Couple of observations

This was easily the worst officiated game I've seen in several years. Just a steadily ööööty performance by that ACC crew overall.

Two push offs by ND which lead to scores (14 for them). One of them was on 3rd & 20 after our D was punishing their ass!!! One horrible holding call against us (-7). Giving a team 3 scores is too much to overcome. Our defense played well enough to win. Still pissed about the refs. Good God, they were something else.

Oh, and if you really want to get mad about it...think about the "Big Stage" we were on against them in 2006 when they got the helmet-to-helmet call to win the game. F-ing ridiculous!

I agree wigh most of the level headed stuff already posted, so I won't repeat it. However, in the spirit of bitching, why were the late hits on jt not called? I saw at least 2 uncalled.

That one that they did call should have resulted in an ejection. That was as egregious as anything I've seen. Seriously dangerous too.

By the way, Brian kelly is an ass.

The
I don't think Johnson/Thomas figured out how to attack the ND defense until the very end of the game. I think Johnson gets some preconceived notion in his head about what play(s) will work and then proceeds to run those play(s) come hell or high water. He usually burns the first quarter probing and then turns it loose the rest of the game but sometimes he just has trouble moving on from what his original game plan was even in the face of repeated failure.

It happens and overall he is right a lot more than he is wrong. I hope even an old goat like him (I'm one too), can learn a new trick every now and then. Hopefully he will use this as a lesson in how to be more flexible in the face of adversity.

Go Jackets!

I agree. I think CPJ keeps going to what he thinks should happen based on alignment. I think he sees the play as called, and how it should work if the right block is made. Where I thinks he gets stuck is when a defense is regularly beating those blocks. Yes the D is lined up how you want, yes you are a block away from a big play, no you can't get that block because the defender is beating the block. Now you are 3rd and 8 because that LB beat the same play twice.

The

I agree. I think CPJ keeps going to what he thinks should happen based on alignment. I think he sees the play as called, and how it should work if the right block is made. Where I thinks he gets stuck is when a defense is regularly beating those blocks. Yes the D is lined up how you want, yes you are a block away from a big play, no you can't get that block because the defender is beating the block. Now you are 3rd and 8 because that LB beat the same play twice.

It is what it is.

Our seats were low on the field in the corner so I could't really tell what, exactly, ND was doing to bottle us up. I do know it was frustrating. We make those 2 FG's and it is 13 all at the half. Different ballgame, maybe.

I thought the defense played admirably. Didn't get to the QB a whole lot, but covered pretty well and defended the run decently. WR's made a couple of plays in man coverage.

We lost to a top 10 team on the road. The sky is not falling.

I would have called the plays differently than CPJ did in the 2nd half. I would have run one drive with Rocket, Rocket, Rocket, rocket action pass. I would have tried an entire run-and-shoot drive sometime before the 4th quarter.

But I freely admit I'm a dumbass and probably don't know öööö about what was actually going on out there.

Agreed ND was the better team but if these calls had not gone against us we could have stole one from a superior opponent on the road...just saying.

Yeah, this. ND was the better team and deserved the win, but without those jacked up calls we've actually probably got a good chance at the win.

They keyed in on rocket toss after Snoddy's big gain. Didn't get much after that.

CPJ did a lot of what he should have done: passed the ball. When we have silly amounts of rushing yards like the games against Kansas or Syracuse, the other team didn't trust their DB's enough to play man all game. Better defenses now almost uniformly copy Bud Foster's plan: put 9 in the box and force us to pass.

9 in the box doesn't mean the rushing offense is dead. We should still get decent yardage though probably not 8+ yards per rush like we can get. But a QB with time and receiver with man coverage should very likely get a completion. ESPECIALLY on 1st and 2nd downs, when the defense will be fooled by playaction and so JT will have time, we needed to complete those passed. On 3rd and long, they'll either bring the house or play more coverage, so completing those passes is not as easy.

I won't put the incompletions all on losing Waller and Smelter. JT seemed too tense in the first three quarters. He had that one overthrow to an AB which would have been a big gain and maybe a TD. He settled down when the game was essentially out of reach and completed a lot of passes. I don't think the coverage or pass rush became that much worse.

IMO, the game was lost in the trenches which I'm sure is pretty obvious. ND had beasts on both sides of the ball. Problem on OL side was they go no push at all and was unable for the most part get to the second level. ND while the first two teams they played were bad, I think is a pretty good team, I don't see them in PO picture unless espn props them. I still think we have a great shot at ACC as I have tried to watch other teams and I'm just not that impressed. I still don't believe in playing the first two games against patsys but guess there are scheduling issues that go with it. There's about 30 teams in the FBS that need to drop to FCS IMO.

The refs completely took us out of the game. I was actually surprised we were even in a position to onside kick at the end.

Not saying we deserved the win by any means. I'm just saying we had no business being down 30-7.

Use Obama voice here..."Let me be perfectly clear. The officiating was not uhhhhhhhhh, good."

There are some great points made in this thread. I think we have got just about every one of them covered. Unfortunately, at the end of the day Saturday we got our a$$ handed to us by a pretty good Notre Dame team.

I don't personally think we should make wholesale changes for this weeks game with Duke. I say we go out and go back to doing what we do best is playing Triple Option football. JT had a bad outing and we did A LOT of things wrong last Saturday. Let's go to Duke, play GT football, get a win and get the hell out of Durham and start getting ready for UNC.

Win out and everything takes care of itself. But I will say, we will see more good defenses this year.......i.e. VT, Miami (athletic), Clemson, Ugag...........Play one at a time and move forward. We will not see a bigger stage this year than we saw last Saturday afternoon, unless we make it to the playoff.

I don't personally think we should make wholesale changes for this weeks game with Duke. I say we go out and go back to doing what we do best is playing Triple Option football. JT had a bad outing and we did A LOT of things wrong last Saturday. Let's go to Duke, play GT football, get a win and get the hell out of Durham and start getting ready for UNC.

Agreed. Practice should focus on execution. Pick up your blocks. Keep pitch relationships. Hold on to the ball. Run better routes. Make better reads.

I would expect these things are going to be STRONGLY (and loudly) emphasized by coaches this week.

I don't personally think we should make wholesale changes for this weeks game with Duke. I say we go out and go back to doing what we do best is playing Triple Option football. JT had a bad outing and we did A LOT of things wrong last Saturday.

No need to make huge changes to personnel or approach, IMHO. If the defense can give that same effort (and clean up a few mistakes), we'll be fine on that side. We'll get better on offense - Duke probably won't be as effective as ND was, and hopefully our guys will learn and get better. Just work hard, fix the things that are within our control, and we'll be OK.

JRjr

There are some great points made in this thread. I think we have got just about every one of them covered. Unfortunately, at the end of the day Saturday we got our a$$ handed to us by a pretty good Notre Dame team.

Win out and everything takes care of itself. But I will say, we will see more good defenses this year.......i.e. VT, Miami (athletic), Clemson, Ugag...........Play one at a time and move forward. We will not see a bigger stage this year than we saw last Saturday afternoon, unless we make it to the playoff.
Hell yeah!

Back