Conference Expansion is Back

That's like saying "It's only a game, dog." Besides, from a collegiate sports perspective, the grass sure isn't greener on this side. Additionally, not having enough supporters throughout the state of Georgia - read sports fans - hurts the Institute in ways off of the field of competition. It allows the BOR and politicians to öööö on GT and get away with it since they (rightly) think that almost no once cares. Is it a good idea that educational support is tied to athletic competition? No, but it is the world that we live in.

I believe that staying in the SEC would have been a good thing for GT sports and GT in general. If GT was going to succumb to the seedier side of the $EC after leaving, it would have happened regardless. Think about it; as popular as GT football was, there had to be people who would have done - if that was they way the AA wanted to go - $EC-type things to keep GT relevant in the aftermath of exiting the SEC. Since GT remains what it is, an institute that strives for excellence in all things while upholding the best practices, remaining in the SEC would have helped GT sports. The Institute would be an even better place academically & have better sports programs and most importantly; nobody's degree would have taken a hit.

As to the $EC rubbing off on the Institute's reputation, who here honestly thinks that GT should exit the ACC due to F$U's, UNCheat's & Louisville's shenanigans? Or that Duh U's or Clempson's bag men soil the reputation here? If other schools' behavior really had that much impact on the Institute, getting out of intercollegiate sport would be the only alternative.

Don't misunderstand, I am not saying that GT would be the STEM football factory of the SEC had Dodd stayed. GT would still be what it is - a difficult place for a SA to remain eligible. Since we fans spill so many electrons over what letters are on the upper corner of the uniforms and how that effects GT sports, I would think that we would mostly agree that had GT stayed in the SEC things would be better.

This ignores the reality at the time we left the SEC. We did have tremendous support in the state and regularly filled a 60k+ stadium. WE were the premier program and WE decided that we didn't want to play at Clemson or MS or MS State and could make them come to us. WE were major rivals of TN, AL and AU, all of whom were more highly regarded than ugag. From Dodd's perspective it was reasonable to think we could be the ND of the South. If you're going to blame him for something it's not having the foresight to see the NFL and MLB coming to Atlanta and what that would mean to the sports dollars. Don't forget that after we left we still played all of our big rivals every year and added teams like ND to the schedule. Where we screwed up was not realizing the world of sports was about to change.

Many seem to forget when Dodd was selling out GF that those were not all GT alum. Thousands upon thousands were sidewalk fans that had no loyalty to a school beyond wanting to see good football.

Coach Dodd took them for granted. Was anyone here sitting at Grant field that day ugag & Bobby Etter screwed up a field goal attempt vs Florida; gathered it in and went in for a TD? The North stands erupted. Sidewalk fans listening on the radio. I remember asking my dad what that was all about as nothing was going on at GF with GT playing UT and blowing a lead with conservative play, the first of 3 loses in a row IIRC. First year as independent.

Point being, at that almost exact moment, a lot of sidewalk fans could see what was starting to happen. And it was because Harrison / Dodd got us out of the SEC. We soon got embarrassed at Vandy & lost to a lousy aTm team at GF the next season. Within a few short years, GT tickets were plentiful despite Dodd saying we would always sell out.

And those sidewalk fans started buying tickets elsewhere, and their children are still buying them there today.

Nothing we can do about that now, BUT adding another ACC game will not help GT.

We already play the best in the ACC. We will play n.d. somewhat often, I hope we can play FSU more, but adding wake, ncsu will not help us.

If we can not play FSU more then we need to add a big name EVERY year to OOC schedule. No more 2 cupcakes per year. That hurts us.

Going to 9 ACC games will be bad for GT unless it is FSU

Tough decision. We are the toughest school in Div 1 football when looking across the board for options, etc. I'd like to play some regional opponents more often but realistically we have no business entertaining what would be the most difficult schedule in the nation.

We added ND last year and got drilled. We add UT next year. If we get drilled again, let the hand wringing begin. Everyone wants a tough schedule until you lose. Remember, we lost at Kansas a few years back.

We added ND last year and got drilled. We add UT next year. If we get drilled again, let the hand wringing begin. Everyone wants a tough schedule until you lose. Remember, we lost at Kansas a few years back.

I wouldn't call a missed OPI call, bad holding call on JT5 TD run, losing Searcy in 1Q, and then making an effort to get within an onside kick of sending to OT getting "drilled". Yes, I know, no such thing as moral victories but no shame in taking an inexperienced squad into one of the most stories programs' house AND facing bad refs and losing by 8.

This ignores the reality at the time we left the SEC. We did have tremendous support in the state and regularly filled a 60k+ stadium. WE were the premier program and WE decided that we didn't want to play at Clemson or MS or MS State and could make them come to us. WE were major rivals of TN, AL and AU, all of whom were more highly regarded than ugag. From Dodd's perspective it was reasonable to think we could be the ND of the South. If you're going to blame him for something it's not having the foresight to see the NFL and MLB coming to Atlanta and what that would mean to the sports dollars. Don't forget that after we left we still played all of our big rivals every year and added teams like ND to the schedule. Where we screwed up was not realizing the world of sports was about to change.

Great point. Nobody could anticipate Atlanta's and college athletic's changing landscape. I don't second guess Dodd one bit. He was a man of integrity, ingenuity and embodied what we want The Tech Man to be. He made a tough, principled choice he thought was best. This debate will never end...which is a good thing.

On a side note, Dad played for him and to this day has not one bad word to say. I'm to young to have known him personally, but I met Dodd several times.

Back