Dave Braine

Is it really possible that we may have more kids not academically qualify...or is this wild guess on your part?

Originally posted by statelinejacket:
Dave Braine will be here as long as his Va.Tech buddy Wayne Clough is here. Two self centered Michael Adams Wannabees. Yea I said it...Michael Adams Wannabees.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You do know that Clough is a Tech alum, right? As in Georgia Tech. He will do whats right for GT.

There are 5-6 more and it's not a guess. Hopefully, say prayers they do what they need to do this summer!! I might add here - I hope they do this for themselves first, their education comes first and then it helps the football team.

Originally posted by jimbobGT:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by statelinejacket:
Dave Braine will be here as long as his Va.Tech buddy Wayne Clough is here. Two self centered Michael Adams Wannabees. Yea I said it...Michael Adams Wannabees.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You do know that Clough is a Tech alum, right? As in Georgia Tech. He will do whats right for GT.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Clough still has a home in Blacksburg, and his Virginia Tech buddy who is rapidy becoming the lighting rod for all our problems and justfiably so has Clough propping him up. Both seem to be doing all they can to keep their names in the news when they should be on campus straighting out the mess that they are a party to instead of taking off fishing and rubbing egos with the other ACC blowhard presidents.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by statelinejacket:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You do know that Clough is a Tech alum, right? As in Georgia Tech. He will do whats right for GT.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">After last season was over the consensus on StingTalk was that Gailey was the primary problem. It would seem now that the current consensus of posters is that Braine is the reason we are in the predicament we are.

I believe that we should ratchet the blame up another level to President Clough as suggested by stateline. Braine was probably implementing the academic policies and procedures that were passed down to him by Clough, but since Clough is his mentor and possibly only supporter these days, he is hesitant to point the finger.

GT alum or not, Clough forever lost my respect and support when he stated at Larry Gellerstedt's funeral words to the effect that LG was the type of GT supporter who never wavered in his support or loyalty as the result of something so insignificant as the loss of a football game to UGA.

Clough was clearly using LG's eulogy as the opportunity to take a shot at those who brought heat on him as a result of the humiliation in Athens. Not only was his comment inappropriate - we all know that there are a few things more important in life than football - but it indicated to me where promoting GT football success is on his list of priorities.

Yeah, Clough's a Tech man, but he primarily wants the falderol over the present state of the football program to disappear so that he can concentrate on furthering his political ambitions and expanding the campus across the expressway. Whether he ends up having to sacrifice his buddy, Braine, to get the heat off remains to be seen. Clough will do what he thinks is right for Clough.

Originally posted by statelinejacket:
Clough still has a home in Blacksburg, and his Virginia Tech buddy who is rapidy becoming the lighting rod for all our problems and justfiably so has Clough propping him up. Both seem to be doing all they can to keep their names in the news when they should be on campus straighting out the mess that they are a party to instead of taking off fishing and rubbing egos with the other ACC blowhard presidents.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">lol, clough probably has a house close to stanford and duke as well. not quite sure how you think clough and adams are alike...adams micromanages their AA and clough is almost completely hands-off. Maybe he gave DB too much control, but he is fixing that. As far as keeping their name in the news, how many times have you seen his name in print or tv? I bet Clough has been in the media less his whole career than Adams OR Dooley have been in the last week! Considering all the work he does for Tech, Atlanta, and the state, he is pretty damn low-key.

Originally posted by GTwig63:
but he primarily wants the falderol over the present state of the football program to disappear so that he can concentrate on furthering his political ambitions and expanding the campus across the expressway.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I think his priorities are just fine. Tech Square IS far more important than any football championship. The potential impact for growth to midtown is absolutely huge. This is a direct investment for the business school. I don't know about his political ambitions, but I'd be proud to serve on some Homeland Security committee if I was asked.

No big-time college president wants sports to be a big priority. While you lost respect for the LG comments, I was happy to know he wasn't going to give in to all the whiners saying we needed to "diversify" our academics. Hell, i don't like the way college football is going. How long before the SEC teams start recruiting players who can't even make 700 on their SATs? Clough did what he thought best for the fball program, unfortunately his ideas flopped. We'll see where we go from here.

Originally posted by GTwig63:

Clough was clearly using LG's eulogy as the opportunity to take a shot at those who brought heat on him as a result of the humiliation in Athens. Not only was his comment inappropriate - we all know that there are a few things more important in life than football - but it indicated to me where promoting GT football success is on his list of priorities.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">This paragraph is so bizarre that I have to ask if it is satire. I hope the answer is yes.

lol .. we blamed gailey .. but gailey was sort of hamstrung by braine .. right now we're blaming braine .. but braine may very well be hamstrung by clough .. we should be blaming clough .. but we might eventually find out that clough had been hamstrung by god.

i got it.

let's all blame god for the mess we're in.

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez

Second that Belly. Do you think maybe he was praising LG as a supporter through thick and thin? You know, steadfast, things like that? As opposed to "I'll give you my support and money as long as you do what I want".

Here is the link with Clough's quote

Clough on LG

"He was never sidetracked by petty things like a Tech loss to UGA in football".

First, its the AJC so who knows whether the quote is accurate.

But, if it is, I take offense and I did when I first read the quote. Petty means trivial in the dictionary I refer to. I don't want Clough giving my pre-game speech. "Men, let's go win one for the Gipper! But, in the grand scheme of things, this will not matter and a football win or defeat is trivial." Not very inspiring.

Of course, in the grand scheme of things, a Tech defeat to UGA in football does not mean a hill of beans.

But, that is not the attitude I take with life. After all, in the grand scheme of things, whether I go to work or do my job is trivial. Whether my lawn is mowed is trivial. Whether I want my corporation to be the best is petty.

What I really worry about is the perception it gives to GT athletes. You should work your butt off in school and then on the practice field. Then your President Clough will declare that the loss was trivial.

Clough was obviously just blowing off steam at some alums that he was angry at. I think he could have picked a better forum than a man's eulogy to take a jab at some alums.

Lionel, understand your concern, but did you let the loss to UGA affect your Roll Call contribution? That sounds like what he meant. Braine is the problem pure and simple and I am encouraged by the post by Big John.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by GTwig63:
but he primarily wants the falderol over the present state of the football program to disappear so that he can concentrate on furthering his political ambitions and expanding the campus across the expressway.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I think his priorities are just fine. Tech Square IS far more important than any football championship. The potential impact for growth to midtown is absolutely huge. This is a direct investment for the business school. I don't know about his political ambitions, but I'd be proud to serve on some Homeland Security committee if I was asked.

No big-time college president wants sports to be a big priority. While you lost respect for the LG comments, I was happy to know he wasn't going to give in to all the whiners saying we needed to "diversify" our academics. Hell, i don't like the way college football is going. How long before the SEC teams start recruiting players who can't even make 700 on their SATs? Clough did what he thought best for the fball program, unfortunately his ideas flopped. We'll see where we go from here.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">With all due respect,.....your attitude towards Tech Football is why were becoming such a laughing stock. You just don't understand how important college football is here in the South. If you don't like the way college football is going...please feel free to jump off the train. I'm horrified at the way our football program is going. I'm pissed off at CG, our AD and our President for "killing" the program that Coach O'Leary had built.

GATA JACKETS!!!!

GTWhig - a good post. I for one was pointed in my criticism of Gailey, but as more time as gone on I'm more and more convinced Clough-Braine are the issue. True, they weren't stalking the sidelines in Athens, so Gailey has that on his back alone, but as an administration it is becoming clear they either cannot or will not - there is no difference between the two - place a premium on the football program. I'll say again, some can mumble about wanting to not-diversify the curriculum and other things but the game has changed and will continue to change. We can either ratchet up our commitment level or turn into an Emory. Whether we like it or not within 8-10 years Div I football will be played in a super league of the top tier teams, those on the fringe - the MTSU's, Lousiana Monroe's, Tulane's will either play Div.III or die.

Braine/Clough have had numerous opportunities to show enthusiasm and commitment, and continue to dodge the issue. Now when they hear from the community Clough hides and Braine, his boy, is playing "victim".

Athens was a disaster. We either get pissed off, learn from it and determine we are going to right it or we are doomed to repeat it. This offseason hasn't convinced me the admin ever got pissed off to begin with.

The best we can do as we get closer to August is support Gailey and the team and at the same time as RefrigeratorMover suggests keep our feelings known and press for change on Braine, and ultimately Clough if he's not gonna lead the train.

Wasp, do you think showing your ass is the corollary of being dissatisfied and determined to change something? You probably do; that doesn't mean Clough and Braine do. Deep-sixing Moore was an effective change, and it was done very graciously, no huffing and puffing and sticking the banty chest out to make sure everyone knew who was "pissed-off."

You say you were short-sighted about Gailey. What's the lesson from that?

Originally posted by Driver8:
With all due respect,.....your attitude towards Tech Football is why were becoming such a laughing stock. You just don't understand how important college football is here in the South..
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">and your type of attitude is what made college football a mess and is making it a lot worse. With the new sliding SAT/GPA scale, the fball recruits might be a lot less qualified than the average student at ALL schools. This is going to create some horrible problems down the road for schools. Look for basket-weaving to actually be a class in the next few years.

If you don't like the way college football is going...please feel free to jump off the train.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You want to tell me who likes the situation of college football today? No, I'm going to be here for Tech and Tech football if we win the national championship or drop to Div III. If you are only going to be around if we win a certain number of games, you jump off.

Pepto Bismol aught to do the trick!

grin.gif

Back