Dear Al Groh...From Jon Tenuta

Somewhere, somehow, there is a beautiful balance between maintaining responsibilities and blitzing the snot out of teams. Groh + some Tenuta could be a good combo. Tenuta + some Groh might be a better one.

We were always in the top quarter of the conference in defense. Tenuta was good. And his defense didn't regularly give up 3rd and long.

Yes it did, giving up 3rd and long has been GT tradition for a long time now.

At least he was exciting.

And this is why he is fondly remember by many. Tenuta's defense always played aggressively, even to its demise in some games. We need a defense with Al Groh's X&O capability and Tenuta's aggressiveness. The current defense lacks attitude. It's not the 3-4 or 4-3, it is the attitude. Hopefully if/when we get a capable defensive line the attitude&aggression will come with it. I'm tired too of watching guys "occupy a space" on the DL.

Yes it did, giving up 3rd and long has been GT tradition for a long time now.

Yes, the aforementioned 60 yard TD to the tight end alone in the middle of the field typically came on 3rd and 7 or longer.

And this is why he is fondly remember by many. Tenuta's defense always played aggressively, even to its demise in some games. We need a defense with Al Groh's X&O capability and Tenuta's aggressiveness. The current defense lacks attitude. It's not the 3-4 or 4-3, it is the attitude. Hopefully if/when we get a capable defensive line the attitude&aggression will come with it. I'm tired too of watching guys "occupy a space" on the DL.
He's remembered fondly because his defenses out-performed our last two DC's by a considerable margin.

but please keep talking about some 60-yard TD by a tight end. Lord knows we haven't seen any long TDs against our defense lately...

He's remembered fondly because his defenses out-performed our last two DC's by a considerable margin.

but please keep talking about some 60-yard TD by a tight end. Lord knows we haven't seen any long TDs against our defense lately...

No they didn't. 51-7 twice and a big loss to Duke are some of the proof. It was feast or famine with Tenuta. I'll hold my comparison to Groh until after Groh's DL's start playing because I'm not sold on him either.

No they didn't. 51-7 twice and a big loss to Duke are some of the proof. It was feast or famine with Tenuta. I'll hold my comparison to Groh until after Groh's DL's start playing because I'm not sold on him either.

It was not feast or famine. The guy had 78 games as DC under Chan Gailey. He averaged right around 20 points per game allowed.

You're intentionally misremembering the facts.

Tenuta was vastly better than Groh in every important defensive category including:

Scoring defense
Total defense
3rd down efficiency
Sacks
TFL
Interceptions

It's not even close.

Ted Roof, Jon Tenuta, Dave Wommack, Al Groh. All regarded as bad DCs by Tech fans.

Are we that unlucky, or is it just hard to succeed at Tech?

Three out of four of those guys (exception being Wommack, maybe) have done poorly at at least one other place.
Last good defense was probably 1990!

You guys are smoking crack if you wouldn't take Tenuta back. Our defenses were regularly in the top 20. Yes, we had some bad losses, but that aggressive style still gave us a chance to win every game. A Johnson/Tenuta combo would've had a really good shot at an undefeated season in 2009.

Tenuta's defense is essentially the only reason we went to a bowl in 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2007. And, why are we bringing up any stats from NC State? He's the freaking linebackers coach. He hasn't called defensive plays since he left Tech.

You guys are smoking crack if you wouldn't take Tenuta back. Our defenses were regularly in the top 20. Yes, we had some bad losses, but that aggressive style still gave us a chance to win every game. A Johnson/Tenuta combo would've had a really good shot at an undefeated season in 2009.

Tenuta's defense is essentially the only reason we went to a bowl in 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2007. And, why are we bringing up any stats from NC State? He's the freaking linebackers coach. He hasn't called defensive plays since he left Tech.

Wasn't he the DC at Notre Dame?

I wouldn't take Jon Tenuta back.

He refused to recruit and was an ass. I wouldn't either, but I would like to see some of his aggressiveness worked into our defense. Things like press coverage, sending 5 or 6 on blitzes, blitzing from the outside, etc.

Wasn't he the DC at Notre Dame?

Says he coached linebackers and was assistant head coach. I took this to mean that somebody else was calling plays, but I could be wrong :-/

Back