Commitment

You are full fledged ööööing moron with no perspective of the situation we are currently in. You look at the Coach as the end all be all of why we can't beat two top 20 teams. So lets go fire the coach and hire someone else, right? That will fix everything will it? Because if you think it will, you are an imbecile who just needs to take his full time seat at the baby table and you can big cry your stupid little ass until you get what you want. What YOU want will put us one step closer to irrelevance and obscurity. Our program is a hairs width away from being a perennial doormat and you're so ööööing stupid to understand that you think changing coaches is the answer.

Now am I perfectly happy with Paul Johnson as our coach? No. I think his recruiting has sucked donkey balls and some of his position coaches most notably his fat bag for a OLine coach are damn horrific. Do I think he is the best we can hope for given our current set up? You are damn right I do and if you don't understand that you 1.) lack understanding of our history 2.) lack understanding of our financial situation, 3.) lack understanding of the commitment by our school and athletic association.

The leadership in the GTAA since Homer Rice left has been in absolute shambles. Dave Braine wasn't half bad at raising money, but he was ööööing horrible in managing money hence the Gailey and Hewitt buyouts which have practically crippled us. Then we hire DRad and he brought some excitement and enthusiasm, but he got out the door to Clemson as soon as he realized the horrible financial situation we were in would take years to fix. Then we get good ole MBob which polarized the few big donors we had and furthermore polarized the majority of donating alumni and fans.

GT has had one foot in the door and one foot out the door on their commitment to generating top athletic programs for years. For a school that is committed to excellence in everything it does, it blows my mind why the attitude that excellent academics and excellent athletics are for the most part mutually exclusive. O'Leary worked hard in forcing that issue. When he left, we brought in Chan, accepted the NCAA fates of core curriculum requirements, and the Hill pushed for less tolerance in accepting athletes. This stagnated with an inability to break the 7 win barrier. Paul Johnson was promised changes by the Hill in order to run what he deemed to be a successful operation. Those changes have not matriculated. Paul Johnson was hired because the school didn't want to emphasize athletics anymore. They just wanted a coach and a system that could even the playing field. That's basically what PJ has done. In the meantime for marginal season he has had, he has given us two 10+ win seasons, and one 9 win season. Better than all of his predecessors. He took us to a BCS bowl and won.

Until you recognize the extremely fragile nature that is Georgia Tech athletics, be careful what you wish for. We won't be luring away any prime time coaches to come to this öööö hole environment with minimal athletic support and staff restrictions given the restrictive nature with which the school allows GT athletic programs to operate. Firing PJ is only going to deepen the doo doo we are in. Fix the mindset of the program and the commitment the school gives to athletics. Open up the budget to include for more recruiting evaluators, staff, facilities, etc. Fix the financial issues that plague the GTAA, and then and only then does it make sense to fire a coach for not performing.

You may not like it but the bottom line is if we don't address the macro problems our program has, addressing the micro problem of our coaching is obsolete.
As Effin' said, epic.

Kim King passing away also left a big hole in our leadership that hasn't been filled. Taz passing didn't help either.

Alabama and Clemson have a huge thing in common; everyone, from the President, down to the students with alumni, boosters and administration in between are on the same page to do what it takes that will build a perennially championship program. Other schools have the same commitment, but they don't do it as well as those two. GT is a long, long way from that commitment.

Until Todd gets the opportunity to make his mark on the program, the best thing that can happen would be for the damn yammerheads to STFU.

I haven't had a chance to read all the posts, but to those of you bitching about PJ blaming everyone, hear this: Like him or not, he is calling out the truth. Whether he is doing it for his own ego or not, he is calling out the truth. He is calling out the truth. Thank goodness it is being made public knowledge. Lets get on the administration's ass for not giving him the things he needs to win. Maybe that will help.

But how do we do that? I've been thinking about this for weeks. How do we pressure the Hill and the AA to make the necessary changes? And how do we fund it? If we start talking about this, we might be one step closer to start fixing us.

If we would do all of those things for a new coach, why wouldn't we do them for the existing coach?

Budget first and foremost. Until we make some money none of that would happen.

The pretense of the whole thing was if CPJ left today, where would we be? Let's look at the long haul of CPJ's GT tenure. What has he been able to muster? We have added a new major and we have begun to re-expand our selection criteria for football players thanks to his impressive graduation rate. D-Rad also build him an indoor practice facility, as requested. Like I posted in my response above, what is CPJ's long-term plan for GT? What is he building? How is he working with the Hill to generate more revenue and with the fan base to generate excitement?

Maybe it isn't possible and we're at where we're at. Who knows?

I don't really see the direction CPJ is taking the football team. He's been given a lot so far, but he isn't really moving the program in any one direction. It is basically the same as CCG with some higher highs and some lower lows. What kind of booster is gonna put the down payment down for a $200 stadium project for a coach that isn't really going anywhere?

The reality is that @Diseqc feels just like you do here. But he's doing some sort of performance art, season-long troll posing as a hater. Either that or he's a baby like you said.

He's really good at what he does, I can tell you that. He's so committed he's going to give me a free bottle of whiskey to prove it.

You are full fledged ööööing moron with no perspective of the situation we are currently in. You look at the Coach as the end all be all of why we can't beat two top 20 teams. So lets go fire the coach and hire someone else, right? That will fix everything will it? Because if you think it will, you are an imbecile who just needs to take his full time seat at the baby table and you can big cry your stupid little ass until you get what you want. What YOU want will put us one step closer to irrelevance and obscurity. Our program is a hairs width away from being a perennial doormat and you're so ööööing stupid to understand that you think changing coaches is the answer.

Now am I perfectly happy with Paul Johnson as our coach? No. I think his recruiting has sucked donkey balls and some of his position coaches most notably his fat bag for a OLine coach are damn horrific. Do I think he is the best we can hope for given our current set up? You are damn right I do and if you don't understand that you 1.) lack understanding of our history 2.) lack understanding of our financial situation, 3.) lack understanding of the commitment by our school and athletic association.

The leadership in the GTAA since Homer Rice left has been in absolute shambles. Dave Braine wasn't half bad at raising money, but he was ööööing horrible in managing money hence the Gailey and Hewitt buyouts which have practically crippled us. Then we hire DRad and he brought some excitement and enthusiasm, but he got out the door to Clemson as soon as he realized the horrible financial situation we were in would take years to fix. Then we get good ole MBob which polarized the few big donors we had and furthermore polarized the majority of donating alumni and fans.

GT has had one foot in the door and one foot out the door on their commitment to generating top athletic programs for years. For a school that is committed to excellence in everything it does, it blows my mind why the attitude that excellent academics and excellent athletics are for the most part mutually exclusive. O'Leary worked hard in forcing that issue. When he left, we brought in Chan, accepted the NCAA fates of core curriculum requirements, and the Hill pushed for less tolerance in accepting athletes. This stagnated with an inability to break the 7 win barrier. Paul Johnson was promised changes by the Hill in order to run what he deemed to be a successful operation. Those changes have not matriculated. Paul Johnson was hired because the school didn't want to emphasize athletics anymore. They just wanted a coach and a system that could even the playing field. That's basically what PJ has done. In the meantime for marginal season he has had, he has given us two 10+ win seasons, and one 9 win season. Better than all of his predecessors. He took us to a BCS bowl and won.

Until you recognize the extremely fragile nature that is Georgia Tech athletics, be careful what you wish for. We won't be luring away any prime time coaches to come to this öööö hole environment with minimal athletic support and staff restrictions given the restrictive nature with which the school allows GT athletic programs to operate. Firing PJ is only going to deepen the doo doo we are in. Fix the mindset of the program and the commitment the school gives to athletics. Open up the budget to include for more recruiting evaluators, staff, facilities, etc. Fix the financial issues that plague the GTAA, and then and only then does it make sense to fire a coach for not performing.

You may not like it but the bottom line is if we don't address the macro problems our program has, addressing the micro problem of our coaching is obsolete.

I believe that this pretty much says it all, kudos ... !

Well, had I known Cartman had already explained it, I wouldn't have wasted my time posting. Well said BOR. :bigthumbup:

But how do we do that? I've been thinking about this for weeks. How do we pressure the Hill and the AA to make the necessary changes? And how do we fund it? If we start talking about this, we might be one step closer to start fixing us.
This deserves a thread.

Budget first and foremost. Until we make some money none of that would happen.

The pretense of the whole thing was if CPJ left today, where would we be? Let's look at the long haul of CPJ's GT tenure. What has he been able to muster? We have added a new major and we have begun to re-expand our selection criteria for football players thanks to his impressive graduation rate. D-Rad also build him an indoor practice facility, as requested. Like I posted in my response above, what is CPJ's long-term plan for GT? What is he building? How is he working with the Hill to generate more revenue and with the fan base to generate excitement?

Maybe it isn't possible and we're at where we're at. Who knows?

I don't really see the direction CPJ is taking the football team. He's been given a lot so far, but he isn't really moving the program in any one direction. It is basically the same as CCG with some higher highs and some lower lows. What kind of booster is gonna put the down payment down for a $200 stadium project for a coach that isn't really going anywhere?

What major did we add?

We wouldn't be in this shape if MBOB had bothered to do any fundraising at all. DRAD was a master at it. Hopefully Stansbury makes fundraising top priority.

HTS and CM have been around for years.

Not sure about LMC, never heard of it, sounds like he HTC version of an English degree.

Forgot about Music Technology.

The Sports, Technology and Society thing is a minor and is essentially useless for recruiting/SAs.

Outstanding post and perfectly reflects my thoughts on the program.

Back