Do you trust our AD

Valdosta_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We finished 5th in the ACC in 2020 and 4th in 2021 followed by a god damn ACC Title. Don’t just make up öööö to fit your narrative.

Baseball is positioned to become a factory with the new facilities and two elite batting/pitching coaches.

Women’s BB is relevant for the first time in history.

Volleyball is relevant for the first time in history.

Golf is a perennial powerhouse.

It’s actually fairly remarkable the shape of the AA outside of football. And I 100% understand that football dwarfs the rest in terms of importance. But I also don’t want to fire T-Stan just to bring in a new guy who is still gonna be hamstrung financially for football and might rock the boat with the success we’re having elsewhere.
But football pays the bills and no one actually gives a öööö about any of those other sports.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
But football pays the bills and no one actually gives a öööö about any of those other sports.
I certainly do. College baseball is ööööing awesome. But it’s okay if you don’t.

People allegedly start caring IF the primary sports start sucking. Hey, we’re a Golf School!!!
The “Other GT Sports” thread was bumping long before CGC was hired.

oldgoldbee

Flats Noob
I trust TS as far as I can spit, and believe me, I cannot spit very far!

Our football program has been hamstrung with pitiful AD's ever since Dr. Homer Rice retired. I don't
have to name them we all know who they were.

I have never understood why the GTAA didn't build on the success of the GT Athletics during Homer Rice years.
The basketball program was successful as well making it to the final four under Coach Bobby Cremins, in addition
to piss-poor coaching hires in football, the ball was also dropped on basketball coaches thanks in a large
part to those Golden Parachute contracts that former AD the brain-less wonder initiated without any forethought
to the ramifications they would have on the GTAA if the coaches failed to deliver.

I have said it many times the void has never been filled with the deaths of some of Coach Dodd's former players like;
Kim King, Taz Anderson and Larry Morris......................................................sigh!

Milledgeville

Varsity Lurker
Keep showing your class or i mean your ass
Wait, you like a good muffin-ass?

Call me crazy, but I do not see what anyone, including you, sees what different comments or different insights can come from yet another post, phrased somewhat differently, about the same issue?

The son of my nephew (not sure what that makes him) is on a football scholarship at Tech. We got an earful over the Holidays and, yes, Collins is not fully supported by all the players. He has done, said and still does some douche-chill-inducing things. You want the Triple Option? The players hated it...TO fatigue had set in. Generally, with a few exceptions, no players wants to revert back to it.

What Collins has done that is important to the program (per the nephew/son thing and a friend that sales athletic equipment to high schools) is reestablish the relationship between Georgia Tech and the Georgia high school ADs and head Coaches. This relationship suffered and significantly weakened under Johnson. Johnson was not as involved or present in the recruiting process.

For all of his faults, Collins has reestablished this important link. He is present in recruitment and he is physically present in these high schools and in the recruiting effort. While he doesn't deserve credit for much else, give him credit for that.

Now, I rest. On my sweet muffin-ass.

originalwombat

Damn Good Rat
I'm sure to be ridiculed, but I'm not ready to write Collins off yet. He's a helluva recruiter, and has just learned that coaching matters a lot more than he probably thought. I'll assume he knows why Coach X, Y, and Z didn't work and, therefore, hired guys that won't make the same mistakes.

I've always said I would have high expectations for Year 5, and that I wouldn't care how we got there. Going 3-9 for the first three years wasn't my expectation, but if Year 5 is 9-3 I really won't care. The question on all our minds is if he is capable of ever going 9-3. Many have written him off. I haven't.

The Jacket

The Coat
I'm sure to be ridiculed, but I'm not ready to write Collins off yet. He's a helluva recruiter, and has just learned that coaching matters a lot more than he probably thought. I'll assume he knows why Coach X, Y, and Z didn't work and, therefore, hired guys that won't make the same mistakes.

I've always said I would have high expectations for Year 5, and that I wouldn't care how we got there. Going 3-9 for the first three years wasn't my expectation, but if Year 5 is 9-3 I really won't care. The question on all our minds is if he is capable of ever going 9-3. Many have written him off. I haven't.
I have not written him off, but I cannot pretend I'm not close. By far the largest continued source of butthurt for me is the way he behaved towards the fans. When your results are this bad, historically bad, you don't get to insult the fans and treat their unhappiness as unreasonable. You know the team has sucked, why are you alienating the people who want to see you succeed?

I know how Collins can keep his job. I do not know how he can make himself likeable again, or that he even cares to be.

gtleviathan

Dodd-Like
He's a helluva recruiter, and has just learned that coaching matters a lot more than he probably thought.
It bottles my mind that a dude who made a living as a high-level college football coach would think that coaching is overrated. I mean, the results so far back up your theory. It's just a completely foreign concept to me.

The good news is that caring about coaching seems like a pretty quick fix. I guess we'll see in the fall.

For all of his faults, Collins has reestablished this important link. He is present in recruitment and he is physically present in these high schools and in the recruiting effort. While he doesn't deserve credit for much else, give him credit for that.
I know how Collins can keep his job. I do not know how he can make himself likeable again, or that he even cares to be.

Making two very important assumptions:
1) Next season is another thorough rebuke in the W-L
2) This is really Collins' dream job and he's really been all for GT all along

Collins could immediately accept a salary reduction to $500,000/yr. The $1,500,000/yr saved paying him is redirected into the assistant coaching salary pool. The most important hires aren't brand managers or digital content team, they're offensive and defensive coordinator. If you're paying less than $1,250,000/ea for those, you're not getting top flight coordinators. Let's see some Broyles Award winners who didn't come from a gimme factory like Bama.

The sales pitch is clear: Collins is here to keep bringing in talent, which seems to happen regardless of results on the field. The GTAA will then spend what is necesssary and fire/hire whomever necessary after that until results are achieved and maintained. When results show up in the W-L column, Collins can have his old salary back.

Let's call it the Scott Frost long term plan, hypothetically speaking.

BuzzinWreck78

Helluva Engineer

No, he didn't just learn that coaching matters, but if he can sell that BS he will.

Liberty

Kayar hunu bhanda marnu ramro
@Milledgeville Great post!

The HS relationship building angle is the singular aspect G*C* has going for him and he’s been a significant upgrade there.

Honestly I believe we’ve seen mixed recruiting results although the “metric number” is better. I’m not sold the above impact has had any tangible outcome with the single exception of Gibbs. He’s the only star caliber player we’ve recruited. The rest are shades of grey better as rated, but possibly overall worse for the team. The scheme we’re running now requires much higher rated players. That gets lost in all the vitriol, dick measuring between TO and no TO.

Maybe, just maybe we got coaching for the offense? Maybe just maybe G*C* stays out of the way and lets Long see what he can do? I wish we had the same plan on D.

clapper

Dodd-Like
Making two very important assumptions:
1) Next season is another thorough rebuke in the W-L
2) This is really Collins' dream job and he's really been all for GT all along

Collins could immediately accept a salary reduction to $500,000/yr. The $1,500,000/yr saved paying him is redirected into the assistant coaching salary pool. The most important hires aren't brand managers or digital content team, they're offensive and defensive coordinator. If you're paying less than $1,250,000/ea for those, you're not getting top flight coordinators. Let's see some Broyles Award winners who didn't come from a gimme factory like Bama.

The sales pitch is clear: Collins is here to keep bringing in talent, which seems to happen regardless of results on the field. The GTAA will then spend what is necesssary and fire/hire whomever necessary after that until results are achieved and maintained. When results show up in the W-L column, Collins can have his old salary back.

Let's call it the Scott Frost long term plan, hypothetically speaking.
Despite the fact that you are off on CGC's contract value, you just proposed that he reduce his annual pay by 85%. Scott frost reduced his contract by 20%. There is absolutely no one that would take an 85% pay cut to keep their job. And why should he? Would you? We signed on to this. We owe him whether he performs or not.

While people are bitching about the seven years (at $3.3MM/year), it is effectively a 4-5 year contract at $4.5MM-$5.5MM per year that any other mid- to high P5 coach is getting with an annual salary we can afford spread over more years. You can question whether he was the right person for the job, but we couldn't afford a 4-5 year contract at those rates. If he panned out, we were getting a deal. And with four years left, we still could. But any coach that we hired with a 4-5 year contract that performed like he has would likely have been fired now and we would owe them the same amount as CGC. Instead, we get a reduced rate for him to try to turn it around instead of performing another search.

Whether it works or not, I still support keeping him here for the duration and getting our finances in order instead of tacking on another coach's salary along with his buyout. Screw the conventional wisdom that he won't be able to recruit without an extension. He gets one when this contract is over, if he is deserving. People say you can't recruit if you don't have an extension. How the öööö does anyone know that? It's never been tried. Not only has it never been tried, that narrative comes from the coaches and their agents. If we're already seemingly locked out of being a major program again because of NIL and the portal, why the hell should we care about that?

AlaGold

Dodd-Like
Its sad to say but this yr will definitely be a make/break time to show progress.He's got to win 6 with a bowl. BUT--it ain't gonna be easy. Has lost THE top player plus 2 best WRs maybe, best OLman, best DT, best LB,, and both safeties (which may not be a loss) and the kicker..I don't see an obvious GOOD replacement for ANY of these guys.
Anything is possible but the odds are not good.