CRY ME A RIVER

Originally posted by texstinger:
TML what you are really talking about is attitude and expectations. There are too many who fell into the Homer Rice theory of it was as important to be competitve with Weak and the southern conference teams as it was to beat ugag. Of course, on the field nothing is as important as beating ugag. Nothing. When we develop the kind of program that will avenge 51-7, heck I am still wanting revenge for Goof running up the score, then we will have a program that I think people such as yourself want, along with many others like you. It is always amazing that mediocrity is acceptable on the field, and then you ask people what would you do it the college of architecture or IM were run this way? It is not acceptable.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Damn good analogy. GT demands excellence in the classroom, so why not on the field? Doesn't mean we have to have the best players, or the best coach. They just have to uphold the traditions of Ma Tech. I honestly do believe that Gailey understands that now, and is demanding excellence. His only problem is that he trusted Braine to deliver excellence in certain areas. Braine failed Gailey.

I guess I'm still confused. Some people have said they expect a losing record or .500 at best this year but also expect to see improvement in how we play. Their fears are that a new QB and lack of depth will be our downfall. They also believe this year will be the foundation for better things starting next year. Now is that "accepting" less than excellence or accepting losig? To me it's simply understanding that we might have a tough year this year.

Personally I don't know what to expect from this team except more intensity and desire than we saw at the end of the year. I don't know how many games we should win but believe we can win them all.

Nobody wants to lose or thinks it's okay. I'm still at a loss as to what the original post was for.

All we need is ONE more person with vision. I do not think the vast majority of people on this board accept mediocrity in their job or relationships so why would it bee acceptable with something as sacred as GT football. Look at our 2 deep and tell me you do not beelieve in these kids. Yeah injuries, academics will always sway the balance of game outcomes, but we can not let it sway our vision. I beelieve in a miracle. I beelieve we can go where Robert Lee never had the ability to envision us, where a lot of us right now can not, or perhaps do not have the courage of vision, to see us going. In years we all will bee replaced here, as will Chan, Clough, and Braine but I am not going to stop from the beelief that all our new locker rooms, etc. can just bee made average if we envision something better for ourselves and our players. They deserve it and so do we. All we have to do is demand it of ourselves.

Good post, ncjacket. I'm pessimistic on this year but I'm willing to accept that unfotunate circumstances may be responsible and not CG. But there has to be tough play and a good recruiting effort. I need some signs life.

BEEserk, I don't think you're analogy of demanding excellence in the classroom (and tranfering it to the grid iron) are all that apt. If you suddenly ended up admitting a class with 950 SATs they would not perform like the normal Tech classes. You have to have talent before you can even think about challenging it to rise to an exceptional level.

Accepting a 3 or 4 win season this year does not mean that we will again. If a coach cannot be a consistent winner, he cannot be here. Accepting one losing season does not represent acceptance of a losing tradition.

Originally posted by nathogt:

BEEserk, I don't think you're analogy of demanding excellence in the classroom (and tranfering it to the grid iron) are all that apt. If you suddenly ended up admitting a class with 950 SATs they would not perform like the normal Tech classes. You have to have talent before you can even think about challenging it to rise to an exceptional level.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Say what??????

Are you saying that the current players can't be coached and perform better than anyone expects, are you saying they just suck so bad we shouldn't expect great performancesout of them, or are you saying something else???

I am honestly just confused by your remark. I agree that going 13-0 is probably not reality, but why can't I expect every player that steps on the field to go out there with the attitude that they will knock some heads off and do everything they can to get a victory?

I would be happy to show you my transcript. I wasn't the best "talent" at GT in the classroom. However, I refused to fail. I had many great battles with courses like Emag, Signals and Systems, and Semi-conductors. I left it all on the field (classroom) for better and for the worse. Some people can actually rise to the occasion if you demand them of it. The same principles apply at GT for the classroom and the football field.

Back