commitment number 5!

Thanks for sharing, D8.
pat.gif

Originally posted by ncjacket:
You know, I try and I try but sometimes I just can't stand it.

Driver you make some sound points, but you are so negative about everything that it's hard to pay much attention to anything you say. Would it be so hard, just once, to say WTTE "this kid sounds pretty good, welcome to Tech!" without lecture on what's wrong with us? Jesus, don't you ever give it a rest?

FYI, FSU and Miami, etc., recruited more highly rated players than us while O'Leary was here too. So get off your soapbox.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I'm very negative about Chan Gailey, not Tech Football. I don't like what he's doing to our program. I'm very pissed off at the Hill as well for there ineptitude in handling 'Jacket Football.

I'll spend all Fall traveling to support the Jackets,....and I hope we win'em all and I am proven to be 100% wrong about the current staff. I'd gladly eat my words were that the case. But I will never back down when I think someone is not doing the things that will produce winning football on the Flats.

Yes, those schools you mentioned out-recruited us under Coach O'Leary,.....but we were a heck of a lot closer to them then not to mention going head-to-head with ugag in-state and more than holding our own.

You can have the soapbox back.

GATA JACKETS!!!

You still don't get my point. I know what you think about Chan and I couldn't care less. My question to you is why you feel the need to denigrate kids who sign to play football for Tech?

In a certain way, my feelings on the new recruit are similar to Driver8's. The article doesn't mention credentials like Parade All-American, Super-100 or even any talk about him being one of the top prospects in the state. Maybe he is, but local papers usually give a kid all the praise possible.

Gailey has got to bring a huge class in this year. His first class was understandably weak. This incoming class was not noteworthy (generally ranked 5 or 6 in the ACC). A three year drought would kill us.

O'Leary was pulling in nice classes. (I think someone knocked him earlier. He did pretty well. A step behind FSU is pretty good and certainly better than a step behind N.C State, UNC, Maryland, Virginia and FSU. Personally, I think the talent gap has widened even more in the last two years.) Hopefully Chan finds his feet and does as well.

I don't think Driver8 is specifically requesting degenerate punks. I think that he is saying that the only thing that matters is their football skills. There are lots of good kids out there but you don't give them football scholarships on account of it.

nathogt, don't know how long you've been checking the board, but Driver just doesn't like anything Chan does and takes it to the extreme of disliking his signees. If all that matters is their football skills, then don't be surprised is losing 10 a year seems like a good year. If these kids can't handle the classwork they won't be around too long.

Also if you're talking about my posts I wasn't down on O'Leary at all. I liked him. But even he said he wasn't recruiting at FSU levels. We were getting closer we thought, but still hadn't caught them. And some of those kids we thought were such great recruits quit on the field last year against Ugag and then in the classroom. Freshmen flunk out sometimes, they just aren't a good fit with the Tech curriculum. But if you're a jr carrying a 1.9 GPA there's something else going on IMO.

I, for one, like to read the US News and World report college rankings on schools and see Tech near the top. If you dumb down the curriculum to satisfy those who want to be UGAg west, you'll cheapen all of the schools degrees and we'll slide on down to Auburn and UGAg academic levels. I think Chan had a fine first recruiting class. Who in particuliar from the class do you have a complaint about? Grant? Ball? Carter? Moore? Roberson? Gaston? Scott? Who???? They all look pretty good to me. Maybe you should go to a practice and let coach know how much our new freshmen suck.

I'm not a personel expert so I read what people in the business have to say. Here is what I've seen Tech's class ranked at: Insiders.com: 39, SportsIllustrated: 38, Street & Smith's: 43, Athlon: #7 in the ACC, (I think the AJC had us around 5 or 6 in the ACC but I couldn't find the article to verify it).

I realize that recruiting rankings are fallable. But big time teams rarely are comprised of average football players.

That said, there were positives. The experts think Grant is a top-notch running back and Scott an outstanding CB. Several of the DBs are listed as 4.4 men. I've heard some good things said about the QB recruits.

nathogt, that's still not the point. If you and Driver want to talk about the relative strengths of our recruiting vs our rivals have at it. But this thread was about Cox, a new recruit who appears to have a big league body and attitude. Last year's ranking have nothing to do with it. And if you're worried about his ranking this year, relax, the point is that the recruiting services are just now getting to some of these kids. Cox is well regarded and will likely be ranked if he has a good senior year.

The point about Driver is his constant, nagging attacks on everything Chan does. If we signed a 5-star tailback, he would have something negative to say. If you don't believe me, just ask him.

ncjacket, you make a great point about Cox (and the rest of the recruits) having a whole senior season to play.

jjacket, I just realized that I let you get by with a bs speech on academic standards. The school's academic reputation and the football program have nothing to do with each other. Do you think we have a team full of engineers? Are you suggesting we should be like the Ivy League and require our players to qualify for Tech under the same standards the students do? A 4.4 is more important than a 1400 and you are a liar if you say otherwise.

Back