Defensive Coordinator??

JOJATK

Flats Noob
Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
The guy im talking about coached at Clemson and did not coach at UGA..Check it out if you can..If Edwards didnt coach at Uga then he might be the guy...I do know that Jerry Jones gave him a raise after he caught wind Gailey was pursuing him...Did Edwards just take a job in washington this year? the guy im talking about coached at Dallas up until this year...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Edwards went to the 'Skins last year so this is his second year with them but first as DC. He was with the Cowboys before that as a LB coach, he was with UGA as a DL coach for one year and with Duke as a LB coach for one year. He spent a few years at Appalachian State prior to that and was a grad asst under Spurrier at FL after playing under Spurrier at Duke.

Jerry Jones did give him a raise when he heard that not only were we pursuing him but Florida was also pursuing him for their, at the time, open DC job.

Your right!!!!!! I remember now.....Brick had coached at Clemson...I got it confused...

what thrills me the most is the fact that Gailey has so MANY contacts and WILL get a good one...

I agree with JOJATK that Spencer at least should get a long hard look. He was the DC at West Georgia and was the HC at West Georgia. Look at his record there. Pretty impressive. And yes, I know that West Georgia is not the "new" ACC blah, blah, blah, but if young coaches were never given a chance, Stoops wouldn't be at Oklahoma and if coaches from smaller programs were never given a chance Tressel wouldn't be at Ohio State. IOW, no one would ever move up until all the old ones either retire or die.

Hiring a new coach is a crap shoot anyway. There are no gurantees. About the closest thing to it would be Spurrier, Sr (IMHO).

what thrills me the most is the fact that Gailey has so MANY contacts and WILL get a good one...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That's about the way I feel about it as well. CCG & Co.'s network must be very deep. It could be somebody we've never really heard of but Chan is familiar with and has good credentials.

If it were a vote (and it wouldn't be) I'd second or third Spencer's nomination. He's a big boy now and I think he could handle the challenge. He may be a future HC for us.

Dan Reeves could conceivably be available. Think Chan could stand having the old guy around? If they're buddies (I know they have ties but don't know how close they are) something might happen there if DR still wants to coach but doesn't want or can't get another NFL job. (Purely a wild-assed thought. Please no piling on, I'm sensitive
tongue.gif
)

Bottom line though I hope we keep JT.

Originally posted by gnats67:

Dan Reeves could conceivably be available. Think Chan could stand having the old guy around? If they're buddies, I know they have ties but don't know how close they are, something might happen there if DR still wants to coach but doesn't want or can't get another NFL job. (Purely a wild-assed thought. Please no piling on, I'm sensitive
tongue.gif
)

Bottom line though I hope we keep JT.[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Wouldnt the Reeves as our DC be something......Im not for promoting an asst. in the near future though..Gailey can NOT take any chances this early on in his tenure....I believe Spencer (I know several want him because he is a GT grad.) in time will get a crack somewhere..But i think it will not happen for a while...

On the Stoops analogy - nobody really had to take a chance on a young guy. He had consistently one of the best defenses in the nation under Spurrier and could recruit and was from the midwest - local hero comes home. His brother is getting attention, not only for his talent, but for his name alone.

In Spurrier's system - the D coordinator was more of a Co-Head Coach than any other I've seen. Spurrier truly allows his D coordinators to manage the D. Stoops had as much hands on experience as any new head coach with no prior head coaching experience. (If all that jibberish makes any amount of sense.)

On Haley and Spencer - Richt took a ton of his cohorts from FSU - and many promoted assistants do the same. Most assistants to those want to leave - not because they don't love where they are, but because of the lack of job security with the next guy.

We could lose the entire defensive staff - may or may not - we don't want Tenuta to leave for a lot of reasons.

His scheming is one thing - i.e. pre-game schemes - The most irreplacable part of what he brings to the table are minute ti minute adjustments and formation calling during game time.

I would guess Gailey would bring in a great talent at D coordinator - we can only do just as well - I truly belive we won't do better.

Gailey will bring in a quality guy - as good? Can't count on it, but it's possible.

I don't want to find out. We need to find a way to keep him for AT LEAST one more year. We should be in a much better position to handle the transition in one more year - even though, I'm not sure I'll be ok with losing him at any point.

Put this down in your list of things to remember. Spencer will be the next defensive coordinator at Tech.

I have nothing to base this on other than my opinion. I believe Gailey kept Roof and O'Brien as a courtesy. I believe he kept Spencer after his interview with him because Spencer impressed Gailey.

From Spencer's bio, he not only was a good defensive coach, his teams at West Georgia College set many defensive records. He has also improved our play at DT since he has coached the defensive line.

Add his experience from WGC with two years under Tenuta, and he is a "can't miss" to me.

By the way, If I were Gailey, I would hand the offensive reins over to Nix next year. Personally, I think a head coach needs to spend his time on the overall team components.

Instead of concentrating on the offense, he needs to monitor every little detail of the team. This attention to detail will make him a better coach and the team more complete.

Father Time

Just my 2 cents...
Tenuta's strength seems to be 'D' backs...
Our secondary this season is as strong a group as I've seen in a few years around here...
They hit like they mean it and Butler seems to have radar for aerial attacks, he just knows where the ball is going and gets there first...
Tenuta's use of speed vs. size to his advantage is a big plus for the Jackets... because we don't always get the biggest lineman around...
Whoever would replace him should be a strategist along these same guidelines...

You know, I was thinking about this the other day. I, too, find myself getting caught up sometimes in all of the hype and wishing that our offense was putting up better numbers. Then I thought about it this way....in the years GOL and the Fridge were here, we could light it up with the best of them and even (if I remember correctly) led the nation in yards per game one of the years Lil Joe was at the helm. But we couldn't stop anyone. I can remember games where we'd score 34 or 35 points and either lose the game, or just barely win.

The point is, conservative offenses may not be sexy, but if you combine that with a very fast and aggressive defense, that makes for a pretty tough to beat team sometimes. As Bear Bryant said more than once, "If you put a ball in the air, there ain't be 3 things that can happen....and 2 of 'ems bad!" For me...I'll be real quiet about the complaining regarding our offensive stats...just as long as we keep putting more points on the board than our opponents are!

GO JACKETS!

....I believe Spencer (I know several want him because he is a GT grad.) in time will get a crack somewhere..But i think it will not happen for a while...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You could be right that now may not be the time (assuming Tenuta leaves). But while I'm sure some might want Spencer because he is a "GT man," I'm not among that group. The reason I think Spencer might be the guy is because of the kinds of things I'm hearing about him from people I know who have a clue (or who I think have a clue
wink.gif
).

I also look at the way the DL has played the last two years under his tutelage and I can't help but be amazed at what he has accomplished with the hand he has been dealt. Now let me say that I think the players he has are talented. But the youth factor and the lack of numbers is what I'm talking about. He seems to be getting the most out of what he has and also seems to be able to motivate those guys. I've also heard that he has a good mind for defensive scheming.

So that's my rationale. Add to that his recruiting ability and I think he might make a good DC if Chan would promote from within when/if Jon Tenuta leaves (and when he does, and I think he will at some point) I will thank him for the great work he's done here and wish him well for having left us better than when he arrived.

If Tenuta were to leave GT at the end of the year (and please God, I hope he doesn't), do we have someone on the staff capable of coming in and running the defense in Tenuta's fashion? UNC didn't.

If we went looking elsewhere for a replacement, who do you think Chan could seriously go after that would be a legitimate candidate? NFL coach maybe?
I guess what I'm asking is, what makes Tenuta so good? Could we expect the same types of schemes and style from someone else? Is Tenuta THAT unique??

A name that comes to my mind is Ralph
Nunn currently at the Miami Dolphins.

Nunn once coached the GMC Bulldogs in
Milledgeville as their HC and with much
success.

I also beelieve that Coach Gailey tried
to bring him from the Dolphins to GT when
he was hired as our HC.

"Just my opinion and food for thought."

"IT'S BREAT TO BEE A YELLOW JACKET!"
"TO HELL WITH GEORGIA!!!!"
Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, Gators!!

Originally posted by BarrelORum:
If Tenuta were to leave GT at the end of the year (and please God, I hope he doesn't), do we have someone on the staff capable of coming in and running the defense in Tenuta's fashion? UNC didn't.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I think that Glenn Spencer would be the guy. I have no clue who we'd look at outside of GT right now. I haven't had the time to put together a list like that.

I feel VERY strongly that Chan goes outside the current staff (unlike Oleary he has proven he will bring in someone and even if he hasnt had previous ties with that person..Chan had not known Tenuta before he brought him in..He was recommended by Dave Braine and Dan Reeves whom both knew him) a lot of Gaileys success has been from Tenutas contribution..Chan has only been here 2 years and doesnt have the luxury to experiment and promote an assit. that doesnt have a long track record as a PROVEN DC...tenuta was a TOP DC at both Ohio State and UNC...He was an easy pick for Gailey..

And i feel as Chris reis said: What makes Tenuta the best is his Scheming...he can look at an offense and come up with the perfect scheme to stop them...Ive said before he is THE BEST Dc we have had since Don Lindsey from the ole Black Watch days....

well, Spencer and the Brick coach DL and LBs. Tenuta directly coaches the DBs, which is where direct coaching will take the biggest hit if Tenuta leaves.

As far as schemes go .. i have no idea about how Tenuta co-ordinates all the positions and schemes against offenses and stuff.

I hope Tenuta doesn't leave and if he does, I hope Gailey can reel in a comparable or better DC.

Gailey's style of offense requires strong punting and a good defense.

Before beeware jumps in and hijacks this post, here's a preemptive strike.

Yes we know that Gailey's team this year is averaging very poorly in terms of points scored per game. We've seen that stat many times now.

Gailey is very conservative. He wants to play ball control offense. Gailey's coaching philosophy is to have a great defense and an offense that can control the ball.

So for Gailey to succeed, Tech will need a DC who can build and maintain a solid defense. We also need strong special teams.

Originally posted by ylojk8:

Gailey's style of offense requires strong punting and a good defense.

Gailey is very conservative. He wants to play ball control offense. Gailey's coaching philosophy is to have a great defense and an offense that can control the ball.

So for Gailey to succeed, Tech will need a DC who can build and maintain a solid defense. We also need strong special teams.[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">And the fact that Gailey has only been here 2 years and unjustly felt a lot of heat after last year (I believe mostly from internet geeks that Knew nothing about football)..he cant afford to just experiment with any of our current assistants and promote them to DC..None have been a successful DC at another Football power like Ohio state and UNC in which Tenuta had..In a few years after Gailey has established us as a perrenial contender he may start promoting from within....

Originally posted by ylojk8:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I think that this is not necessarily true. Right now Chan is coaching our offense pretty conservatively, but when you look at the weapons he has deploying them conservatively is our best way to win. I think if he had two speedsters at receiver and a homerun hitter running back and a more experienced QB with a strong OL playing consistently you'd see far more firepower on display.

Go back to when he was at Miami and I think you'll see similar circumstances. He had a QB that wasn't really a guy to set the world on fire, he had one receiver who was getting the job done and he was a rookie, and he had a serviceable tailback. His OL was OK. He did what he felt was necessary to win and that was not to take too many chances because he knew he was going to have to rely on the defense to play really well and they played well enough to get to the playoffs.

The following year they brought in a guy who took more chances and had a homerun hitter tailback but didn't do what he needed to based on the abilities of the rest of the team (defense and special teams). And the Dolphins did NOT make the playoffs.

I do think that you'll see from Chan Gailey exactly what he thinks his offense needs to do to win a game. If he believes that with the defense we've got that his offense needs to open it up then you'll see him open it up. If he feels that with our defense his offense needs to just hold onto the ball as much as possible then that's what you'll see.

Yes, right now he's being pretty conservative but I don't think that that is just because it is his nature and if you look at his career overall I think that has been his pattern.

Originally posted by BarrelORum:

If we went looking elsewhere for a replacement, who do you think Chan could seriously go after that would be a legitimate candidate? NFL coach maybe?

If coach doesnt get a proven DC from the college ranks i would like to see him get one from the NFL...before Tenuta was named as DC there was a guy Gailey pursued that at the time was with the Dallas Cowboys..His name fails me...He was a Def. Line coach..He had also coached in the college ranks at Clemson...He was quoted as saying he COULD recruit BIG Def. Lineman when he was told GT has always had trouble getting them...Does anyone remember his name?????

you're probably right JOJATK.

as a ball coach, i'm sure Gailey will try to implement whatever he believes has the best chance of success with the cards that are his to control.

perhaps I worded it too strong but I do get the feeling that Gailey would like to have a great defense with a ball control offense. I think that is what he will strive for.

If he cannot have a great defense and a ball control offense .. then he will look to adapt. Do you share this perception?

YLO...I DO agree with your assesment.....

I believe he believes in a GREAT DEFENSE and a Ball Control offense...At least Emmitt has said that...Gailey has proven that he likes to Move the chains and keep the clock running...He has said he adapts to whatever the situation is...BUT the aforementioned is his 1st Preference...When he gets all his OL Recruits in here and some great RBs with speed he will be more successful at his philosophy..Gailey said that ALL recruiting emphasis is On DEFENSE 1st then offense...That is a fact that he stated that...He also joked "he may come around to this passing game eventually".....

Back