Conference Expansion is Back

Does it or does it not benefit the SEC to have both major schools in a state under their umbrella? If not, would Auburn and Miss St join the ACC? If so, would FSU, GT, and Clemson join the SEC?

Auburn is interesting. They like football, but want to be seen as an academic school. It all depends upon the academic vs athletic forces within the university. Look what happened at FSU, the academic won out. The ACC offers a lot of support and prestige on the academic side and a strong president may consider it.

Auburn is interesting. They like football, but want to be seen as an academic school. It all depends upon the academic vs athletic forces within the university. Look what happened at FSU, the academic won out. The ACC offers a lot of support and prestige on the academic side and a strong president may consider it.

That's a good one. My observations on Auburn is that they will scrape the bottom of the barrel to get players - kind of like Louisville does in the ACC. Also, there are more stoners that go to Auburn than to any other school in the southeast. If you ask a glassy eyed stoner at a newgrass festival about himself he will say he is an Auburn student 80% of the time.

Dodd did the right thing by leaving after both the Chick Granning incident as well as Bryant leading the charge against player integration. Disappointing that you're incorrectly calling him out.

You wanna blame someone for Tech leaving the $EC? Blame Paul Bryant.
I believe that Dodd was quoted saying that pulling Tech out of the SEC was his greatest regret in his career or something to that effect

That's a good one. My observations on Auburn is that they will scrape the bottom of the barrel to get players - kind of like Louisville does in the ACC. Also, there are more stoners that go to Auburn than to any other school in the southeast. If you ask a glassy eyed stoner at a newgrass festival about himself he will say he is an Auburn student 80% of the time.
Yet if you ask the decision makers on the academic side, they don't want to be seen as that and a move to the ACC could help facilitate that. Just thinking outside of the box. Money says it can't happen anyways. Auburn is pretty much Clemson, just west of Atlanta.

Doesn't mean it was a mistake.
But it was a mistake. You don't pitch a damn fit and take your ball and go home because you don't get your way. We could have stayed in the SEC and he could have continued to work for change in the conference. He didn't. We suffered because of it.

But it was a mistake. You don't pitch a damn fit and take your ball and go home because you don't get your way. We could have stayed in the SEC and he could have continued to work for change in the conference. He didn't. We suffered because of it.

It's not about "getting your way", it's about doing the right thing. We did.

He made a judgment call that getting out was better than staying in. Given his record and credentials, I support his discretion at that time. If you don't, that's your call. But you have no guarantee things would be different. @GT1992 and @gtbuzz2011 said it best in some previous posts on this thread.

It's not about "getting your way", it's about doing the right thing. We did.

He made a judgment call that getting out was better than staying in. Given his record and credentials, I support his discretion at that time. If you don't, that's your call. But you have no guarantee things would be different. @GT1992 and @gtbuzz2011 said it best in some previous posts on this thread.

Doing the right thing would have been fighting for change. We just sulked and went back to Atlanta with our tails between our legs. Dodd changed nothing other than nearly killing off our football program

Doing the right thing would have been fighting for change. We just sulked and went back to Atlanta with our tails between our legs. Dodd changed nothing other than nearly killing off our football program

If you say so. If you'd rather be bogged down in the $EC's mire of Fulmer Cups and bagmen, then that's your perogative. I want no part of it and I think most of our fanbase would say the same. You can discuss the hypotheticals of what the $EC might look like had we stayed in, but you can't ignore the reality of what the $EC is today. That is my point.

If you say so. If you'd rather be bogged down in the $EC's mire of Fulmer Cups and bagmen, then that's your perogative. I want no part of it and I think most of our fanbase would say the same. You can discuss the hypotheticals of what the $EC might look like had we stayed in, but you can't ignore the reality of what the $EC is today. That is my point.

Yea, we would have suffered so much with better facilities and an athletic department that wasn't always one step away from being broke. It would be horrible to have not experienced the rise of UGAg as we became a homeless whipping boy. It would have been horrible to still have our rivalries with Tennessee, Alabama, and Auburn occurring. After all, we are Georgia Tech. We can always just hang our hat on being academically superior.

Yea, we would have suffered so much with better facilities and an athletic department that wasn't always one step away from being broke. It would be horrible to have not experienced the rise of UGAg as we became a homeless whipping boy. It would have been horrible to still have our rivalries with Tennessee, Alabama, and Auburn occurring. After all, we are Georgia Tech. We can always just hang our hat on being academically superior.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Grass isn't always greener on the other side, homes.

App State says "hold your horses, brah"

You do realize that most athletic departments don't make öööö after supporting the non-revenue sports?

So basically, every single SEC school other than Mississippi State generated more revenue than us. Most of them a hell of a lot more.

Actually, back in the early 60's we envisioned ourselves as the ND of the south. This was before integration, the Braves, Falcons, Hawks, TV, and Georgia being dominant in the state. We were the only game in town. Looking back is easy from today's perspective.

I totally agree, SEC superiority is a SECSPN myth.

Grass isn't always greener on the other side, homes.

That's like saying "It's only a game, dog." Besides, from a collegiate sports perspective, the grass sure isn't greener on this side. Additionally, not having enough supporters throughout the state of Georgia - read sports fans - hurts the Institute in ways off of the field of competition. It allows the BOR and politicians to öööö on GT and get away with it since they (rightly) think that almost no once cares. Is it a good idea that educational support is tied to athletic competition? No, but it is the world that we live in.

I believe that staying in the SEC would have been a good thing for GT sports and GT in general. If GT was going to succumb to the seedier side of the $EC after leaving, it would have happened regardless. Think about it; as popular as GT football was, there had to be people who would have done - if that was they way the AA wanted to go - $EC-type things to keep GT relevant in the aftermath of exiting the SEC. Since GT remains what it is, an institute that strives for excellence in all things while upholding the best practices, remaining in the SEC would have helped GT sports. The Institute would be an even better place academically & have better sports programs and most importantly; nobody's degree would have taken a hit.

As to the $EC rubbing off on the Institute's reputation, who here honestly thinks that GT should exit the ACC due to F$U's, UNCheat's & Louisville's shenanigans? Or that Duh U's or Clempson's bag men soil the reputation here? If other schools' behavior really had that much impact on the Institute, getting out of intercollegiate sport would be the only alternative.

Don't misunderstand, I am not saying that GT would be the STEM football factory of the SEC had Dodd stayed. GT would still be what it is - a difficult place for a SA to remain eligible. Since we fans spill so many electrons over what letters are on the upper corner of the uniforms and how that effects GT sports, I would think that we would mostly agree that had GT stayed in the SEC things would be better.

Back