Cristobal to Da U

I think it's equivalent to the difference between assault and battery. You stamped the ground really close to his toes.

And PS, I'm not even trying to say you should make autism jokes (I don't). I am definitely saying you should let abstracted objections of 'being offended' stop you.
Anyways…..I think my idea is a good one and I have no idea why Tech isn’t doing this. It’s a perfect way to connect the AA to real students and bring students that probably don’t pay much attention into the fold for sports while providing a tangible benefit for football. I know that students have been involved in some of the data analytic stuff on the catapult stuff. But a cross discipline effort between engineering disciplines and the business school (statistics and data presentation) as sort of an externship for the AA could be an interesting thing.

It's not OK to mock someone but it is OK to mock a category of someones, because it's individuals not groups that have feelings, interests and rights. So I would join you if savbandjacket were mocking an autistic child of your common acquaintance... but no, the group in the abstract gets no special treatment.

Meanwhile, you continue to mock me while thinking yourself morally superior to me. Hmm.
Just to clarify: you’re taking the position that it’s OK to make fun of autistic children as long as you make fun of the group and not an individual?

Just to clarify: you’re taking the position that it’s OK to make fun of autistic children as long as you make fun of the group and not an individual?
Are you really gonna die on this hill?

So when do actors who've portrayed autistic people in movies get the blackface label?

An abstracted group, yep, not a collection of autistic children walking down the street. (What is the collective noun for a group of autistic children?) Also OK to make fun of happy-clappy evangelicals like myself as a group. And serving-the-poor Mother-Teresa-types. And bald dudes. But not me or Mother Teresa or a bald dude. And of course, there's friendly good-humored jibing, and there's emotive hurtful sneering. Mockery comes in a lot of different flavors, and they're not all created equally.

But my broader point is less about 'what kind of humor is allowable' and more about 'what kind of objections to humor are allowable' – 'being offended' ain't a great objection anymore.

Back