Didn't one of dipshits think Art Briles deserved a shot?

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Just looked it up. In addition to the millions Briles earned at Baylor, he got $15.1 million to go away.

18in32

Petard Hoister
Just looked it up. In addition to the millions Briles earned at Baylor, he got $15.1 million to go away.
That’s pretty good evidence that there was inadequate proof he was guilty.

The key difference is that Jewel was vindicated but Briles has not been.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
That was @gtphd, but I thought Briles deserved another chance, too.

Just to be clear, I am against rape. Heck, I'm cool castrating rapists.

But I'd like to see the evidence that Briles either facilitated anything criminal or covered it up after the fact. It seems like the guy at the top often gets blamed for stuff he had no idea was going on – this applies to Briles, Pitino, lots of CEO's. (Anybody see that Conrad Black op-ed a few days ago claiming Nixon was innocent?)

And this phenomenon is more common when the MSM has doubts about the enterprise the man at the top is running – big business or football. I still don't believe there's anyway Joe Pa intended to cover up child rape to protect an assistant coach.
Pacino basically portrayed JoePa as a clueless and out of touch old man, and I suspect that is close to accurate. I don't have a strong opinion on Briles, although his son comes across kinda scummy. I dont think he is owed anything, but if someone wants to give him a shot, I'm not mad.

gtphd

What a time to be alive
From what I have read about the Baylor case, the school president and administration were more responsible for the culture there than Briles and his staff.
The issue at Baylor wasn’t “football players are raping people”, it was that “Baylor students are raping people” and the administration kept it under wraps to protect their reputation to students. Students alleged rape to the administration, authorities, and press, and the Baylor PD worked with Baylor administration to hide it. The press ignored it because they couldn’t get any cooperation from the school and, frankly, a girl getting raped by a nobody doesn’t sell papers.

Then an athlete was accused. Baylor admin and police attempted to hide it like the others including from coaches and AA staff, but since black football players raping white women sells papers, it blew up. The evidence is that the first time Briles heard about it, he suspended everyone involved immediately (which is the strongest action he could take). Regardless, the admin first blamed the “football culture” (which was a plea to a racist stereotype) to protect the rest of the university. They fired Briles and ultimately had to pay him off because he was innocent.

Did Briles surrender all his earnings at Baylor? He made millions. Jewell and his mother were skewered in the press. A hero - he saved lives. The press hounded him.
Care to set aside your man love for Briles long enough to think that over?
Jewell was drug through the mud, but made $15 M, which is probably 500 years of earnings for him. He was also completely exonerated and was commended by the governor of Georgia. Meanwhile Briles is still unemployed and will never coach again. Bit of a difference.

Edited to add: Very happy with what CGC is doing so far. Just think Briles is getting a bum rap and deserves to coach somewhere.

Last edited:

JC7

Varsity Lurker
Well, in non-Lefty world, empathy is a healthy human connection to others. But since Lefties think families should be done away with altogether (on the way to their godless utopia), they need some kind of other reason to give a sh-t about what happens to girls, like this notion that all men are sexist pigs who want to rape women.
How is this a left or right issue?
It's a complicated situation that is pretty disturbing in the details.
If Briles had any knowledge of the events behind the assaults, he should never coach again.
With the uncertainty of his involvement, there is a belief that maybe he should be able to coach somewhere--a high school at the very least.
Either way, it's difficult.

gtphd

What a time to be alive
With the uncertainty of his involvement...
Just to be clear, there are emails say to the effect of, "We need to make sure the Athletic Association doesn't know about this." and another that says, "It appears Art Briles just found out about this and suspended the student involved. We need to make sure he doesn't find out about the others."

JJacket

That’s pretty good evidence that there was inadequate proof he was guilty.

The key difference is that Jewel was vindicated but Briles has not been.
That is evidence of Baylor wanting this out of the spotlight as quickly as possible. Give him money. Tie into it a non disclosure about what was happening. Baylor escapes further damage to the program

Are you really this naive?

18in32

Petard Hoister
Just to be clear, there are emails say to the effect of, "We need to make sure the Athletic Association doesn't know about this." and another that says, "It appears Art Briles just found out about this and suspended the student involved. We need to make sure he doesn't find out about the others."
Linky link?

18in32

Petard Hoister
That is evidence of Baylor wanting this out of the spotlight as quickly as possible. Give him money. Tie into it a non disclosure about what was happening. Baylor escapes further damage to the program

Are you really this naive?
And just when I thought we were getting along so well!

JJacket

The issue at Baylor wasn’t “football players are raping people”, it was that “Baylor students are raping people” and the administration kept it under wraps to protect their reputation to students. Students alleged rape to the administration, authorities, and press, and the Baylor PD worked with Baylor administration to hide it. The press ignored it because they couldn’t get any cooperation from the school and, frankly, a girl getting raped by a nobody doesn’t sell papers.

Then an athlete was accused. Baylor admin and police attempted to hide it like the others including from coaches and AA staff, but since black football players raping white women sells papers, it blew up. The evidence is that the first time Briles heard about it, he suspended everyone involved immediately (which is the strongest action he could take). Regardless, the admin first blamed the “football culture” (which was a plea to a racist stereotype) to protect the rest of the university. They fired Briles and ultimately had to pay him off because he was innocent.

Jewell was drug through the mud, but made $15 M, which is probably 500 years of earnings for him. He was also completely exonerated and was commended by the governor of Georgia. Meanwhile Briles is still unemployed and will never coach again. Bit of a difference.

Edited to add: Very happy with what CGC is doing so far. Just think Briles is getting a bum rap and deserves to coach somewhere.
He didn't "make" $15 million dollars. He had to sue because of what was done to him. Briles got to walk away with a negotiated settlement.

Briles had TWO good seasons at Baylor. Both of which ended in bowl losses. Why you put him on a pedestal like you do is puzzling. He is nothing special.

18in32

Petard Hoister
You can believe me or not - don't really care. It's in my past posts.
Wow, you're touchy. I'm on your side. Just wanted something beside anonymous internet chatter to be able to share with people.

gtGreg768b

Elemenopee
I read the title as "Didn't one if you dipshots think that Art Briles deserved a öööö?"

79tech

Damn Good Rat

But I'd like to see the evidence that Briles either facilitated anything criminal or covered it up after the fact. It seems like the guy at the top often gets blamed for stuff he had no idea was going on – this applies to Briles, Pitino, lots of CEO's. (Anybody see that Conrad Black op-ed a few days ago claiming Nixon was innocent?)

And this phenomenon is more common when the MSM has doubts about the enterprise the man at the top is running – big business or football. I still don't believe there's anyway Joe Pa intended to cover up child rape to protect an assistant coach.
Joe Pa hid his head in the sand like an ostrich

HamiltonFan

Varsity Lurker

I think a lot of it comes down to head coaches hiring assistants or other folks around the program they know will do anything to get things accomplished and then--like others have alluded to--sticking their heads in the sand and pleading ignorance. Technically, they may have no idea...but only because they've set it up that way for reasons of culpability (or so they may have thought). Lastly, as a Louisvillian I can attest that Pitino was/is a grade A sleaze bag.

G776T

Not pastor material.
From what I have read about the Baylor case, the school president and administration were more responsible for the culture there than Briles and his staff. Didn't Briles get a big settlement? I admit that I have not delved into any of it too deeply. Every decent person is against rape. But there is a lot of hypocrisy in our society. We reward athletic ability/achievement at such a ridiculous rate that the players create a dangerously high level of entitlement--to every thing--cars, women, money, grades. Many of these young men have had no limits whatsoever placed upon their behavior for ten years before they reach college. When things boil over and people suffer real tragedy in their lives, someone has to be blamed. None of this justifies punishing Art Briles if--IF--he was not involved. If he was involved, then arrest him, don't pay him millions to go away. Every program in America has players capable of being involved in crimes such as have taken place at Baylor. Hopefully the leadership at other programs (and Baylor) does a better job of leading their young, "entitled" men.
We reward success, there was a guy at our company that got caught masterbating on a video conference call, fired obviously, but hired almost instantly by a competitor. Why? Cuz he was a hell of a salesman.

18in32

Petard Hoister
We reward success, there was a guy at our company that got caught masterbating on a video conference call, fired obviously, but hired almost instantly by a competitor. Why? Cuz he was a hell of a salesman.
Maybe he reformed – hate to give up on people