Conference Expansion is Back

Agree. But I would really like for the ACC to pick up two more teams.

UConn, which would lock up the Boston marketing area and would make us the old Big East in basketball.

Cincinnati, which would lock up the Cleveland market.

Both schools are very good in academics which fits our conference, our time zones and have other sport programs that would rise the bar for our overall conference.

Just a thought.
No goddamned way do I want UCONN or Cincinnati.

WHY ? Please explain.
UCONN is a high school football team. We already have Wake filling that role. Besides, we already have a powerful enough presence in the northeast with BC, Pitt, Syracuse, and Notre Dame.

Cincinnati? Are you ööööing kidding?

UCONN is a high school football team. We already have Wake filling that role. Besides, we already have a powerful enough presence in the northeast with BC, Pitt, Syracuse, and Notre Dame.

Cincinnati? Are you ööööing kidding?

Marketing and academic my man. Don't Wake beat us in the ACC championship awhile back.

I know UConn is not good at football but make-up in other sports.

Cincinnati has both football and basketball.

I wouldn't slam those schools. You talk about high school? How many people think we run a high school offense, which makes me mad every time I hear that crap.

At least if we played them both in football, we should win. I'm sure I'll get a hands down and/or a big cry rating from this. lol

Do you mind explaining? I've never understood why academics would matter with athletic conference affiliation. Would have thought it would be about viewership.
The ACC is more than a sports conference. Through the IAC, the ACC schools have joint research funds, research collaboration, visiting professor programs, PhD student exchange programs, undergraduate scholarships and competitions. Presidents want universities to join that add to the IAC as much as they take. Schools like Clemson and FSU have been primarily takers, and Louisville has been essentially a charity case (to the extent that GT sends administrators to UL to try to right the ship - it's a big reason they just fired their president).

Each conference is different, though. The Big XII is a pure athletic conference, Big 10 is similar to ACC, SEC falls in the middle.

If Cincy and UConn are the best we can do then that is horrible. The bottom line is at some point ND is going to have to be a full member. The ACC really needs to just fill one slot at this point and wait to see the other conferences fill up forcing ND to become a full time player or risk losing out of the playoff picture.

Marketing and academic my man. Don't Wake beat us in the ACC championship awhile back.

I know UConn is not good at football but make-up in other sports.

Cincinnati has both football and basketball.

I wouldn't slam those schools. You talk about high school? How many people think we run a high school offense, which makes me mad every time I hear that crap.

At least if we played them both in football, we should win. I'm sure I'll get a hands down and/or a big cry rating from this. lol

A little early to be drinking, isn't it?

If Cincy and UConn are the best we can do then that is horrible. The bottom line is at some point ND is going to have to be a full member. The ACC really needs to just fill one slot at this point and wait to see the other conferences fill up forcing ND to become a full time player or risk losing out of the playoff picture.

ND's contract ends in 2025. Should we wait that long?

If not Cincy and/or UConn, what about one of the Florida schools?

If we are looking at this just for football, we will never be a SEC. I know football pays most of the bills but everyone considers us a basketball conference and I don't see that changing.

I respect yours and the opinion of others here, but is this what we should do?

Don't expand - first and foremost...unless another current P5 school is in the mix.

1. Politic our way into getting the NCAA to do away with divisions as requirement rule and allowing conferences to choose the method they deem best to compete for their own conference title.
  2. Institute a 3-5 scheduling model (3 guaranteed games and other 5 rotate)
  3. Use CFP ranking to allow top 2 teams from conference to play for all the marbles in Charlotte.
This protects regional or traditional rivalries and allows us, as a 14-member conference, to play each other more often. You're guaranteed to play one another twice every 4 years, instead of waiting 6 years (or whatever it is now). Plus, you'll have the best teams (hopefully) playing for the 'ship.

Take something like this...

Permanent rivals are: Clemson, Duke, and FSU.

In '18, we play: the North Carolina and Virginia teams (UNC, Wake, NC State, UVA, VT).
In '19, we play: the Old Big East teams (Pitt, SU, BC, Miami, and Louisville).
In '20, we play NC and VA teams but switch home/away.
In '21, we play Old Big East but switch home/away.

Last edited:
Don't expand - first and foremost...unless another current P5 school is in the mix.
  1. Politic our way into getting the NCAA to do away with divisions as requirement rule and allowing conferences to choose the method they deem best to compete for their own conference title.
  2. Institute a 3-5 scheduling model (3 guaranteed games and other 5 rotate)
  3. Use CFP ranking to allow top 2 teams from conference to play for all the marbles in Charlotte.

I like this. The only risk is that you don't have a "true champion" if three teams are close in the rankings.

Another way to accomplish the above is to stay in divisions but change the divisions every 2 years (or 4 years). You could create blocks that move together to hold rivalries in place.

I like this. The only risk is that you don't have a "true champion" if three teams are close in the rankings.

Another way to accomplish the above is to stay in divisions but change the divisions every 2 years (or 4 years). You could create blocks that move together to hold rivalries in place.
Pods! Pods! Pods! Pods!

Just randomize it. Hold a drawing after the championship game each year to assign teams to the next year's division. Does it matter to you that much who is in your division? Think how much new stuff we would have to bitch about.

If we are looking at this just for football, we will never be a SEC. I know football pays most of the bills but everyone considers us a basketball conference and I don't see that changing.

Don't you think NBC and ND would figure something out? Another Florida school makes zero sense. It is best to just sit tight and not add crap like the Big XII is doing. Their television partners are already complaining about the proposed additions. We are in good shape with our current contract. No reason to mess that up.

Dump ND for Cincy.

Good call.

Back