Colorized Clint Castleberry

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
Don't know about the Brittain piece, but the bldg in the orig pic looks like the old Heisman gym that sat behind the old north stands (added in 1958). IIRC The Heisman gym was a cross between an earth tone like sandstone with a tinge of grey. Some of the OldeFarTekkers on here who had gym & swimming classes there might remember better.
I survived drown-proofing there during the early 70's. For some of us passing this classs was the toughest graduation requirement.

This is a link to the history of the building -
https://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/2017/12/15/16782838/yellow-jacket-history-the-heisman-gym-and-natatorium .
I did not realize this gym was the site of the first TV broadcast of a college basketball game in the south.

DeepSnap

Flats Noob
Does the AA have historical uniforms stored somewhere?
I really doubt it.

For many years the unis were either used the next season, passed on to the freshmen teams, used in practice, and any other way Retired US Army Sgt "Sarge" Edgar Hodges could save a nickle's worth of use out of them.

No idea for certain, but suspect the same continued on for a while.

The concept of keeping a few aside for special viewing IMO gets to be one of space, responsibility, etc. All in all, it's a fairly recent (depends on your definition of "recent") concept.

DeepSnap

Flats Noob
This is a Notre Dame look no?
No, it's a Georgia Tech look in the late Alexander-early Dodd years, even up to the early 50s......

In the early 60s, Rice came into Atlanta with their white road jerseys, only to find out GT was going to wear white jerseys. Dodd & his old buddy, Rice HFC Jess Neeley, agreed Rice would wear GT's dark blue road jerseys. The blues didn't match exactly, but GT definitely wore them into the early 60s. Prob not worn again til Ross brought 'em back in the late 80s.

Added: Link.... Lots of mispronounced names for GT

Last edited:

DeepSnap

Flats Noob
I survived drown-proofing there during the early 70's. For some of us passing this classs was the toughest graduation requirement.

This is a link to the history of the building -
https://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/2017/12/15/16782838/yellow-jacket-history-the-heisman-gym-and-natatorium .
I did not realize this gym was the site of the first TV broadcast of a college basketball game in the south.
Almost forgot - the other painful campus experience in this building was the agony of time cards & manual punch card registration. One of the best bene's of being a jock was a 0700 Time Card, followed closely by not actually having to take drownproofing (a 20 minute float test sufficed) or gymnastics.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
No, it's a Georgia Tech look in the late Alexander-early Dodd years, even up to the early 50s......

In the early 60s, Rice came into Atlanta with their white road jerseys, only to find out GT was going to wear white jerseys. Dodd & his old buddy, Rice HFC Jess Neeley, agreed Rice would wear GT's dark blue road jerseys. The blues didn't match exactly, but GT definitely wore them into the early 60s. Prob not worn again til Ross brought 'em back in the late 80s.
I like the blue. And thanks for the explanation that’s awesome. Some say it’s not traditional and this says otherwise.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
Don't know about the Brittain piece, but the bldg in the orig pic looks like the old Heisman gym that sat behind the old north stands (added in 1958). IIRC The Heisman gym was a cross between an earth tone like sandstone with a tinge of grey. Some of the OldeFarTekkers on here who had gym & swimming classes there might remember better.
Those of us (real men) who took drownproofing are unlikely to ever forget that building.

DinnerJacket

Slowly eroding every brain cell
Not that i know but, at least in the near past, they had Clint's #19 Gold jersey hanging up.

True old Gold with White numbers - no other trim color.
I think the bookstore long long time ago, actually sold a replica of that jersey. In fact, I could have sworn I owned one at one time. This would have been around the early to mid-seventies. Anybody else remember that?

Techbert

Dodd-Like
I've always loved the white unis with gold pants and helmets, cuz I love them. I have never been anti-blue because as this thread has shown, we have always used blue.

gogt121

GTRW121
Eeeh ain’t nobody knows if those jerseys are really blue or not. You pick the colors when you re colorize them

Wreck Em

Dodd-Like
The reason the building changed was because it wasnt really taking the colors I was adding to it. I just stuck in a random building because it got to be too tedious after many tries.
As far as the jersey color goes, I only knew it was dark. I picked Navy because we did wear a lot of navy back then and it just looked too dark to be gold. Again, just a total guess

texstinger

Dodd-Like
I think the bookstore long long time ago, actually sold a replica of that jersey. In fact, I could have sworn I owned one at one time. This would have been around the early to mid-seventies. Anybody else remember that?
They definitely did sell that.