DECLINING FOOTBALL ATTENDANCE: INSIDE THE NUMBERS IN THE ACC

For many households, this is what football on TV looked like when Chan Gailey was our coach.

6a00d83452989a69e2013487455fd3970c-800wi

For many households, this is what football looks like with Johnson as our coach.

1946army_ndame_2.png

It’s the younger fans. It’s not only football, but basketball as well, I never see anyone under 50 years old. Even golf, golf courses are closing because no one under 50 plays anymore. What the hell do younger people do for entertainment now?

It’s the younger fans. It’s not only football, but basketball as well, I never see anyone under 50 years old. Even golf, golf courses are closing because no one under 50 plays anymore. What the hell do younger people do for entertainment now?
It is called, your mom

It really is strange how many teens don’t care much about watching sports. Even the ones not smoking weed.
My first video game console was the Odyssey where if you wanted graphics, you taped a plastic, semi transparent, cartoon like drawing to the screen. Every game was a version of "pong" except the shooting game which was just shooting the light out on the screen - the gun had the sensor so you could actually trick shoot at any light and you'd hit the target. That was followed by my Atari 5200 which had incredible graphics for the time, but still horrible. Then came the Nintendo - which didn't really hit until I was out of high school. Even with graphics getting better on computers back in the late 80's, it was really hit and miss on games. I bought a copy of "Monday Night Football" for my P.C. years ago, set it on the hardest setting, and proceeded to beat the game in my first try something like 140-0. First and only time I played the game.
Video games for kids nowadays are incredible. If they want football, they are practically on the field with an X-Box or Playstation or P.C.

Looking at student attendance at football, basketball and baseball at Tech lets you know the future for college athletics is dismal. I know they gripe about early kickoffs. But, they arrive late, don't fill their section, and leave early at football. At the basketball and baseball games I attend, and that is only a couple of each a year, I would estimate about 700 to 800 students were at this year's game with Wake in basketball and then at the baseball game on a lovely Saturday afternoon, maybe 100 students. In my four years at Tech, '73-'77, we were the first class in decades to go four years without a bowl game in football, basketball was really mediocre to bad, and for some reason the baseball team wore batting helmets in the field. With a much smaller student body than today attendance was much greater. The much higher male to female ratio accounts for some of that.

I also attend a lot of East Carolina events and their student numbers are drastically down in all three major sports. I counted less than 100 students in the student section at a recent Memphis-ECU basketball game. They draw very well for baseball and have a nationally ranked team this year, yet student attendance is a fraction of what it was 10 to fifteen years ago.

This decline will only increase. In our area the number of kids attending the public, local high school is down dramatically. They are in charter schools, private schools, home schools, early colleges, magnet programs, etc. In many of those schools athletic programs are smaller or non-existent. The number of teens that see Friday night as the place to socialize at football games, and even at basketball or baseball games, is down. The number of kids in marching band, drill teams, flag corps, etc. is down and you see those numbers declining now in some college bands. The 35,000 size colleges have enough students to still fill football sections with students. But, the percentage of kids who care is down and is likely to continue to decline.

This is why it's very dumb to cite other stadiums'/schools' policies when arguing about bags, concession sales, etc.

CFB attendance is in a tailspin, and when it comes to mid-tier programs like ours only the most innovative are going to thrive.

Looking at student attendance at football, basketball and baseball at Tech lets you know the future for college athletics is dismal. I know they gripe about early kickoffs. But, they arrive late, don't fill their section, and leave early at football. At the basketball and baseball games I attend, and that is only a couple of each a year, I would estimate about 700 to 800 students were at this year's game with Wake in basketball and then at the baseball game on a lovely Saturday afternoon, maybe 100 students. In my four years at Tech, '73-'77, we were the first class in decades to go four years without a bowl game in football, basketball was really mediocre to bad, and for some reason the baseball team wore batting helmets in the field. With a much smaller student body than today attendance was much greater. The much higher male to female ratio accounts for some of that.

I also attend a lot of East Carolina events and their student numbers are drastically down in all three major sports. I counted less than 100 students in the student section at a recent Memphis-ECU basketball game. They draw very well for baseball and have a nationally ranked team this year, yet student attendance is a fraction of what it was 10 to fifteen years ago.

This decline will only increase. In our area the number of kids attending the public, local high school is down dramatically. They are in charter schools, private schools, home schools, early colleges, magnet programs, etc. In many of those schools athletic programs are smaller or non-existent. The number of teens that see Friday night as the place to socialize at football games, and even at basketball or baseball games, is down. The number of kids in marching band, drill teams, flag corps, etc. is down and you see those numbers declining now in some college bands. The 35,000 size colleges have enough students to still fill football sections with students. But, the percentage of kids who care is down and is likely to continue to decline.
Csb. Also TL;dr

I deny we ever played in the Peach Bowl. I also deny being there.
Tickets were limited to 12,500 for students, who camped Sunday night for over nine hours in front of Spectrum Stadium to get them. UCF reported the tickets sold out within that same day. Peach Bowl CEO and President Gary Stokan said he had never seen anything like it.

"That’s a record in the CFP era," he said Monday. "I don’t know that anybody sold out in first days of sales.”

These numbers must be tickets sold or some other bullshit. There’s no way unc or Miami had more asses in seats than we did.

Smoke pot and make snapchats
I’m familiar with pot, but not snapchats. Is that like a Marijuana cookie? I don’t know why you can’t smoke pot and still enjoy sports. In my day, we drank like fish but still made the games, where we drank even more.

I’m familiar with pot, but not snapchats. Is that like a Marijuana cookie? I don’t know why you can’t smoke pot and still enjoy sports. In my day, we drank like fish but still made the games, where we drank even more.

Snapchat is a social media type thing. I'm in my late 20's, don't participate in either. But that's what people my age have been reduced to.

Back