Commit #3- Ryan King- 3*

VPI is someone we should beat in the rankings, but as I mentioned earlier they are signing a lot of bodies but 49,22, 28, 25, & currently 33 is something we should beat. We should be ahead of them regardless of requirements.

As a matter of fact, that entrance requirement needs to stop being a crutch for us
I agree and we are one slot above them for 2020 right now,but obviously premature. 8th place vs 9th place. It was suggested that we be 3rd or 4th every year. I'm just asking if that is a realistic goal. Most of our "challenges" are still in place.

Interesting. I've read in the past that the #/% that would qualify for GT from that group is in the 30% range. Regardless, I look forward to seeing how the new staff does over the next few seasons. Digging what I'm seeing thus far...

CPJ offered 29 of the top 50 in the last cycle, so he was comfortable offering close to 60 percent of them. And some of the ones he didn't offer may have been a bad position fit (like a TE or pro style QB).

I feel very comfortable saying 70-80% of Rivals Top 50 GA ranked players meet the requirements to get into Tech. A lot of HS are prepping these kids as soon 9th grade to meet the requirement of CFB. We just needed effort and now we have it. I expect another Top 50 player to commit soon
Meeting Tech's requirements has never been the issue. The issue, even for non athletes is: " do you want to go to Georgia Tech?" The subset of incoming freshmen that meet the requirements to Tech. also meet the requirements at a dozen or more other schools. They can go any number of places. We need to find those guys that are "leaning" towards Tech, and sell the hell out of our benefits. I see that happening already. There has always been enough players for us to field a team. What we should strive for is a couple dozen better players.

Meeting Tech's requirements has never been the issue. The issue, even for non athletes is: " do you want to go to Georgia Tech?" The subset of incoming freshmen that meet the requirements to Tech. also meet the requirements at a dozen or more other schools. They can go any number of places. We need to find those guys that are "leaning" towards Tech, and sell the hell out of our benefits. I see that happening already. There has always been enough players for us to field a team. What we should strive for is a couple dozen better players.
Just a small amount of understanding of the educational status of the pool of the better players in HS from the Southeast, will make it obvious to anyone that Tech's requirements have been and still are an issue. If we get say half or even less of the South Georgia DL that ugag has lived and thrived on for many many years, I will change my mind. Does anyone think our past 5-6 coaching staffs have been stupid and or ignorant of who the best DL players in the State have been the last 30-40 years!? How many have we signed?

Look, the energy, marketing/branding, and most of all putting the TO behind us will help a GREAT deal, but the AJC article in the 90's about our football player SATs being the highest among public colleges was no joke. SATs for the regular students have skyrocketed since then, so the players in all likelihood score higher now than then.

Just a small amount of understanding of the educational status of the pool of the better players in HS from the Southeast, will make it obvious to anyone that Tech's requirements have been and still are an issue. If we get say half or even less of the South Georgia DL that ugag has lived and thrived on for many many years, I will change my mind. Does anyone think our past 5-6 coaching staffs have been stupid and or ignorant of who the best DL players in the State have been the last 30-40 years!? How many have we signed?

Look, the energy, marketing/branding, and most of all putting the TO behind us will help a GREAT deal, but the AJC article in the 90's about our football player SATs being the highest among public colleges was no joke. SATs for the regular students have skyrocketed since then, so the players in all likelihood score higher now than then.
I'd agree with you if we needed five 5-star DL every cycle. What we need is a couple of 4 or 5 star DL each year to make significant improvement. A few game changing players make the players next to them better. And if Collins and company can get us to a nice bowl game, preferably New Year's Six, it will be a shot in the arm for recruiting. And our players having higher SAT's doesn't necessarily mean those with lower scores couldn't be signed. They just weren't signed, went elsewhere, didn't fit our system, etc.

Hasn't this been covered many times....... offers are not committable offers. The "offers" you reference were basically letters of interest.

I would imagine quite a lot of them were committable, but as CPJ always said, they have to be interested in you, too.

I'd agree with you if we needed five 5-star DL every cycle. What we need is a couple of 4 or 5 star DL each year to make significant improvement. A few game changing players make the players next to them better. And if Collins and company can get us to a nice bowl game, preferably New Year's Six, it will be a shot in the arm for recruiting. And our players having higher SAT's doesn't necessarily mean those with lower scores couldn't be signed. They just weren't signed, went elsewhere, didn't fit our system, etc.
Some of the DL you mention did indeed just not sign, and some just couldn't even they wanted to due to requirements. As for signing two 4-5 star DL each class, this has been rare if ever (I'm really talking about interior war daddies like Daryl Richards, not DEs). If CGC can pull it off, then our program will be transformed. Here's hoping he can smother and cover em AND keep em in school.

I would imagine quite a lot of them were committable, but as CPJ always said, they have to be interested in you, too.
No, they were not at the time the "offers" first went out, which is what the people who say we offered 60% of the 5 stars mean. Letters of interest are a universe away from a committable offer.

No, they were not at the time the "offers" first went out, which is what the people who say we offered 60% of the 5 stars mean. Letters of interest are a universe away from a committable offer.

I have a hard time believing that if some 4 or 5 star wanted to commit early, CPJ would have told them they had to wait. I think what generally happened is the recruit signaled no interest in us and the staff simply moved on. Even if you are right, the point remains the same. Why send offers or even letters of interest to kids you don't think can qualify? I don't think grades are the primary reason we didn't sign top 50 recruits. In a few cases, sure. The bigger reason is they simply didn't want to come here.

I'm convinced the really good players had zero interest in playing in CPJ's system, the really good kids want the $$$ so they want to play in systems that prepare you for playing on Sunday, to me it is that simple, hell who doesn't want a million or two bucks as working capital to help you get through the rest of your life, I would. Now we're going to prepare them, have mentors, and help them achieve life goals and we're better situated than many schools to do that. For years(I've heard) ND has had mentors for each player, a relationship that last many years after the athlete has graduated from school.
I truly believe we have a workable program, we just needed someone that believe's in it and knows how to promote and work it. I'll be so glad when we can get past all the non believers or that I'm proven wrong, it will be one or the other.
You don't have to have all 4 and 5 star players to win a natty, look at Clemson, they get a lot more 3 star players than I realized. It appears to me that there are a lot of really outstanding players that come out of the 3 star ranks, good talent evaluators find them, Clemson seems to evaluate well IMO. We're going to get 4 star and some really outstanding 3 star that we haven't been getting IMO. I'm hearing current players believe we're getting ready to get some really good players on the flats.

I have a hard time believing that if some 4 or 5 star wanted to commit early, CPJ would have told them they had to wait. I think what generally happened is the recruit signaled no interest in us and the staff simply moved on. Even if you are right, the point remains the same. Why send offers or even letters of interest to kids you don't think can qualify? I don't think grades are the primary reason we didn't sign top 50 recruits. In a few cases, sure. The bigger reason is they simply didn't want to come here.
If a 4-5 star wanted to commit early, CPJ or any other coach we have had would make a conditional offer, and then when his academic background check showed he had at least a reasonable chance to survive at a very high ranked Institute with no place to hide, he would make a committable offer. If that's called "waiting", then it's simply reality.
Yes, a lot of players had no interest in us due to having to commit to working very hard in the classroom and due to the unique scheme we ran. Well, we have eliminated the latter, and I have long been an advocate of providing an unusually high level of academic support to recruits that have shown at least a high work ethic in the classroom. If we had not historically included "exceptions" (to OUR standards), we would have the football legacy of RICE, no MNC, and no TIAR. If CGC and TStan can supersize (say 4-6 vs 2-3 per class) the exception approach, AND we demonstrate we can keep em eligible, then the former issue will have been eliminated. Here's to hoping we can pull it off, because otherwise the hype will be crushed by reality.

If a 4-5 star wanted to commit early, CPJ or any other coach we have had would make a conditional offer, and then when his academic background check showed he had at least a reasonable chance to survive at a very high ranked Institute with no place to hide, he would make a committable offer. If that's called "waiting", then it's simply reality.
Yes, a lot of players had no interest in us due to having to commit to working very hard in the classroom and due to the unique scheme we ran. Well, we have eliminated the latter, and I have long been an advocate of providing an unusually high level of academic support to recruits that have shown at least a high work ethic in the classroom. If we had not historically included "exceptions" (to OUR standards), we would have the football legacy of RICE, no MNC, and no TIAR. If CGC and TStan can supersize (say 4-6 vs 2-3 per class) the exception approach, AND we demonstrate we can keep em eligible, then the former issue will have been eliminated. Here's to hoping we can pull it off, because otherwise the hype will be crushed by reality.

I think a lot of fans *think* they know how hard it is to recruit at Tech. I was the same way. Yet, you have guys who recruit for a living, Geoff Collins and Brent Key, who were busting a gut to try and get back here. Doesn't seem like something they would do if they didn't think they had a high probability of success. And that is what has changed my mind on this issue and raised my expectations. Besides, if they are now using elite academics as a selling point, I think it does no good for us as fans to continue treating it as a crutch.

The hype is so high right now that there is 100% chance that it WILL be crushed by reality. But not living up to the hype does not equate to abject failure. We will get better players than we have been getting, but we probably won't out-recruit our rivals. Coaching has to be part of the equation.

I think a lot of fans *think* they know how hard it is to recruit at Tech. I was the same way. Yet, you have guys who recruit for a living, Geoff Collins and Brent Key, who were busting a gut to try and get back here. Doesn't seem like something they would do if they didn't think they had a high probability of success. And that is what has changed my mind on this issue and raised my expectations. Besides, if they are now using elite academics as a selling point, I think it does no good for us as fans to continue treating it as a crutch.
I think most of us realize that this staff is largely made up of snake-oil salesmen. The "Tech guys" know they have to sell our particular brand of oil differently than the Tuscaloosa or Spartanburg variety. I am glad they have a plan and a high motor. And we are lucky that their audience is receptive to the sales pitch---which is fundamentally different than the Tech pitch of the last 30 years. Today's recruits have nothing like this to compare to. It could very well be very successful---especially if the wins materialize.

Amen!

I keep pointing to the Stanford model. They have not always recruited at the level they are now.

Now they are known nationwide as the de facto choice for elite academic & athletic kids.

The msg CGC is now trying to preach is from a technological perspective, GT rivals The Cardinal (and looks down on almost everybody else) on the elite academic scale.

We can (and should) be able to get a piece of that pie.

I don't know if even our old grads realize it (I sure didn't) but we're very likely the only P5 school to have EVERY engineering major ranked in the top-5 nationally.

WE ARE THE ELITE OF THE ELITE!

If a kid even thinks he wants to be an engineer GT should be on his mind (and his coach's mind).

Okay, I've calmed down now.

But I bet CGC, CBK and the rest of the staff are even more pumped than I am about our academics.

I'll add that the academic side is only one part of our appeal. We have a cultural side and a "hip" side that Palo Alto can't touch.

Back