DECLINING FOOTBALL ATTENDANCE: INSIDE THE NUMBERS IN THE ACC

It’s the younger fans. It’s not only football, but basketball as well, I never see anyone under 50 years old. Even golf, golf courses are closing because no one under 50 plays anymore. What the hell do younger people do for entertainment now?

smoke pot and pay video games. It's a generation of loser snowflakes.

You geezers sound older than old. Go play a X-Box and tell me that it isn’t fun. You can’t. Cause it’s fun.

Looking at student attendance at football, basketball and baseball at Tech lets you know the future for college athletics is dismal. I know they gripe about early kickoffs. But, they arrive late, don't fill their section, and leave early at football. At the basketball and baseball games I attend, and that is only a couple of each a year, I would estimate about 700 to 800 students were at this year's game with Wake in basketball and then at the baseball game on a lovely Saturday afternoon, maybe 100 students. In my four years at Tech, '73-'77, we were the first class in decades to go four years without a bowl game in football, basketball was really mediocre to bad, and for some reason the baseball team wore batting helmets in the field. With a much smaller student body than today attendance was much greater. The much higher male to female ratio accounts for some of that.

I also attend a lot of East Carolina events and their student numbers are drastically down in all three major sports. I counted less than 100 students in the student section at a recent Memphis-ECU basketball game. They draw very well for baseball and have a nationally ranked team this year, yet student attendance is a fraction of what it was 10 to fifteen years ago.

This decline will only increase. In our area the number of kids attending the public, local high school is down dramatically. They are in charter schools, private schools, home schools, early colleges, magnet programs, etc. In many of those schools athletic programs are smaller or non-existent. The number of teens that see Friday night as the place to socialize at football games, and even at basketball or baseball games, is down. The number of kids in marching band, drill teams, flag corps, etc. is down and you see those numbers declining now in some college bands. The 35,000 size colleges have enough students to still fill football sections with students. But, the percentage of kids who care is down and is likely to continue to decline.
So, it's a bad thing that students in this country are focusing more on school than they have in the past? Whenever studies are done about why we are underachieving academically, the reasons cited include undue focus on amateur athletics.

It’s the younger fans. It’s not only football, but basketball as well, I never see anyone under 50 years old. Even golf, golf courses are closing because no one under 50 plays anymore. What the hell do younger people do for entertainment now?
I must be missing all these golf courses hurting for people to play them, because 5 hour rounds are all too common in metro Atlanta, the norm is a $55+ weekend round, and membership of lower tier private clubs will run you $300+. If you want to see young people playing golf, go to one of the players club courses on a weekend... it'll be packed with folks in their 20s who would rather pay $30/month and have a 5+ hr round than the alternatives.

You geezers sound older than old. Go play a X-Box and tell me that it isn’t fun. You can’t. Cause it’s fun.
Hand me the controller and I will either find a way to beat you at the game or I will beat you upside your head with the controller.

Seriously, I probably have not touched a video game in more than a decade - other than my 9 year old step-grandson several years ago wanting me to play him in Mario Carts

ITT: Golf playing olds who are afraid to admit that they still have the Atari VCS hooked up to their furniture TV

Looks like Clemson pulls our attendance up more than UGAg

I've always maintained that the "UGA fills up our stadium more than our own fans" is meme thinking.
The students are away for Thanksgiving and school is closed that week.

For many households, this is what football looks like with Johnson as our coach.

1946army_ndame_2.png

#MFGA

I've always maintained that the "UGA fills up our stadium more than our own fans" is meme thinking.
The students are away for Thanksgiving and school is closed that week.

Student attendance is pathetic regardless. I don't think that's a huge factor.

Back