Dear Al Groh...From Jon Tenuta

scatman22

Flats Noob
Dear Al, one of my core defensive philosophies is to never have LB's wearing hightops covering Division 1 WR's. lose by making mistakes, not because of mismatches.

Sincerely,

Jon Tenuta

Even the great ones like tenuta can't survive this economy it seems...:wink:

Tenuta and NC State gave up 44 to Miami last week.

Lets stop hailing him as the solution to all our problems.

Ted Roof, Jon Tenuta, Dave Wommack, Al Groh. All regarded as bad DCs by Tech fans.

Are we that unlucky, or is it just hard to succeed at Tech?

Three out of four of those guys (exception being Wommack, maybe) have done poorly at at least one other place.

Ted Roof, Jon Tenuta, Dave Wommack, Al Groh. All regarded as bad DCs by Tech fans.

Are we that unlucky, or is it just hard to succeed at Tech?

Three out of four of those guys (exception being Wommack, maybe) have done poorly at at least one other place.

if they were all bad maybe the reason is something else isn't it? I mean were these guys ever successful at any point? If so, what was the difference? More depth in key positions? Recruiting?

I was like 14 when Tenuta was here... But didn't our D's usually get us the W in spite of the offense? He put a lot of guys in the NFL. That's for sure.
IwBWow81JwATCgEIowESnyspAQCBACH5BAQFAAAALAAAAAAIAA8AAAdhgACCAAmCOoM4b4ccg0N8dQAZACgeAFUWIQ0DM3MKCGhQJ5NYKmgIB4MAHF4DgjtlZGolg2RYWGcoqYIXRAGDEiluZagAAxtQBUkZHRAAfnEAPQInL4MGJBEBkoIECg+qgQA7

I was like 14 when Tenuta was here... But didn't our D's usually get us the W in spite of the offense? He put a lot of guys in the NFL. That's for sure.
IwBWow81JwATCgEIowESnyspAQCBACH5BAQFAAAALAAAAAAIAA8AAAdhgACCAAmCOoM4b4ccg0N8dQAZACgeAFUWIQ0DM3MKCGhQJ5NYKmgIB4MAHF4DgjtlZGolg2RYWGcoqYIXRAGDEiluZagAAxtQBUkZHRAAfnEAPQInL4MGJBEBkoIECg+qgQA7

His defense was either good or disastrously bad. We'd get beat on deep passes a lot--which is not surprising when you're blitzing 9 guys. The media way overhyped him. For some reason on every TV game they would show him up in the press box and talk about how great he was.

His defense was either good or disastrously bad. We'd get beat on deep passes a lot--which is not surprising when you're blitzing 9 guys. The media way overhyped him. For some reason on every TV game they would show him up in the press box and talk about how great he was.

Confirmation bias causes people to remember the shut downs and forget the implosions. He could single handedly lose games no matter what the O did or vice versa.

" At least he was exciting. ". Not sure if that was sarcasm, but if not it is an ironic comment. It is never "exciting" to you when it is your team getting lit up.

I agree about the overhype as someone who bought into it at the time. It left me scratching my head to review season stats and realize he was always "middling" in terms of actual results.

We were always in the top quarter of the conference in defense. Tenuta was good. And his defense didn't regularly give up 3rd and long.

Tenuta and NC State gave up 44 to Miami last week.

Lets stop hailing him as the solution to all our problems.

NCState gave up an ACC record in passing yardage...I believe 566 yards. They dropped 3 safeties deep to try to close out the game and still let Dorsett of Miami get behind them for the winning score. Idiots.

My take on Tenuta (not that anyone will care)

When he was here, I used to say that he was a pretty good DC, but he should fire his secondary coach. Yeah, I know.

Against most teams his defense seemed to work pretty well and it WAS exciting. If we played an excptional QB (like Ryan, for example) then he could (and usually did) pick it apart, because Tenuta hated to change. But there aren't that many Ryans out there, especially in the ACC.

My $.02

Dear Al,

Blitz 11 and hope they guy overthrows the ball. And quit combing your hair. I never combed my hair - people thought I was crazy and unstable. And quit looking at the field. I never look at the field. Look across the field at the other coaches and stare real hard. Scares 'em.

JT

P.S. When in doubt... BLITZ!

Dear Al,

Blitz 11 and hope they guy overthrows the ball. And quit combing your hair. I never combed my hair - people thought I was crazy and unstable. And quit looking at the field. I never look at the field. Look across the field at the other coaches and stare real hard. Scares 'em.

JT

You forgot to add about 7000 f-bombs and other creative uses of curse words. That man sure could weave a tapestry of obscenities.

Dear Al,

JT

:rotfl::bowrofl:

But didn't our D's usually get us the W in spite of the offense?
That is what a lot of delusional fans on here would like to you believe. These same fans were calling for his head when he would blitz everyone and then the TE was wide open in the middle of the field for a 60 yd TD.

Points Allowed Per Game, Jon Tenuta
2002: 20.5
2003: 20.5
2004: 18.9
2005: 20.1
2006: 18.4
2007: 20.8

GT Points Per Game Allowed Post-Tenuta
2008: 20.3
2009: 24.8
2010: 25.2
2011: 26.1
2012: 26.8

The way you people remember things is, to put it nicely, interesting. Tenuta was a very good DC for us. If you suggest otherwise you're either wrong or just flat-out lying.

Back