Dave Braine

refrigeratormover

Dodd-Like
I just read Bradley's article and it is a sad day to think DB thinks he has done a better job than HR.Yes we have been to 6 bowls but not much pride in saying we went to SVC and Seattle. After talking to many Tech fans and alumni it is getting clearer and clearer that this man needs to go. The athletic dept. is in debt. We have a new expansion that we can only hope to fill with everything that is happening. We have 10 kids lost to academics and 5 to 7 in the summer that might not make it through. When DB starts being accountable for his actions I maybe will listen to him.I will say this about Coach New and his responsibilities helping out with academics, I don't think kids today could have taken the punishment I received for missing a class in 86, if he has any say they won't miss another one. Sorry to ramble on but enough is enough. Dave, enjoy your fishing trip and take as much time as you like, TECH- not Virginia tech but GA. TECH will be successful again.
behead.gif

i just read it too. i can't believe he would use homer rice's bowl record to justify his existence.

he laments that he is judged solely on the basis of the football program. someone remind him that our basketball program has not been doing stellar under his watch either.

which program has?

baseball has .. yay!
women's volleyball?
softball?

cummon braine.

what butters the AA's bread? that's what matters the most. that's what you will be judged on.

Amen. Braine needs to go. He's going fishing during one of the most turbulent times in recent memory for Tech athletics. Have fun, but don't come back.

And as you mentioned refrigeratormover, Braine then tries to imply he is doing a better job than Rice. That is ridiculous. Braine should be fired for even comparing himself to Rice.

This is the second time in a week that he has cried publicly to the ajc. How he even has the nerve to compare himself to Homer Rice is a joke. This guy is on such an ego trip. Plus, he hides behind his secretary and other assistants. If he thinks these kind of interviews are going to help him in the Tech community he is sorely mistaken. Sounds like a dead man walking to me.

Interesting article.

Massive amounts of negative e-mail?

And this is mail to a guy who doesn't publish his e-mail address.

Celebrating the high graduation rates in 97-98?

Let's see, oh yes O'Leary was the coach then.

Taking the heat for the football team’s performance?

Seems like most of out posters shouting for heads were targeting Gailey not Braine early on. It was only after the basketball team underperformed we starting seeing criticisms of Braine. The momentum really started to shift with the academic debacle.

I'll credit him with at least one thing. He is waging a PR war to keep his job with two articles out in the past week which paint him as somehow being a victim in this process. Maybe Swofford could use him with handling the expansion issue.

If nothing else it shows just how much the heat has been turned up on him and the real threat that he may lose his job.

i totally agree with you, he can take chan gailey with him. losing to gt 3 times in a row got jim donnan fired, being totally embarrassed destroyed on national tv and looking like william and mary should get chan and dave a pink slip IMO. we need to right this ship before it is at rock bottom.

What really bothers me is him thinking he's why the football team went to the consecutive bowls with its winnning ways, can someone remind him Homer brought George O'Leary back and Dave came after the fact. I don't think he coached a down during that time!

And where is his head, if he think BDS is going to be filled with GT fans - where the heck has he been, we sold 6% fewer season tix this year and they're having to put together mini-packages to sell the product to fill those seats and all the extras. Guess who's going to buy them? How much out of touch can this whole dept. be?? The article says he wants to gain support from the fans, I doubt this will do it.

Braine comparing himself to Rice is absurd... Rice SAVED GT Football.. most dont realize just how close we were to dropping the whole program 20 some-odd years ago... Rice and Curry had different missions than Braine and Gailey have.. Rice and GOL had different missions than Braine and Gailey.. they arent even the same

And I hate to tell him, but the bowl record is not impressive.. I really feel like we have gone to 3 bowls recently, the Gator twice and the Peach... the others dont qualify for me..

His best bet would be to take a hard long look in the mirror, and realize that he needs to get to work and quit complaining, and by the way.. given the state of things (PR, etc.) he should consider cancelling that fishing trip..

I think I will make this one last statement and remain silent on the Braine issue from now on.

It appears, Braine and the committee have made good hires in Gailey, Hewitt, and Joseph. Their decisions on these hires were well within the executive criteria for hiring.

Whether these coaches prove to be as good as their credentials indicate, is a matter to be determined by future events.

Braine and the committee has harmed no person in their initial statement regarding the omission of Mac as the head coach. The first statement made by Braine and the committe, "no member of the present staff will be considered by the committee", was carried out as stated.

One thing is for sure, Braine appears to be in a heap of trouble at this point. Since I have no inside information nor facts regarding the rest of his decisions, I cannot defend them nor accuse him.

It is obvious there were problems with the monitoring and tutoring of the SAs. Whether it is his fault or nay, he is ultimately responsible. So, I guess he will have to determine if he wants to remain and take the heat, or take the money and leave.

drinking.gif

I must say it does my heart good to see a thread like this since I suggested much the same thing expressed here on that other board and got absolutely taken to the woodshed. I am now inclined to believe that the straw that will break the Braine's back will be the acceptance of Gailey of total control of the football program, which it appears is now happening. I think Braine has been itching to claim responsibilty for the football program here (you can see it in his statements) and had that opportunity with his hire of Gailey. Unfortunately things have not worked that way, and Gailey has figured out who is in charge now. I am also inclined to cut the Coach some additional slack for the mess he was hired into. Of course the sooner Braine is gone, the quicker the ship will be righted.

By the way, RefrigeratorMover, did you enter the hot dog eating contest?

I saw a short news clip where the Refrigerator entered a hot dog eating contest and ate 12 hot dogs in 12 minutes. He was beaten by some skinny guy who ate 50 hot dogs.

The clip said the Refrigerator was up to 400lbs now.

grin.gif

John, great post. Could you rally some of the former players and take a stand similar to Adam Meadows at UGAG?

Does anyone have Braine's e-mail address?

Dave Braine will be here as long as his Va.Tech buddy Wayne Clough is here. Two self centered Michael Adams Wannabees. Yea I said it...Michael Adams Wannabees.

Not that I totally disagree, but are we to assume bark madley's column is the gospel quoted truth?

BRaine represents the height of arrogance. He's even growing a beard ala Al Gore to remake himself and to remind himself of the type of crowd that always looks to spin, look down on others and approach everything from a holier-than-thou attitude.

He uses terms like "following George". Uh, excuse me Mr. Braine, I understand Gailey made the offer to keep several of the assistants from the staff which you are only now acknowledging was tough to follow, which would have done wonders to bridge the two staff's on personnel issues, recruiting and inside motivation. No dice. Mr. Braine decided to meddle, and go even further by saddling Chan with O'Brien.

Flunk-gate was simply another in a long line of fiasco's that Clough-Braine are responsible for that hurt our football program.

I have no sympathy for him, no matter how much his PR campaign to present himself as a "victim" might proceed.

His job should be to oversee policies that enable success. As for now, he is an incompetent irritant. It is now getting closer to kickoff, and it is time to close ranks and support Chan Gailey because he is our coach. I wish Braine would have his ass run off like Carol Moore, but for now let's just ignore him lest he continue to whine to his buddy Bradley.

To Ahso and the rest of the Tech FAITHFUL. Hang in there, major rumblings are going on as we speak and certain people will be heard when this is over with and hopefully the right decision by Clough will be made. I would love to see the new expansion opened in the fall by a new AD and that just might happen. Let's remember not to hurt the kids but let's be heard by the power's to be. Ahso, I did not enter the hotdog comp. because of no room at the table by my enemy.
grin.gif

Back