcuffed last year? I thought that when he came in last year, he only knew a few packages: QB draw (that would always come back b/c of holding), hand-off, or a pass play.

Heck we did'nt score an offensive touchdown. Bilbo could'nt do worse than that could he? 4 INT's in one game tends to raise the ire of a coach, I think. Besides, the starting QB position was Bilbo's to lose - I just can't wait to see Bilbo line up this week and help us where ever he happens to line up.

Coach Gailey says Reggie gives us the best chance and then puts him in chains. Sorry folks but that makes no sense to me. I believe CCG, and I also don't think that you can overlook the impact of the 4 TO's and the lopsided TOP - It impacts everything. I agree to an extent that maybe some different things should have been opened up a tad, I just don't think that there was enough time to implement the BYU game plan and everthing else.

I am hoping to see the same poise exhibited by Reggie this weekend in front of some Rabid Yellow Jacket fans and I think that might result in a little "spectator influenced coaching decisions". I also think that you will see an enhanced playbook for our young signal caller.

That's just my opinion though.
BTW I didn't spend anytime looking up those trivial details some call "facts", I am going off of alcohol-influenced memories, so if any of these "facts" are incorrect - I am sorry.

Sigh. Same story, one of about four rotating authors.

The guy is a sophomore who also played three years
of minor league baseball before he went back to
school...

You cannot compare Ball to this kid.

Back