"Dodd's Luck", Condensed Version of Book.

Re: "Dodd\'s Luck", Condensed Version of Book.

Oldfoggy, you are right. The black player's name was Grier. He was flagged for interfering with Don Ellis, but Grier says Ellis actually pushed him and knocked him down.

Wade Mitchell says, to this day, if you ask Don Ellis if Grier committed pass interference against him, Ellis will not answer you.

Grier claims that every one was real nice to him in the bowl game. Near the end of the game, he was injured, and two Tech players helped him up off the field.

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Revised in a new post on 05/29/03

ahso I'm going to have to buy you a beer or what ever you want. I was at Fla field the 17-18 game and saw Jr. Pass for the win. But truthfully Fla was better but Tech had Dodd and that almost made the difference. Ahso I can't count the times i've driven hundreds of miles to see Tech and Dodd one time even rented a plane and went to ATL to see tech play that was back in the 60's and Tech lost on an interception run back for a TD.

Oldfoggy, I hope to meet you and some of the other fans on the boards in some future games. I feel good about the coming year and will try to talk the wife into attending a few games this year.

smile.gif

ahso I was in the old south endzone when stovall (LSU) ran back for that win also saw navy in Jax when tech won 14-0 had to sit on the navy side and we were sitting next to a lt commander and remember my dad (god rest his soul) told the commander "now commander you don't really think navy is going to win this game" the commander just smiled. He and dad ended up haveing a slug of whiskey together. By the way my dad when alive was the num 1 tech fan of all time.

I became a football fan of Dodd and Tech football back in the late 40s and followed Dodd and Tech's teams through the years.

I bought the book, Dodd's Luck, after it was published, and this is the third time I have read it. I am more impressed with Dodd's philosophy of football and his life after each reading.

I often open it and read parts of it when there is a question on the boards regarding events back in those days. The book has been a good reference book for this old mind.

Thanks, however, it was an enjoyment for me to read it again and share the posts.

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Thank you, sir, for the contribution of your time and this enjoyable information.

I am still deleting old posts. I came across this one and decided to bring it back to the top for all the newcomers to Stingtalk.

smile.gif

i will have to find a copy and read it

thanks ahso

Absoisee,

This could be the best post ever. Thanks and thanks for your hard work.

I'd love to buy you a beer sometime.

AH, thanks a lot .it bring back a lot of old memories.
Coach Dodd was a class act.I had the oppty to sit with him at a banquet after he retired and was playing a lot of tennis.His favorite doubles partner was Bitsy Grant,the famous player for whom the tennis ctr was named.I asked how he and Bitsy were doing as I knew they won a bunch of Seniors tourneys.Coach said he wasn't playing with Bitsy anymore.I asked why and Coach merely said "Bitsy cheats".I almost fell out of my chair.Coach said Bitsy wanted to win so badly he would make bad line calls just to win. Coach got so embarrassed he just quit playing with Bitsy.
Coach again showed if you can't win right, lose.

ahso, why are you deleting old posts? and, particularly, why this one? it took a lot of work on your part, it is interesting to everyone, and it is not controversial. why not leave it?

Back