CRY ME A RIVER

toe meets leather

Flats Noob
i have followed gt football since 1957 and i cant believe what i am hearing on this board.i hope i never fall victim of accepting losing. what is acceptable to me is going to a bowl and beating uga, nothing less. it didnt take RICHT , AMATO AND THE FRIDGE 3 years of rebuilding.

Originally posted by toe meets leather:
i have followed gt football since 1957 and i cant believe what i am hearing on this board.i hope i never fall victim of accepting losing. what is acceptable to me is going to a bowl and beating uga, nothing less. it didnt take RICHT , AMATO AND THE FRIDGE 3 years of rebuilding.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You need to be more selective with your subject line choice. I thought I might read something important, like Justin Timberlake news.
drinking.gif

Seems like you are doing a good job of making that river on your own.

Originally posted by toe meets leather:
i have followed gt football since 1957 and i cant believe what i am hearing on this board.i hope i never fall victim of accepting losing.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Winning seasons since 1957 = 26 of 45. Or put another way, 42% of seasons were not winning ones. I'd say you've accepted your share of losing.

Not sure what a fan can do to not "accept" losing anyway. What are you even referring to?

Personally I hope the team wins them all just like you. I realize when we got a tough hill to climb however. Winning or losing doesn't change my heart, I still love the Jackets!

I like your spirit Mr. TML (1957! I was still pooping in my diapers in '57)

I can't much abide losing either. Accepting it is unacceptable. I do remember going to the Notre Dame games when Parseghian would bring his championship caliber teams to Grant Field in the 60s and steamroll us flat. There was a heightened sense of anticipation before those games (doom?) but you never just automatically chalked it up to a loss before the game was even played and you were still mad as hell after the loss.

Losing should NEVER be acceptable although the anticipation of fearing the worse may be a way of coping for some.

maybe with phillip rivers or david greene last year would have been different?

But it DID take Ross, O'Leary, Stallings, Stoops, and Erickson three years to rebuild their teams.

Richt and Fridge have yet to prove their staying power and Amato has yet to win the ACC. His first year was 8-4 with a fluke win over GT and 58-14 thrashing by FSU - only one more win than Chan.

Then there are the examples like Terry Bowden and Fred Goldsmith who won big their first year then faded away to disgrace subsequently.

[big southern voice] Let's, by God, get a coach in here that will WIN BIG RIGHT NOW or fire him and get someone else who can!!! Geez, it's so simple!!! [/big southern voice]

Yeah, go cry a river.

I submit Richt didn't "rebuild" anything anyway. Bad example. The previous coach's record was pretty danm good and won a bowl game on his way out.

geeteelee, apples and walnuts , oleary bare cupboard, ross bare cupboard, goldsmith we are talking about duke, terry bowden personal problems not winning percentage, amato has kicked bobbys butt 2 or 3 times how many times have we beat bobby bowden.

Was NC St. going to bowl games before Amato? I think that Richt is a good analogy. Amato, Richt, and Fridge have all brought excitement to their respective programs.

I love GT, but I don't feel the excitement. Two years ago we were talking BCS, and today the talk is we better beat Vandy, Puke, and WF.

"I am coming to Georgia Tech because the program is in good shape, and we don't have to rebuild" or something to that effect was CCG's quote when he was hired, and we all felt the same way. The program was on firm footing.

At a million dollars a year, I don't think there are any free passes. We all have expressed what we would like to see, and I wonder what "MGT's" expectations are?

CCG has been heard saying that 7 wins are expected and with a few breaks 9. Let's get ready for some football.

TML, how many times have we kicked Amato's butt?? Gailey's team came damn close to beating FSU last year....

I ain't acceptin' losing and I'll kick yore ass if you think I am, but when Gailey took over we weren't exactly loaded with talent even before how many injuries? I ain't defending him, I'm looking at reality.

A 7-6 record with a loss to georgia is not acceptable. But our best chance for improving that THIS year AND next year is to hang with Gailey and support him. You got any better ideas?

What's CCG have to do with number of players drafted in the past few years?

General Wood,

In all fairness, GT may have been talking BCS a few years ago, but it was never a reality. In addition, quarterback play is what really makes this thing go. I'm not sure the '99 GT team wins a game without Joe Hamilton at QB. That was the worst defense in school history. Where would the 2000 and 2001 squads been without a guy playing as well as Godsey?

Our BCS talk was about two things, Ralph Friedgen and good quarterback play. However, it never became reality.

Originally posted by wggjacket:
nothing, but the supposed full cupboard theory does.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">We've had full cupboards before and most of the time those guys didn't end up in the NFL. The 1990 National Championship team is a good example.

The only players off that team that made it in the NFL were:

Willie Clay
Marco Coleman

Others tried out and didn't cut it including our All-American kicker Scott Sisson.

Yet we won and were 12-0-1. The coaches were Ross, O'Leary and Friedgen.

Back