Defensive Coordinator??

Originally posted by ylojk8:
as a ball coach, i'm sure Gailey will try to implement whatever he believes has the best chance of success with the cards that are his to control.

perhaps I worded it too strong but I do get the feeling that Gailey would like to have a great defense with a ball control offense. I think that is what he will strive for.

If he cannot have a great defense and a ball control offense .. then he will look to adapt. Do you share this perception?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">ylojk8, I think you've described nirvana for almost very coach out there
smile.gif

But seriously, I do think that most coaches would like to be able to control the ball on offense so that they don't have to keep putting their defense, no matter how strong, out onto the field every few plays. One of the reasons the run and shoot was not always that successful in the pros was because it put so much pressure on the defense. They were playing a disproportionate amount of time and just couldn't play that hard for so much of the game.

I would say rather than conservative a better description might be balanced. Not just between passing and running but between being explosive and being methodical. There are times when each is appropriate.

BLACKWATCH,

I beleive you are thinking of George Edwards, the current DC for the Redskins. At the time we hired Tenuta, he was the LB coach for the Cowboys and he had previously coached DL at UGA.

The guy im talking about coached at Clemson and did not coach at UGA..Check it out if you can..If Edwards didnt coach at Uga then he might be the guy...I do know that Jerry Jones gave him a raise after he caught wind Gailey was pursuing him...Did Edwards just take a job in washington this year? the guy im talking about coached at Dallas up until this year...

BlackWatch, you are correct, I will support whoever is selected. I am just making a prediction here.

Father Time

how about ..... GO'Leavy???

i know it wouldnt happen, but i would LOVE to get the old curmudgeon back as our DC!!

for him, though, i think he will stay where he is unless he gets an offer for HC at a top25 school or in the NFL somewhere.. dont laugh, teams need D

Buzzcar....

Im rooting for george up in Minnesota and he has done a great job as DC..But the truth is, Oleary's defenses at GT (Both from 1989-1991) and from 1994-2001 were nowhere near as good as Tenuta's or Don Lindsey's in the mid 80's..I hear all these statistics guys who throw all these statistics around but they dont mean much....The fact is that under Tenuta we have a shutem down type defense that we also had in the 80's under Lindsey...Meaning our defense can control a Football game and dominate it...See the Auburn and Maryland Games...None of Olearys Defenses even in 1990 could control a game like that...Guys like Tenuta and Lindsey are a dime a dozen..they have that God-given gift of being able to scheme against an offense and shut em down..They both are great motivators too..you can be a great motivator but without the gift of being able to scheme it isnt the same....

Agree 100% with JOJATK.

I will pull for Spencer wherever he might happen to be because he is a "Tech man."

BUT

When it comes to hiring someone for our staff - I could give a rat's butt if he is a "Tech man." I want the "Best man" for the job and I don't care if he's a mutt.

Glenn was super successful at WG and look at the miracle he has wrought this year with our defensive line! They are continually outweighed (by large numbers) but they are NEVER outfought.

I think Spencer's record speaks for itself and he should deserve a long hard look if Tenuta should leave (hopefully in the VERY distant future).
smile.gif

I agree about Spencer. Not because he's a Tech man but because he's a fine coach. His track record as at West Georgia was excellent. He's taken a defensive line this year that includes a converted linebacker and a true freshman and they still have been a solid unit against the run and put pressure on the QB in most games this year. He would make a fine defensive coordinator.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
Put this down in your list of things to remember. Spencer will be the next defensive coordinator at Tech.

I have nothing to base this on other than my opinion. I believe Gailey kept Roof and O'Brien as a courtesy. I believe he kept Spencer after his interview with him because Spencer impressed Gailey.

From Spencer's bio, he not only was a good defensive coach, his teams at West Georgia College set many defensive records. He has also improved our play at DT since he has coached the defensive line.

Add his experience from WGC with two years under Tenuta, and he is a "can't miss" to me.

By the way, If I were Gailey, I would hand the offensive reins over to Nix next year. Personally, I think a head coach needs to spend his time on the overall team components.

Instead of concentrating on the offense, he needs to monitor every little detail of the team. This attention to detail will make him a better coach and the team more complete.

Father Time
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Tenuta will probably be here at least one more year and in fact will not leave unless he gets an NFL job..He made that clear when he came here under Gailey..The fact that he left UNC because he felt under Gailey he had his best shot at making it into the NFL..This has been his goal all along.. None of us know for sure (When he does leave) Who his replacement will be..I can only Trust Gailey because of his great track record...he WILL put the very best guy there...When this does happen i would hope this does not hurt egos (much like it did when Gailey was hired and certain people CANT let go becuase their pick didnt get chosen as Head Coach) if some here dont get their wish and have their man chosen...We will then get into another debate EVERY day as to how the new DC is doing....But im sure you ahso wouldnt do that..up until now you have proven to be a very respectful individual...But i know SOME here WILL start another agenda if Spencer or the man they want is not chosen....

Back