David Sims...

MustangGT

Flats Noob
Quoted from the Macon Telegraph...
But as the team ran, there was one notable exception. Freshman quarterback David Sims did not complete the drill and walked away from it before his teammates had finished.
“I don’t know about David Sims. David Sims can’t finish a drill at the end, so we’ll see,” Johnson said.

Wow...not sure what to make of this. I am sure that he was just frustrated. The practices are a lot harder than what he is used to and he went from being a player who was considered one of the best in the state to one that is not even the best at his position. I am sure that there is a mental transition that has to take place.

But to quit running and walk of the field...If he wants to play football, he needs to get his head straight...especially if he wants to be a QB. The team is not going to respect and follow a player that will not even finish running with them at the end of practice.

I don't know, am I reading too much into this?

Nevertheless, I'd be willing to bet that he gets that running in before taking another snap in a GT uniform.

Read that last night and was confused as well. I'm hoping that there's some explanation to that but it hasn't been covered in depth.

Won't speculate until there's more information.

This does not bode well for a certain player. Public statements of players by name are rare, even for PJ.

BREAKING NEWS: TEENAGE KID DEMONSTRATES QUESTIONABLE ATTITUDE

I'm sure little incidents (maybe not as easily spotted as this one) happen all the time on any team. I trust PJ and the staff to use their many, many years of experience as motivators to deal with this situation. I'm sure they can get the best out of this young man over time. Or worst case scenario, they weed him out if he needs weeding out.

Man it feels good to have faith in the coach.

Last edited:
BREAKING NEWS: TEENAGE KID DEMONSTRATES QUESTIONABLE ATTITUDE

I'm sure little incidents (maybe not as easily spotted as this one) happen all the time on any team. I trust PJ and the staff to use their many, many years of experience as motivators to deal with this situation. I'm sure they can get the best out of this young man over time. Or worst case scenario, they weed him out if he needs weeding out.

Man it feels good to have faith in the coach.

Maybe Sims is just out of shape and couldn't handle the additional sprints. The two-a-days have got to be very tough if a player hasn't been doing jack since Spring practice.

Either way, if it's a conditioning issue then PJ will probably have him running until eternity. He will get in shape...

Maybe Sims is just out of shape and couldn't handle the additional sprints. The two-a-days have got to be very tough if a player hasn't been doing jack since Spring practice.

Either way, if it's a conditioning issue then PJ will probably have him running until eternity. He will get in shape...

Maybe it was just ******* hot!! He could have gotten over heated. Thats nothing to play around with. I wouldn't take this quote out of context. He's a freshman and CPJ is probably just trying to light a fire under his arse. Remember, CPJ is a master motivator.

Maybe it was just ******* hot!! He could have gotten over heated. Thats nothing to play around with. I wouldn't take this quote out of context. He's a freshman and CPJ is probably just trying to light a fire under his arse. Remember, CPJ is a master motivator.

I agree. Probably just not use to this intensive work outs in the heat. As Johnson said, we will see.

is the guy that Johnson said last year should "go ahead and pack his bags" or STTE still on the team?

I have now heard that it was indeed the heat + running. He started feeling nauseous. Can't blame him there...The article didn't mention anything about him being sick, it made it sound like he just walked off the field.

I have now heard that it was indeed the heat + running. He started feeling nauseous. Can't blame him there...The article didn't mention anything about him being sick, it made it sound like he just walked off the field.
Thanks for the up date!!:biggthumpup:

Jamal Evans, and he's not on the team.

thanks for the name, here is the AJC story on his leaving. had "nothing" to do with football according to the article

By MATT WINKELJOHN
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 06/13/08
Jamaal Evans, listed as a starting running back for Georgia Tech after spring practice, has left the team, coach Paul Johnson confirmed.
Johnson did not say why the 5-foot-8, 193-pound Evans, who would have been a junior this season, left.
"Jamaal Evans is not in school," Johnson said. "This doesn't have anything to do with football."
Evans was the Yellow Jackets' fifth-leading rusher last season, with 217 yards and two touchdowns on 32 carries. The Irving, Texas, native also rushed 41 times for 215 yards and two touchdowns as a freshman.
Although leading rusher Tashard Choice is now with the NFL's Dallas Cowboys, Tech returns its No. 2 and No. 3 rushers in running back Jonathan Dwyer (82 rushes, 436 yards) and quarterback Josh Nesbitt (53 rushes, 339 yards). Rashaun Grant, who was Tech's No. 4 rusher, was a senior and is gone.
The departure of Evans, who last season also returned a team-high 25 kickoffs for 519 yards, leaves former wide receivers Greg Smith, a junior, Andrew Smith, a senior, and Jonathan Malone, a junior, on the depth chart at one "A-back" position. That's a slot back spot in Johnson's offense.
Dwyer is listed as the starter at "B back," which typically lines up behind the quarterback.
At the other A-back spot, redshirt freshman Roddy Jones, former tight end Austin Barrick and redshirt freshman Paul Reese are listed on the depth chart.
Tech's incoming freshman class includes at least two running backs who fit the size and speed parameters usually associated with Johnson's A backs.
Embry Peeples (5-10, 170) of Orlando and Marcus Wright (5-7, 170) of San Antonio were both considered among the faster high school backs in their respective states.
Johnson also said that incoming freshman Jon Lockhart of Blountstown, Fla., who was recruited as a defensive back, also may start summer practice at A-back.

...leaves former wide receivers Greg Smith, a junior, Andrew Smith, a senior, and Jonathan Malone, a junior, on the depth chart at one "A-back" position....
At the other A-back spot, redshirt freshman Roddy Jones, former tight end Austin Barrick and redshirt freshman Paul Reese are listed on the depth chart.
Tech's incoming freshman class includes at least two running backs who fit the size and speed parameters usually associated with Johnson's A backs.
Embry Peeples (5-10, 170) of Orlando and Marcus Wright (5-7, 170) of San Antonio were both considered among the faster high school backs in their respective states...

What a difference a year made at A-back.... no depth to amazingly deep.

I was at practice today and David participated as normal. I heard he had heat exhaustion and just felt nauseated and thought he was going to faint. He is in awesome shape physically and looks a lot like Tommy Frazier the old Nebraska QB. I also heard that once he was checked out that PJ made him run early this morning just so he did not get behind his teammates with conditioning drills. There is no attitude problem.

Go Jackets!

I was at practice today and David participated as normal. I heard he had heat exhaustion and just felt nauseated and thought he was going to faint. He is in awesome shape physically and looks a lot like Tommy Frazier the old Nebraska QB. I also heard that once he was checked out that PJ made him run early this morning just so he did not get behind his teammates with conditioning drills. There is no attitude problem.

Go Jackets!

Sounds reasonable. I've had that kind of thing happen and if you push it too far you'll screw yourself physically for the next couple days.

Hell, our first practice of summer camp didn't start until somebody puked...not kidding

I was at practice today and David Sims is one very stout guy. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he struggles through conditioning a little early on.

Back